It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to get out the hoe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I always look forward to this time of year.
I have a medium size garden plot [ 50 X 30 ] at the far end of the yard and every year, I plan what I want to grow. Tomatoes are a given. I plant regular size and cherry tomatoes every year.

I put in Peach trees, strawberries and raspberries years ago and other than a little fertilizer and pruning, they pretty much take care of themselves, so all I have to do is take care of the garden.
I've never used pesticides and yeah, I lose a few peaches or tomatoes and such to bugs, but I'm not spraying poison on my food either, so it's worth the loss.
I really do enjoy harvest time and my breakfast [ or lunch ] when everything is in season is a handful each of cherry tomatoes, raspberries and strawberries and a peach fresh off the tree. I just grab the colander, fill it up, rinse everything off with the hose, sit on the back porch and enjoy.
I'm outside most of the time in warm weather and constantly picking and munching on something out of the garden. Want something crunchy? Pull a carrot. On a hot Summer day, there's just nothin' like grabbin a knife and slicin' up a watermelon you grew yourself and had cooling in the fridge. Screw the plates... grab a hunk, sit outside, get it ear to ear and have a seed spittin' contest like when you were a kid.
Potatoes are are easily available and just not worth the effort and where I live, corn on the cob is everywhere. Local market, road side stands, hell, I can walk a quarter mile down the road and pick my own.
Years ago I bought Heirloom seeds and I've saved seed from just about everything else, so I have a pretty good variety as far as selection goes.
This year, along with the usual suspects, I think I'll plant some :
Jalapeno, Poblano and Habanero peppers You can make a nice dip/sauce with the Poblanos and the others I use in chili, scrambled eggs, etc, etc..
Carrots
Sugar Baby watermelon
Ambrosia muskmelon [ a hybrid that's sweeter and juicier than others ]
cauliflower [ love that steamed with Pepper Jack cheese melted over the top ]
Spinach
Green Beans [ might just save some space and plant those along the fence ]
Zucchini [ love it fried ]

Over the years, my garden has given me much more than just fresh vegetables. Teaching my kids self reliance, digging holes, playing in the dirt and then see the results of their labors when it was ready to pick. When my kids were little and I had all the green tomatoes I wanted and it was too late in the year for the rest to ripen, we played tomato baseball with the green ones. Messy but oh my God it was so much fun.

What are you planting this year?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Oh, that hoe.

I started working on my garden yseterday. Not sure what I'm going to do until July since i wont have a kitchen until then.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Ha ha, a footpath over to your place......

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Oh, that hoe.

I started working on my garden yseterday. Not sure what I'm going to do until July since i wont have a kitchen until then.

Yeah, I was disappointed too.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Got rid of that one 3 years ago.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I am so excited this year as I have moved into a new place with a huge yard and a very good garden spot that I should be working on this weekend but, rain and too chilly for me. I haven't had a garden in a few years. Next weekend is a no go also as we have a remodel going but, the next weekend for sure! The tiller's got a flat so I suppose I need to get on that as well.
When I first adopted my nephews (there were 5 kids total here!) we had a blast with our gardens and over planted and gave away nearly as much as we consumed! It was a great experience for them and my kiddos that are still at home reminisce and are looking forward to gardening again this year.
I'm thinking the usual suspects, tomatoes (tommy toes and big beefy sandwich), cucumbers, squash (zucchini and yellow), I want to do some runner beans on the back of the house to shade my daughters' bedrooms, peppers, strawberries, bush beans, some onions and marigolds.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Onions!! Oh Good Lord how could I have forgot those!?
...mmmm fried bologna sandwich with green onions.....

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
At least I'm not the only one who came in here with a dirty mind ...

Not much to hoe in my yard, even less when the foundation crew gets done trenching around three sides of the house.

I do need to figure out when I ought to move the potted roses out though. I also need to figure out when to get the water lily moved up and the patio pond started with anacharis, wisteria, jungle val to go with the water lily. Then we'll need to get our kitchen herbs and get them going.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I have several different types/colors of roses planted along the front of the house and due to a Japanese beetles infestation in 2016, I used a fertilizer that had a bug repellant in it. Not an insecticide to kill them, just supposed to repel them, but it's played hell with the plants. Slow growth, smaller flowers, not as fragrant......
I put a lot of work into those.
Pisses me off.

ETA I have Bonsai trees and they can be as picky as roses, so I don't move them outside till the temps stay above 45, even at night.
edit on 30-3-2018 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Here's some of our stuff
Pitiful corn LOL and abundant squash

I tried some container gardening last year on the back deck and had little success. The squirrels and cut worms found me out!
I have some chicken wire that I will build a fence with to keep out (hopefully) the rabbits but I'm also going to try some natural approaches like the marigolds and perhaps geranium.
You've got me excited about it again, maybe tomorrow will be nicer weather and hopefully the rain will make the creation process a little easier (rocks, grass etc).

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I still have a foot of packed snow, and three foot drifts against the fence 😕

I do have the gardening bug though...I successfully started a couple of bell pepper plants a couple of months ago, they're in my south facing windows.....seeds started the other day for various herbs.

Last year I didn't get any ripe tomatoes, so I canned green tomato chutney, green tomato mincemeat, green tomato salsa....

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

My Dad was the best at green tomato 'relish', I guess it's similar to chutney?
Green tomatoes generally get battered and fried around here, likely a reason why Tennessee ranks high in overweightedness but, they are darned good.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

I tried some fried ones too, in flour, cornmeal, and brown sugar.
That's probably not a very proper fried tomato recipe, but it was good.

I'm trying to start tomato seeds, but I think I have a bad packet. I should just plant a tomato slice into the dirt 🤔

The growing season up here is way too short. I think I'm going to build a cheap greenhouse this summer...

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
We only have 1/4 acre of asparagus and decorative gourds. We grow for the fancy new American cuisine yuppy places in town. Almost no maintenance. But the early morning daily harvest takes some time, ice it down, take it to town for delivery but well worth the investment. It's my GF project but she allows me to help.

We are surrounded by vinyards and there is a community garden in our small village that provides so much produce that we take it to the city food bank for the elderly and homeless. "The garden" is a great meeting place for the community to visit, have a glass of wine, gossip and work a little bit, then sit on the tail gate of the pickup and enjoy the spectacular sunsets.

It's easy livin in the Land of Enchantment.
edit on 30-3-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

I've thought about a greenhouse also!
I carry off so many old windows from job sites and could just kick myself now thinking of how cool a greenhouse from those could be.

P.S. Green tomatoes should be enjoyed however one likes

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I thought that was what this thread was about.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Way too much snow here to even think of letting the hoe out.
Prob 2-3 feet left of the white stuff.
but eagerly awaiting

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

No okra or kale?

Just kidding. Sounds like a really nice plot. Makes me jealous that I don't have a yard...just a 6'x3 balcony that is always in the shade due to a giant oak tree outside.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I've never used pesticides and yeah, I lose a few peaches or tomatoes and such to bugs, but I'm not spraying poison on my food either, so it's worth the loss.

I Garden as well.
& Try to keep it as Organic as possible.
Its tough putting in hard work only to be lost to pests.
2 Organic alternatives I use are Pyrethrin & Neem oil.
Both plant derivatives.
When diluted with water and sprayed they are effective in pest control.
I also use a Organic Biofungicide to beat back mold.

I Grow,
Peppers- Bell(RED, Orange, & Yellow)-Mexi Bells -Poblano -Jalapeno -Jamaican Scotch Bonnet -Habanero -Banana -Italian Sweet.
Tomatoes -Roma -San Marzano -Yellow Boy -Mr. Stripey -Cherry
Root -Carrots -Radish -Bulls Blood beets -Onions
Leafy- Lacinato Kale, Russian Red leaf -Bok Choi -Swiss Chard
Cucumbers -straight 8 -Pickle -Japanese
Squash -Butternut -Spaghetti -blue hubard -acorn
Ground Cherries
1 Turkey Fig
and a couple Goji bush's

Herbs -Basil & Thyme(3 different variety's of each) -Rosemary -Chives -Mint(3or4 different variety's) -Italian Parsley -Lavender and maybe a few others I have left out.

all done square foot raised beds or pots and vertically as well.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Its date night!... Oh that one...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join