It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Updates on The Descending Chinese Space Station

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
As promised here are my estimates as to when it will come down. If it continues descending at it's current rate of 1 mile every 4 hours and 30 minutes at 05:21am eastern time it will have descended to an altitude of 99 miles at which point it should begin rapid orbital decay.
It will have completed 5.22 orbits by then which puts it in the Pacific ocean.
And since China has never admitted that they ever lost control of the space station I bet they say that's exactly where they planned for it to come down.
edit on 3/31/2018 by MissSmartypants because: edit

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

Thanks and here's the tracking.
www.n2yo.com...

Right now it's over Guam

edit on 31-3-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

That rate of decent will change as atmospheric friction slows it down more and more.

You'll need to account for that. And as it starts to break up, that will also change things.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

That rate of decent will change as atmospheric friction slows it down more and more.

You'll need to account for that. And as it starts to break up, that will also change things.
Actually I've been tracking it for months and it has steadily increased in speed the lower it
gets. The increasing drag pulls it down faster and faster. The amount of drag at a specific altitude can increase or lower depending on the temperature of the atmosphere. The sun's inactivity the last few months has kept it from coming down sooner.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

www.n2yo.com...

Right now it's over Guam
Thank you for posting the link. N2YO.com is where I track it.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
2011?!

Why didnt they just add another piece to ISS?

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Last time when in Perigee it got down to 101.76 miles which was .3 of a mile lower than the time before . Things should start speeding up shortly . On its back down now so i will keep an eye on it .
edit on 31-3-2018 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
98.74 miles this time around so a drop of two miles although i believe this can vary greatly .

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
Last time when in Perigee it got down to 101.76 miles which was .3 of a mile lower than the time before . Things should start speeding up shortly . On its back down now so i will keep an eye on it .
Well apparently Wikipedia was wrong about 99 miles being the point where rapid orbit decay begins because the space station just reached a perigee of 98.74 miles at 11:04pm eastern. Now it's going back up.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622
98.74 miles this time around so a drop of two miles although i believe this can vary greatly .
This is fun.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   

If it takes out someones house, will there be compensation ?

i need a new roof anyways.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy

If it takes out someones house, will there be compensation ?

i need a new roof anyways.
Yes there will be but remember the Chinese will be replacing your house so it might have those paper walls like in the movies.
I kid, I kid.
Hope you like a pagoda style roof.
edit on 3/31/2018 by MissSmartypants because: edit

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
2011?!

So why do we share a space station with the Russians but not the Chinese? Russia is a proud nation and China is a proud nation but Russia's proud and cheap.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Way back when the first space station, Skylab crashed...

kylab reached Earth in the early morning hours of July 12, 1979, falling in pieces in the small town of Esperance, Australia, a remote spot seven-and-a-half hours away from Perth by car. Esperance resident Stan Thornton was able to snatch up a few of the pieces and fly to San Francisco to collect a $10,000 prize offered by the San Francisco Examiner to the first person to bring in a piece of the lab. President Carter issued an apology to Australia: I was concerned to learn that fragments of Skylab may have landed in Australia. I am relieved to hear your Government's preliminary assessment that no injuries have resulted. Nevertheless, I have instructed the Department of State to be in touch with your Government immediately and to offer any assistance that you may need.The town of Esperance issued a $400 fine to the United States for littering. The fine went unpaid for nearly 30 years, but in the spring of 2009, a California-based radio station took up a collection and paid down the debt.There are about 8,000 man-made objects the size of baseballs and larger orbiting earth. About seven percent are working satellites, 15 percent are rockets, and the rest is fragments and defunct satellites. Though 8,000 may seem like a lo

www.theatlantic.com...

I saw it in the sky as a kid before it finally fell.

Wondering if someone could fine China for littering.

LOL !

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

www.n2yo.com...

Right now it's over Guam

Hey, they have those wavy lines on there and a red dot on Escanaba Michigan. Why is there a red dot on Escanaba on that map?

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Red dot is your location

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

www.n2yo.com...

Right now it's over Guam

Hey, they have those wavy lines on there and a red dot on Escanaba Michigan. Why is there a red dot on Escanaba on that map?

You live around there? I just pulled the map up, and it showed the dot around Durham, which is a ways from where I live...

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
2011?!

So why do we share a space station with the Russians but not the Chinese? Russia is a proud nation and China is a proud nation but Russia's proud and cheap.

Sounds about as backwards as being gungho about labelling Russia our enemy for the same snip China does (spycraft bs), but licking China's boots.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

a reply to: rickymouse

Red dot is your location

I wish I lived in Escanaba, they have way less snow there than here.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The space station's latest perigee at 12:30am eastern was 98.29 miles. It's going back up now.
The red dot is supposed to be your location but it's way off sometimes. If you subscribe to the site you can set your geolocation accurately.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join