It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher Assigns Students To Write Anti-Gun Letters To Congress

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa
I am beginning to think you misread the assignment. IMO it seems that the teacher was asking for a childs opinion how to combat the issue. First off a child should not even have to think about such a thing but the teacher only wanted to challenge the children to do some critical thinking.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden
Whoa dude calm down. If I had kids they would be home schooled first off. And second no I would not be cool with that for obvious reasons. I think my words are being taken for something other than their value,

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
I am beginning to think you misread the assignment. IMO it seems that the teacher was asking for a childs opinion how to combat the issue. First off a child should not even have to think about such a thing but the teacher only wanted to challenge the children to do some critical thinking.

I respectfully disagree. The topic was clearly stated :

The assignment “topic” was listed as “You are trying to persuade lawmakers to have stricter gun laws to help prevent another school shooting from taking place.”

That sets the topic scope to ONLY write about gun control...period. There is no room for the student to decide what THEY thought would be a possible solution.

There is no room to write the lawmakers on stopping the bullying in schools.

There is no room to write the lawmakers about approving funding to the schools to spend on hardening them to prevent someone entering with a gun.

And if the response is these kids are not mature enough to understand those positions, then why would this assignment even be considered? Except if it was meant to push a particular gun control agenda.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Whoa dude calm down. If I had kids they would be home schooled first off. And second no I would not be cool with that for obvious reasons. I think my words are being taken for something other than their value,

I'm calm.
I'm saying he should be fired.
You think it is ok.
I don't.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Alright I can understand how you see it that way. The teacher should never have given such an assignment that could sway someone’s mind in any direction at such a young age. I don’t think the teacher ever intended for this assignment to be taken the way it has. But like a child we all grow and I hope the teacher did also.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   
In all of my post I never said it was ok. Did he make a mistake-yes. Will he learn from it and be a better teacher-hopefully.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Why don't we skip the bull shlt absurd
continuence of consecutive cookie
Cutter acts of violence on targets that
will no doubt have the obvious desired
effect on public sentiment in regards to
the ultimate goal that for some odd reason
only happens this abundantly in the same
country where it's population is armed and
much of it's citizens Obama mocked as CT's
more than once over second amendment
concerns.

And just have this blood bath right now.
This slow eking march to disarm us. Is
all about something they can't pull off
with on an armed population. That
makes it something not good at all
for an unarmed population. We'll be at
the mercy of maniacs.
edit on Ram33118v35201800000018 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   
anyone want to bet. that had the teacher not been called out, these would have been sent in to Congress. and then used as "proof" that the children themselves are calling for gun control. and yet this would be far from the truth since the kids were forced to write them. i would even further bet, that this is not the only case of this or similar happening. if nothing else it is a great way to train these kids in the "proper liberal views".

we really need to stop all the politicking within schools. NO views especially political views should ever be given by teachers. they are there to teach students how to think and facts. in fact even if a student asks a teacher for their views on such things, teachers should tell them to ask their parents. it is not a teachers place at all to force their ideals and politics onto students. just as groups like PeTA, and environmental groups and the like should not be allowed to step foot in a school to speak, or hand out pamphlets or anything. schools should be forced to be completely neutral where such ideals and politics are concerned.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Im sorry...but there is no comparison to parents engaging children in discussion of current events at home and a teacher assigning political activism in school

The teacher wanted to exploit the voice of those unwitting students to further their own political agenda.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Yep. The teacher would have been better off having the kids choose to argue for one of either side of this social issue in our current events today. I am wondering how informed her students are on the gun laws they're supposed to argue for or against, tho.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Its just not a very good topic for classroom exercise. Seems to drive anxiety, and that doesnt seem conducive to learning.

With it not being in the lesson plan, this is an obvious infraction that should carry corrective action with it.

Teachers are government employees and likely should have improved ethics training during their workshops.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Its just not a very good topic for classroom exercise.

Well, this WAS a Social Studies class and I'm sure that the topic was fresh on the minds of the students, being a school safety issue and all. Allowing the kids to write about what changes they think might help seems okay to me. "From the mouths of babes"!

In 5th grade, we did debates and were given topics and told which side to argue for, such is the world of debate, you don't often get to choose what side you get to argue for, and I enjoyed it immensely! My love of debate helped me get into college! So, I don't think it's too out of line for a 7th grade teacher to challenge kids that way, but like I said, in this case, with the subject being current eventy and so volatile, the teacher should have made the assignment's choice of side more open.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Were these 7th graders equipped with the rules of logic needed in a debate class, theyd likely not be 7th graders.

Id suspect the comments by school admin referencing the teacher not following the approved lesson plan is relevant to that.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think it's time to get the PTA involved and school boards with regard to what is being taught in classrooms. If teachers are crossing the line then disciplinary action up to an including termination should be used. If parents took the time to scream loud enough or have more kids record what is being taught I think the situation could drastically improve.

I remember in my day (gosh I'm old now, haha) that I didn't know which political party any of my teachers were in, they were there to teach me stuff and to think.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Perhaps this particular teacher is unimpressed with the idea of arming teachers in school as a solution to school shootings and wanted to make a point.

I don't really agree with the stance he has taken here, but it should at least give people an insight into how some teachers may feel about taking loaded guns into the classroom.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: c2oden
When did education become indoctrination?

It's always been indoctrination, you are only realising this now... Like really?

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
what would be more concerning is if the teacher planned on mailing these letters out to the lawmakers..
this assignment would have been okay if he had given the students a choice as to what position they wished to take. as it is, it is teaching the kids a bad lesson. glad the teacher was busted on it.

posted on Mar, 31 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Thats inappropriate. Seems like some have valid reasons to distrust this agenda. Its all a little too underhanded to give it a pass.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
7th Graders only have to write 5 compleat sentences when doing their writing assignment? That's seems way to easy.

And adults can't even complete one

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

So one, single teacher now encompasses the liberal mindset?

I see.

Hyperbole and over reaction must encompass all conservative mindsets then?

Defending the left has become a full time job for you Chad.

Sad to see....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join