It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a 3-dimensional pattern to Pi?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

Complex numbers can be viewed as 2-dimensional.

Quaternions - 4d
en.wikipedia.org...

Octonion - 8d
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 1-4-2018 by Deluxe because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-4-2018 by Deluxe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Pi ... hmm, it seems random alright, but that is only because we are trying to confine it to a 10 digit numerical system out to the nth decimal place.

Maybe it would not be random on some other number system that was not based on 10.

Just my own thoughts hah .. yeah, I am joining 'the crazy' here hahaha

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

PI being irrational means it will not have a repeating pattern in any base. In another universe, no telling.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Fowlerstoad

From my earlier post

"In mathematics, a normal number is a real number whose infinite sequence of digits in every positive integer base b[1] is distributed uniformly in the sense that each of the b digit values has the same natural density 1/b, also all possible b2 pairs of digits are equally likely with density b−2, all b3 triplets of digits equally likely with density b−3, etc."

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: ziplock9000

Oh no, those "Scientists and mathematicians" have never looked for anything as complex as .. oh.. "3D"

Get some f*cking perspective.

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine!

(Were the words too big for you to understand?)

If you're interested in 3d, or even 2d really. Objects exist as a series of points along a vector, or a shape. From just a single input you're not going to get every value for the vectors starting point and magnitude, I'm still not sure how you plan to extract this data. You've got position, direction, and magnitude, in x, y, z for 3 dimensions. So that's 9 pieces of data you need from pi.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Not sure what pattern you are looking for, but the most simple representation for pi is imho the inverse tangent series of 1:

atan(1) = 1/1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + ... = pi/4

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
OP should check out the novel "Contact" by Carl Sagan.

A the very end of the book, the character of Elle finds a that if Pi is calculated out to 10^20 decimal places in a base-11 number system and displayed with a specific number of digits per row, a circle of 1s and 0s can be seen in that display. This is evidence to Elle that the universe was constructed by intelligent beings (something that was already implied to her by the aliens she met earlier).

I don't think this scene was in the movie version of the book; just the book.

edit on 2/4/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

The pattern might be 4 dimensional as well. If not more.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: MaxTamesSiva
Visualizing the Infinite Beauty Of Pi And Other Numbers

Cristian Ilies Vasile

The Beautiful Flow of Pi

dare I say the second vid resembles prions.

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Tripping down this what if road...

What if you could write out pie to where you have 10 columns and 10 rows. Behind that transparent sheet of numbers, you have the same as it continues, so forth and so on, one behind the other.

Now, lets take that 10x10 page and have a pull tab much like pulling the size of your browser window where the numbers wrap and your columns and rows change by whatever number you wish.

Would that 'box' of numbers at some point form a 3D pattern?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Like, if you take a sphere, is there a relation between its surface area and it's volume? Or something?

There used to be some really cool math/numerology type people who would always blow my mind.

I recommend use the search function, and go back...way back... back into time.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: TycoonBarnaby
Pi is an irrational number. Irrational numbers by definition have an infinite decimal expansion that does not repeat (no pattern.)

Also, a number has no dimension so your question is basically nonsense to a mathematician.

Do we really know it's an irrational number though? Maybe we just need to go a few more billion decimal points, then the pattern will become clear...

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Yes we know it's irrational. It's been proved.

en.wikipedia.org...

Unfortunately there seems to be no easy proof without using trigonometry and calculus that I can find.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join