It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"non" tippers are a zero sum in society

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

You say that you have your haircut by the owner of many salons and you still tip - I wonder do you tip your surgeon if you have an operation?

Not many, just one, when she's not there I tip whomever is covering for her because I'm not a cheap bastard. And it's not customary to tip medical professionals.

Well I only ask because it seems that the argument is that tipping is to cover the short fall in low wages. A owner of many salons would not be on low wages and would not need to cover a short fall.
I understand that one has not been conditioned to tip a surgeon.

posted on Apr, 5 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

How do you know? Are all salon owners raking in the big money?

I also give her a Christmas gift, guess it's that pesky programming again.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

How do you know? Are all salon owners raking in the big money?

I know many salon owners and they all have very big houses. In fact the hairdresser I use at the moment has a home in this country and another in Spain as well as many holidays.

I also give her a Christmas gift, guess it's that pesky programming again.

A gift at Christmas is not the same as a tip to make up for short fall in earnings - it is a Christmas gift. I hope you get your hairdresser a really expensive gift at Christmas - you wouldn't want anyone thinking you are a cheap bastard!!
edit on 7-4-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

I know many salon owners and they all have very big houses.

Cool anecdotal story.

I hope you get your hairdresser a really expensive gift at Christmas - you wouldn't want anyone thinking you are a cheap bastard!!

I usually get her a case of Italian wine.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Many, many years ago I was a hairdresser (for 11 years of my life) - I never expected tips, even though I was on a low wage but was very grateful for any tips I received.
The last thing I ever did was accuse anyone of being a 'cheap bastard' - not everyone can afford to tip but that does not make them worthy of calling them names.
Sometimes I tip my window cleaner - but not every time. I sometimes give to homeless people begging on the streets but not always.
edit on 7-4-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Going out to dinner and not tipping makes someone a cheap bastard, if you cannot tip the server then you shouldn't be dining out. Stay home and eat your Hamburger Helper.

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
What is a 'Hamburger Helper'?

posted on Apr, 7 2018 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Cheap person food.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
The word "tip" or "gratuity" is really not what it is. It's a merit service fee at best.

That said, I generally "tip" 20-25% if I get decent, competent service. (i.e. I'm not waiting forever for the waiter/waitress to take my order, fill drinks, bring food out, bring the right food out, etc.). Now, the time for food is usually more on the kitchen, so some leeway there, but if it IS taking a while, the server should let us KNOW about it, so we don't blame them.

If we get really great service, I've tipped more, but that's more that the server has done all of the above, and then went above and beyond in some way to make it a great experience.

I have almost never left no tip, maybe like 3 times in my entire life, and those were cases where the service was just abysmal, and I left the advice that the server really is not in the right profession. Sorry, but like an above poster said, I won't reward true incompetence and piss poor service.

However, when we get bad service, but not horrible service, I'll still tip, just lower, like 10-15%. It's rare, but it has happened. Especially when a restaurant is empty, and yet we're still sitting there with empty drinks, of having to flag down other servers for things, etc. (or worse, I get up and just get it my damn self).

Look, my kids are both servers, so I get it, but at the same time, as a server, there are just certain cues to note, and those that ignore those cues, really need to find another occupation.

Examples:

Menus down = ready to order
Patrons looking around = they need something, go over and find out what
Patron not eating the meal = something is likely wrong, but they are too polite to tell you, and instead will tell you with a poor tip....ASK!
Patrons taking a long time to order = offer suggestions

If one is just too dense to not understand the above....they likely need a job where they are instructed a bit more.

posted on Apr, 10 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

What is a 'Hamburger Helper'?

Boxed meal, dry pasta and seasonings. Add water and ground beef. ( I usually do a pound and a quarter though, vs. a pound)

To be honest, I LOVE the Beefy Pasta version of this. I add mushrooms and a little more water and some gravy mix to it, as well as some diced onions, and a bit of seasoning salt.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join