It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Installs Dos Application??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Any idea what this is?
xslt.alexa.com...
which is listed as a MS-DOS Application
in my temporary internet files. C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
Is this something we should know about, or a problem with my computer? You guys take a look into your directories and see if you have the same thing...
C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Alexa is a traffic ranking service. (Look in the banner area on the far right). It's probably a cookie that helps them track traffic on ATS. "O I see this person has been here before so I won't count them again." The fact that it's in Temporary Internet Files shows that it's just something that your browser is caching.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Everything I have read on alexa is bad... A cookie and a dos application are two different things aren't they? I'm fighting spyware on my computer, it's a loosing battle though and this raises some concerns for me.
www.google.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Twitchy,

Three easy steps to solving your spyware/adware problems:

1. Download and install Firefox.
2. Relax and have a beer.
3. Really.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
HURRAH FOR MOZILLA!!!!!!!!!

For the n008z like me use firefox however i give my props to the people who use mozilla. They are the people who make this shizt work!

Odd

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I tried Firefox, and it did indeed resolve my spyware problem... however, it also resolved my 'being able to view Flash animations' problem, of which I was rather fond.

Have they patched it yet?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad0825
For the n008z like me use firefox however i give my props to the people who use mozilla. They are the people who make this shizt work!

Hope and pray that number remains minimal, or else Firefox will have more holes in it than IE....

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
they have patched it and 1.0 is better than ever. Everyone should try it again. Also if you know prming please try mozilla! people like you make it work!

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Odd
I tried Firefox, and it did indeed resolve my spyware problem... however, it also resolved my 'being able to view Flash animations' problem, of which I was rather fond.

That's all fixed now. First page you load up with flash content on it you will be prompted to install the flash plugin, which is done from within your browser. Voila! Same for all other plugins like shockwave, quicktime, etc. Alternatively you can visit the plugins section of the site and install them all manually.

You can also choose from a bucket-load of various extensions and groovy little functions to install too, making your browsing experience better and more tailored to your personal prefs. Hmmm...maybe I should start writing ads for Firefox, lol.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Is this in anyway harmful to win xp prof. sp2. if not I dont mind participating in this feed back , and hit counter set up, I just dont like spyware but if the program in question is only for blogs ranking then I will let it past my firewall.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
It is definately spyware, and ATS apparently sets up some sort of DOS application. I am no computer genius, but I do know that I was kinda shocked and a little dissapointed to find out that ATS uses it. I hate spyware, but I love ATS. Can I block alexa from tracking my info and still use the site here?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Win SP2 sucks anyways. Spyware is spyware but everyone uses it. Get over it. It's the sign of the times.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy
It is definately spyware, and ATS apparently sets up some sort of DOS application. I am no computer genius, but I do know that I was kinda shocked and a little dissapointed to find out that ATS uses it. I hate spyware, but I love ATS. Can I block alexa from tracking my info and still use the site here?

My fire wall and spyware program has blocked it , its just a matter of functionability requirement that you choose a program of your specific needs I personally have a computer powerful enough to have 2 firewalls and 3 anti spy/adware blockers running at the same time. I find however I cant use this same setup on my secondary computer as it is windows me and has smaller processing capabilities, so alexa did get into it.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Twitchy,

Three easy steps to solving your spyware/adware problems:

1. Download and install Firefox.
2. Relax and have a beer.
3. Really.

I love this firefox browser but I have broken it up so that my system has 2 funtional browsers because others in my household dont like some of the features, but when I run IE and then change to Firefox I find IE runs a bit slower and with more script errors on my cable internet application. IE also has more problems with speed on dsl where firefox it faster and more reliable , there are less lock ups in fire fox and file transfers are cleaner and faster, I am operating at the max potiential of the Cable modem now where with IE i was running at 93% of max.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
wecomeinpeace - thanx for that info about firefox. I've downloaded and will give it a go.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by CAConrad0825
Win SP2 sucks anyways. Spyware is spyware but everyone uses it. Get over it. It's the sign of the times.

I have found the security and funtionability in the office application of windows xp sp2 to be better than windows home xp sp2 , The software has more security and is faster and more functional with applications such as media and multi connection networking , True windows xp home is useless and I wouldnt have it either but the full version Professional office is excellent given the choices availible.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Alexa aparently slightly altered their schema for tracking site useage (it's a site popularity ranking service).

It's nothing to be concerned about. That's a simple non-identifying tracking cookie. MS-DOS is not a denial of service app, but a "Microsoft Disk Operating System" application. It looks like your software's listing for Alexa is incorrect.

I've removed the Alexa image from most pages because of this.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Hurrah for responsible Anti Spyware! Stopping it from the source! Thanks ATS btw how do you guys get ur jobs? be cool thing for people to get to do
maybe publish opinion articles and stuff on the site?

join