It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are those Gun Laws working out for you, England?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

To big for home defence, I'd end up slashing my ceiling lol.
I'll stick with incidental tools which happen to be scattered around my house.
If I slashed the burgler in my house with a trowel I guarantee the Crown Prosecution Service would look more favourably on me than using a sword.
...be careful with UK law mate

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

I have had lessons at the Leeds armouries and have armour and such, Once my shoulder gets better I will be having a few fights with me pals at the local park in Huddersfield we tape it off and go all fror it with blunts.
My new sharp will be used for watermelons and pop bottles in the back yard, my neighbours are all used to me and the local bobbies know what I'm like so it's all good.
But when the aliens come it is going to be a cross between Independence Day and Monty Python and the holy grail.
Can't wait

Here is me winning my last bout.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

My new sharp will be used for watermelons and pop bottles in the back yard...

Good call, you never know when you'll be walking down the street, minding your own business, only to be assaulted by Mr. Seedless Watermelon and his bad hombre sidekick 2Liter Bottle.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I may try to get a pig head thinking on.
Wait seedless watermelons? wow you guys in the states are so far ahead we only have ones with seeds in around my area but I am up north.
Reminds me when I went to Scarbourgh with some bird and I saw a faded sign in a tat shop which said "Brand new from the USA Helium baloons".
lol.

edit on 2-4-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting
Oh wow, that's cool as # mate!

I wouldn't mind getting into that, only Morris Dancing in these parts though lol

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
his bad hombre sidekick 2Liter Bottle.

He's the one to watch, will knife you in the back in a heartbeat

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Don't knock Morris Dancing it's an English martial art
By the way that isn't obviously me in the video I'm much more handsome.
edit on 2-4-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting

Don't knock Morris Dancing it's an English martial art
By the way that isn't obviously me in the video I'm much more handsome.

I struggle with the martial art concept of Morris Dancing to be fair, but I respect the art.
Now burning tar barrel carrying, that's a real test of courage, here's a vid of 2009 when some prick put some explosive canister in one as a bloke was carrying it...

Ottery St Mary, the only place left in the UK where carrying burning barrels of tar is still a thing to prove prowess and bravery.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Man in his 20s is stabbed to death to become 12th capital murder victim in 19 days as London killing rate overtakes New York's for first time

The US has the 14th highest murder rate in the world. The United Kingdom is ranked 71st.

When handguns were legal in the UK, the homicide rate was 2.5. Now it is 1.2.

The fallacy that more guns equals safer citizens, is just that, a fallacy.

As a Brit, I'd love everyone to be armed just because our government is a cesspit and you just never know what the police state has in store around the corner. However, our murder rate would double overnight. And it would effect the ethnic minority communities more than most.

Knife crime has nothing to do with guns in the London. Knife crime and acid attacks particulary effects the minority groups. Similar to America. Black men are 6% of the US population. Yet take them away, and the US crime stastistics, including violent crime, and murders accross the board go down by HALF.

edit on 2 4 2018 by Debunkology because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Debunkology
Yep I posted stats on a previous page regarding the disproportionate stabbyness of black London males compared to Asians and white blokes.
May have been in the other similar thread but certainly in 2010 the black youths were massively more stabby than anyone else.
EDIT
It was a link to a freedom of information request to City of London police, the words from the horses mouth which doesn't say anything usually unless a freedom of information request is made.
Black youths are stabbing black youths to death more than any other demographic.
edit on 2-4-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
It's more about reduced funding of our police. That's the problem. Gun control works extremely well here. Our police will actually give a black guy a chance to give up rather than instantly shooting him dead for grabbing his phone.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: network dude

why?

Because there would be more guns in circulation - I really thought that would be self-explanatory.

I was going for the angle that less guns doesn't equal less killing, as this article clearly shows. Human nature seems to not be hampered by the lack of tools, just use a different one.

A person who would kill another already has some moral deficiencies that exist well beyond our laws and rules of society. How can one marvel at the miracle of birth, and then end the life of a grown child is beyond me. I just think it's important for people who get all riled up about guns to realize that guns aren't why people kill others, they are just a convenient tool to use. And when one isn't readily available, a blade will do just fine.

For proper premeditated murder you are probably right that the tool doesn't matter. However many murders are escalations of fights, domestic arguments or other crimes. The presence of guns in such situations massively increases the chance of fatalities.

The homicide rate for London has consistently been half that of New York. A few anomalous months doesn't change that fact.

but the point remains, if a person wants to kill, the weapon isn't the limiting factor. Which was the only point I was trying to make.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: fencesitter85
It's more about reduced funding of our police. That's the problem. Gun control works extremely well here. Our police will actually give a black guy a chance to give up rather than instantly shooting him dead for grabbing his phone.

Reduced funding of police is everywhere but in my 98%+ white area we aren't stabbing each other to death.
Similar poverty, just fist fights and maybe baseball bats or whatever, but blaming poverty alone is disingenuous, I see cultural differences and if you don't my big question is why not?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Debunkology

As a Brit, I'd love everyone to be armed just because our government is a cesspit and you just never know what the police state has in store around the corner. However, our murder rate would double overnight. And it would effect the ethnic minority communities more than most.

Bingo.

I guess you really have to decide what's more important. For many of us, it's safety from tyranny. In the right hands, people are safe. In the wrong, people are not. I still want the freedom to choose regardless. I'm sorry for the idiots causing bloodshed but I feel that it's important to have weapons of my choice to defend me from those idiots and any others that infringe upon my right to exist.

You see... one side is protection from murderers. The other side is protection from government/police state. Using one against us to stop us from deflecting the other is not going to make us give them up.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris
And why have we not had a random nutter in the UK go into a school and start stabbing people?

You mean like the guy who climbed over the wall surrounding a primary school and went after the kids with a machete, just a day or two after Dunblane?

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Debunkology

When handguns were legal in the UK, the homicide rate was 2.5. Now it is 1.2.

The fallacy that more guns equals safer citizens, is just that, a fallacy.

One does not lead to the other in the way you present. How many of those homicides were (i) committed with a legally-held handgun, and (ii) not suicides? Pick a realistic average year, not one with a notable event such as 1996.

Further, even when handguns were legal, carrying them in public was not. Handguns have not been legal to own, let alone carry, for self defence (outside of a very, very specific set of situations) since before WW2.

You cannot draw a line between the changing firearms laws and the changing homicide rate, and then present it as contradicting the proposition that guns = safer citizens. The proposition may or may not be wrong, but your statistics say nothing about it.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

It's gotta be fair to say that if any twat could buy a gun then more people would be shot in Britain though.
The black youths stabbing each other cannot afford to rent the illegal guns off local 'proper' gangs.
Islamic terrorists use vehicles for multiple killings because the local gangs won't rent them firearms, let alone the Eastern Europeans who'd shoot them just for asking.
I'm quite happy with current UK firearms law. Youths are stabbing each other because it is the easiest weapon they can obtain, and thank # because the twats would be shooting each other if they could buy guns as easily as in the US.
# that being caught up in the crossfire, I can run away from a thug with a knife.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

originally posted by: fencesitter85

Reduced funding of police is everywhere but in my 98%+ white area we aren't stabbing each other to death.
Similar poverty, just fist fights and maybe baseball bats or whatever, but blaming poverty alone is disingenuous, I see cultural differences and if you don't my big question is why not?

*edit* just saw your post above this one; apologies, it seems we're of similar views. Cba editing it all tho!

I grew up in South Birmingham mate, I'm well aware of cultural challenges.

If you think having those impoverished areas able to access guns even more easily is a good idea, then I'm afraid we're at an impasse.

Best we just agree to disagree really.

But in short, if we can get our policing levels back go where they should be, and focus on getting people off drugs rather than just throwing them in jail, we'll see a marked reduction in violence pretty quickly.

As for gang violence, it's always been a thing and always will be. I'm not blaming immigration wholly by any means, but if an illegal immigrant commits a crime he should be sent back home instantly, instead of being fed and sheltered for a couple of years at our expense.

But guns are absolutely not the answer.
edit on 2-4-2018 by fencesitter85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: fencesitter85
I don't want chav #s able to have easy access to firearms...we are in agreement.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck

originally posted by: purplemer
a reply to: StallionDuck

It is not England it is the United Kingdom and to answer your question gun laws working just fine over here. We dont get mass school shootings anyway.

That was just London, not the UK.

Read the OP it is referred to as England not london. England is part of the UK>

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join