It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California's Legislature Could Care Less About Public Safety, It's About Retaining Politcal Power

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   
California has been getting a lot of unfavorable news lately. The Govenor, as well as many state politicians are responsible for this IMO. Their policies concerning illegal immigration, have cost the state of California over $30 billion dollars a year.

Illegal immigrants and their children cost the State of California roughly $30.29 billion per year in net costs. This works out to $7,352 per illegal alien, or ~17.7 percent of California’s state budget.

nationaleconomicseditorial.com...

California has the highest number of illegal immigrants in the country, which is bankrupting the state and posing enormous burdens on the state’s shrinking middle-class. So, why do state politicians allow this? I think it's because California benefits from ‘cheap’ illegal-alien labor and it helps state politicians to remain in power, because of fraudulent voting by noncitizens, who are also......

counted when apportioning congressional districts and when allocating state electors under the Electoral College. This means noncitizens play a role in determining how many congressional representatives a state has and exert an indirect influence on presidential elections.

Mass immigration has had a significant effect on American electoral politics. Despite the fact that it is a crime for aliens to vote in federal elections, noncitizens and illegal aliens are counted when apportioning congressional districts. 1 This means that areas with large numbers of illegal alien residents gain additional representatives in Congress.

In addition, there is evidence that both foreign nationals who are lawfully present in the United States and illegal aliens have voted in recent elections.

fairus.org...

This past January, there was much concern over California automatically registering adults who obtained or renewed a driver’s license to vote. People were worried that California didn't have a process in place to verify legal voters and for keeping ineligible people off the registration rolls. These concerns are valid IMO, because Gov. Jerry Brown signed a bill, AB 60 in 2013, making California the 10th state to allow driver licenses for people in the country illegally. The mere fact that illegals can obtain driver licenses is idiotic, because safeguards DON'T always work to prevent fraudulent voting from occurring.

The intentions behind the Real ID Act also continue to be thwarted by certain provisions of the NVRA. These provisions, known as the “Motor-Voter Law,” require state departments of motor vehicles to act as voter registration proxies. The information supplied by license applicants doubles as voter registration information and the registration process has become nearly automatic. Because so many states continue to issue driver’s licenses to noncitizens, it is relatively easy for aliens to commit voter fraud through the Motor-Voter system. When renewing a driver’s license by mail, they simply check the boxes indicating that they wish to be registered as voters and affirming that they are a U.S. citizen. Most often, they are added to the voter rolls without any attempt to verify the applicant’s citizenship.

fairus.org...

Besides a failing public school system and a burdened healthcare system, some major cities in California are becoming like third world cities, because of rampant homelessness and increased crime.

On September 22, 2015, Los Angeles officials declared a state of emergency over homelessness:

High rent? Nope. Problem is due to an influx of illegal immigrants and the "hit" on middle class families.

Do you blame middle class families leaving California in big numbers?

Then there's the issue concerning California being a "sanctuary city" and protecting illegal criminals from being deported by ICE. Some counties have become fed up with the policies forced upon them by Gov. Jerry Brown and his minions, like State Attorney General Xavier Becerra. They rightfully believe, that Senate Bill 54, which "prohibits state and local police agencies from notifying federal officials in many cases when immigrants in their custody who may potentially be subject to deportation are about to be released" is unconstitutional.

March 27, 2018:

The Orange County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to move against the state's "sanctuary" laws, adding a powerful voice to a growing backlash in some conservative parts of California to the state's pro-immigrant policies.

Foes of illegal immigration hailed the board's vote. "It's about time we had more bodies like this one standing up to lawlessness of the California state Legislature," said Arthur Christopher Schaper of Torrance, an outspoken conservative activist. "Steps like this will ensure that American lives will matter once again."

www.latimes.com...

To make matters worse, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra, has threatened to arrest Orange County Sheriff for holding illegal "criminals" for ICE officers.

My question would be, whatever happened to the Supremacy Clause? Anyone?

Legal Definition of Supremacy Clause:

a clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution that declares the constitution, laws, and treaties of the federal government to be the supreme law of the land to which judges in every state are bound regardless of state law to the contrary

www.merriam-webster.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Very interesting report, but..........it is California.

That's my way of propounding this particular idea. California has set itself up to be an illegal immigrant sanctuary center. They accommodate the illegals in every manner possible. Which means..........they've turned California into a powerful magnet for illegal immigrants. They go there, they stay there, they're fed and clothed and educated and medicated there.

Which is to say............they're NOT HERE! (i.e., where I am).

Therefore, I congratulate the California politicians for helping to keep me and my family a bit safer.

As for the California middle class? All 1,200 of them left in California? Well, there's always Canada!

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I think that the most humorous part of the pro illegal argument is that the liberals willingly exploit the illegals for sub standard wages. "What American would even do those jobs at that wage?".

Never fails to make me smile. They seem so robber Baron/capitalistic when they talk like that.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
As the disease and drugs drive people out of the cities and suburbs and more tech moves out, the state will be much more dependant than it already is on agriculture. Which is all red and keeps pushing to create a new state disconnected from the coast. Now we have Orange county pushing back and Contra Costa county started releasing inmate release dates for ICE... dangerous time for the Democrats to fight against Trump while supporting their people.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   
California, one of those #hole countries papa trump has told us stories about.

You couldn't pay me to live in that massive outdoor insane asylum.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Please read the "Rules For Radicals" by Saul Alinsky. To maintain power make people dependent on the state. Everything in this book is exactly what is being done in California by their state government.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   

This is what the voters in California wanted.

They should own it.
edit on 30-3-2018 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: buddah6
Please read the "Rules For Radicals" by Saul Alinsky. To maintain power make people dependent on the state. Everything in this book is exactly what is being done in California by their state government.

And governor Jerry Brown is a Jesuit! So is the newly appointed Scotus, keep and eye on him. Don't say I didn't warn ya! I hope I am wrong, but considering people still have faith in a government that has gone full blown banana republic, I won't hold my breath.....

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

I think that the most humorous part of the pro illegal argument is that the liberals willingly exploit the illegals for sub standard wages. "What American would even do those jobs at that wage?".

Never fails to make me smile. They seem so robber Baron/capitalistic when they talk like that.

CA is a wreck in so many ways...truly a dystopia of haves and have-nots pushed to the extreme.

And when both camps get tired of it, where do you think they diffuse to?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Every State has most of the same problems. Perhaps California has a bigger issues, they do have almost forty million people living there. My State has about three and a half million. We have homeless. We have immigrants. Our middle class is burdened with the share of paying the bills.

California bad. Mississippi good. California bad. Alabama good. California bad. South Carolina good. We get it.

And I'm ABSOLUTELY certain there are endless beautiful, safe places to live and enjoy in the State. JUST LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE USA.

Like I said, you guys need boogie men. California, Hillary, Obama, Pelosi, Schumer, Immigrants, and my new favorite, the man of the hour, Mr. Hogg. LOL!!!! That one actually makes me laugh. That boggie man is only seventeen. LOL!!

Be afraid. And make sure to look under your bed.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

California is an enigma - it has the richest and the poorest living side by side in mansions and footpaths. The richest want everyone else to deal with the poorest and when the answer is 'no', the richest cry racist bigot from their well guarded ivory towers. Hypocrisy is rampant in the circles of the richest, where they refuse to house illegal immigrants but cry racist bigot to anyone who refuses to house illegal immigrants.

In California, Trump is to blame for everything bad that has ever happened since recorded history and just like 2000 years ago, Obama was indeed Jesus returned and again the heathens rejected him.

this is California.......

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   
While I do agree with the premise (its just what politicians do), this is California we are talking about.

Ideally, a politicians actions represent their constituency and I think what is happening in CA does indeed represent a sizeable percentage (perhaps majority) of the constituents. Regardless of how I personally feel about any of it, its not my state, and ideally (again..) I think a massive diversity between states better enables all walks of life to find their place in the US.

That said, its extremely interesting that it can be shockingly easy to tell which folks live in California, including on ATS. I can't thinkbof any other state that that applies.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

CA is the juxtaposition of the American Dream and American Misery in the same percolator. It's no secret I live right next door, and often travel there for work. Also grew up visiting quite frequently.

CA got so bloated it started blorking out into the neighbor states. Idaho, Nevada, Arizona etc. Everyone is sick of the crap they bring.

And hey, don't even get me started on their driving!

edit on 30-3-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Thanks for such an interesting although tragic, well written thread.
I've never been there so the reports in your OP have kind of killed my images of a Beach Boys video.
Plenty of homeless folk in my parts but not on such a scale, and with the temperatures there any homeless Brit over the last month or so would rather be in a tent over there. Immigration has nothing to do with the homeless issue here though, it's frequently mental health and addiction.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite

Every State has most of the same problems. Perhaps California has a bigger issues, they do have almost forty million people living there. My State has about three and a half million. We have homeless. We have immigrants. Our middle class is burdened with the share of paying the bills.

California bad. Mississippi good. California bad. Alabama good. California bad. South Carolina good. We get it.

And I'm ABSOLUTELY certain there are endless beautiful, safe places to live and enjoy in the State. JUST LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE IN THE USA.

Like I said, you guys need boogie men. California, Hillary, Obama, Pelosi, Schumer, Immigrants, and my new favorite, the man of the hour, Mr. Hogg. LOL!!!! That one actually makes me laugh. That boggie man is only seventeen. LOL!!

Be afraid. And make sure to look under your bed.

I think you are correct. The issues in California are much more complex than simply blaming illegal immigrants and it appears themes such as the one provided in this thread appeal to those that wish to be ignorant and intellectually lazy.

For example, two of the largest issues that California has to pay for is education, which California is required to provide by a Supreme Court ruling, to all children regardless of immigration status, and California's massive legal/penal system. But instead of making reasonable efforts to reform those systems to make them much more fiscally sound, it is much easier to blame immigrants.

There have also been studies done that show the best way to increase tax revenue to pay for what is required would be to grant the illegal immigrants citizenship.

Or we could deport them and cause an even bigger hole to dig ourselves out of.

itep.org...

In the end, this issue serves it's designed purpose, as is demonstrated in this thread. It is designed to be a political matter that people can bash each other over the head with and politicians can use as a campaign issue. That goes for both sides.

Neither are interested in solutions or in being fiscally responsible. They are interested in getting morons worked-up so that they show up on election day to vote for the side which sells the ignorance they like best.

edit on 30-3-2018 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I am here right now, for the first time, visiting in-laws.

I was a bit skeptical, but they're there. TENT CITYS.

It is so surreal. I drive alot for work, back in San Antonio, TX, we don't have that, ANYWHERE. Maybe Austin, but I haven't been there since last year.

Everywhere my in-laws introduce me to, food, clothing, whatever, some random homeless walks up and always ask for change, like damned flies!!

Wow.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInsite

It's not about finding a "boogie man." It's about a corrupt state government preventing illegal "criminals" from being deported by ICE officials and having the audacity to threaten a sheriff's arrest. You can spin it anyway you want. This thread isn't about other states, it's about California and what a sh!thole it has become, because of...wait for it...DEMOCRATS and LIBERAL VALUES

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Cali does not have enough housing nor water for the existing population.

allowing more people in, especially unskilled poor, is self-defeating and irrational.

one of their largest sources of income is in agriculture. as the populace continues to increase (and the amount of fresh water does not increase) there will be pressure to restrict water for agriculture, which will hurt the Cali economy, and deprive much of the US of fresh fruits and vegetables.
so these are not just local issues.
plus, allowing illegals to vote may alter congress, which also affects the rest of the country.

it's amusing to sit back and say 'oh that's just California' but the consequences here are literally national.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   

How is California being bankrupted? It's the 6th largest economy in the world.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

The CA homeless problem is utterly bizarre to me. The sheer volume of homeless in LA County is staggering. In 2017 it jumped 23% to 57,000. www.latimes.com...

And yet, here in Texas where I live, we hardly ever go anywhere there isn't "help wanted" signs plastered on the doors of establishments from Movie Theatres to Gas Station Convenience stores, etc. Really hard to wrap my mind around the problem.

And what's really weird is that the news articles seem to imply the more California counties do to address the problem, the worse it gets! So, now they're sucking homeless in from outa state?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join