It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet Tony Giles , Blind , Severely Deaf and Traveling the World Alone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Just watched The Travel Show on BBC news which featured a man who impressed me so much I thought it worth sharing his story here , the man is inspirational .
Tony Giles has a rare genetic visual impairment which he was diagnosed with as a child , the condition meant the limited sight he had would diminish over time and has now left him totally blind.
At the age of six Tony was diagnosed as partially deaf and again over the years the condition deteriorated to the point he is now severely deaf having lost 80% of his hearing.

Undeterred by blindness , deafness and other physical problems Tony decided he wanted to travel and experience the world , so far he has visited 122 countries, crossed the Arctic Circle, visited every South American country and traveled across 50 US States and all 10 of Canada’s Provinces.

In January 2004 I undertook an epic backpacking solo world journey; visiting parts of South and North America, Mexico, Cuba, and most of Southern Africa. During that year-long journey, I ventured to the most southern part of the South American Continent. I also undertook my first solo hike in the Rocky Mountains, Canada and, technically speaking, put my feet in the Arctic Ocean when I entered the water off Churchill, north Canada.

To date, I have visited 122 countries, totally blind and partially deaf! I have bungee jumped 16 times and sky dived 3 times. Been Zorbing twice; both times in New Zealand, driven jet boats, a large jeep, ridden motorbikes, jet skied and water skied, to name a few activities. In 2004 I nearly drowned whilst white water rafting on the Zambezi River in Zambia, Southern Africa. A frightening, but thrilling experience!

Tony's website
Tony's Youtube channel

Sometimes the most remarkable people are those we've never heard of , this was the case for me but now I feel richer for discovering the life and story of this incredible man , Tony Giles , the blind traveler.
I hope his story inspires you as it has me.

edit on 1-4-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

traveling around taking in the sights
go him

seriously though rock on. id probably fall into a depression and load myself up with drugs and alcohol and pull a hendrix one day

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Excellent story!!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Fantastic!
I read that he was in Nashville in 2011, it would have been interesting to meet/talk with him even if only briefly.
I'll add him to my list of hikers/travelers that inspire me.
Whenever I'm down and boo hooey that it's too cold or too rainy or I'm too tired I usually think of Grandma Gatewood but, I'll think of Tony too now and quit my complaining.
Or ease it up a bit LOL

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Yeah , it's easy to think you can't do something but Tony is a prime example that the only thing stopping me doing things is me.

edit on 1-4-2018 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I wonder if the cameraman is with Tony on his travels alone?

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

No , the cameraman is there filming him for the BBC program.
I've fixed the youtube link to Tony's channel.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: olaru12

No , the cameraman is there filming him for the BBC program.
I've fixed the youtube link to Tony's channel.

Thanks, but that's a lot of video recording Tony's adventures on his traveles. I commend Tony for getting out there despite his handicaps and he is a wonderful inspiration to everyone.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 1-4-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

That's pretty impressive.

In my former home town of Wayne, there's a house built by a blind man.

People shouldn't be deterred from their ambitions.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well I suppose I should stop saying "It looks like a blind person built it" when I'm out fixing other people's mistakes!
Pretty cool house and all the measurements in his head.
Amazing!

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I literally lived around the corner from that house and never knew it until many years later. It's a neat house and even the interior had plenty of detail.

edit on 1-4-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
sounds expensive

top topics

join