It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope washes prisoners' feet in Holy Week ritual

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Though this might interest some as it shows something that is honest and humble and Good.

Rome (AFP) - Pope Francis washed prisoners' feet at a Rome jail on Thursday, including two Muslims, an Orthodox Christian and a Buddhist, once again choosing to celebrate Holy Thursday among Italy's incarcerated. "Everyone always has the opportunity to change life and one cannot judge," said Francis to the prisoners of the city's all-male Regina Coeli prison. It is the fourth time in the pope's five year papacy that he has celebrated the Holy Mass in an Italian jail. "For me, visiting the sick, going into prison, making the prisoner feel that he can have hope of rehabilitation, that is the preaching of the Church," said Francis in a recent book of interviews. This year, the twelve inmates washed by Francis hailed from Italy, the Philippines, Morocco, Colombia, Moldova, Sierra Leone and Nigeria. The rite, performed yearly on Maundy or Holy Thursday, commemorates Jesus Christ's Last Supper with the apostles.

Since his election in 2013, the pope has moved the feet washing ceremony outside the walls of the Vatican and into centres for vulnerable people or those on society's margins. In his first year he visited a youth detention centre where he performed the ritual on a group of young inmates including two Muslims -- the first Catholic leader ever to do so. In 2014 he washed the feet of elderly and disabled people, in 2015 he did so in a prison, and in 2016 he chose a migrant reception centre. Last year the pope went to Paliano jail outside Rome where he washed the feet of former mafiosi in a prison known for housing inmates who have informed on old mobster allies.

www.yahoo.com...

Peace yall..

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I respect him for trying to set & uphold the standard...

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Prisoners are humans too. God created all humans. Pope serves God.

Where did they get such nice clothes? Suede shoes...leather jackets... Are these REALLY prisoners?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Of course he would - Religion is big business

How else to keep the illusion up?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Looking at the photo it appears as if he only washes one foot per person. How strange.

ETA I also wonder if he gets fresh water and a new bar of soap for each foot, in between washing his hands. Giving someone a verruca is not nice.
edit on 29/3/18 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

Gross.

What religion is this?

I want no part of that.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Foot fetishism.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
He is following his faith & the example he was given to love & forgive …

For those incarcerated or for your loved ones incarcerated:

More Than You Think I Am

Start Over

Mended

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

Beautiful music... I am forwarding some to a few souls dear to my heart. Thank you for posting.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

Catholic.

This tradition started with Jesus Christ himself. Jesus washed the feet of his disciples as one of the last things before he died. This is why it is significant that this is practiced on Holy Thursday before Good Friday (crucifixion of Christ).

"You should wash one another's feet," He told them. "I have set an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." (John 13:1-17)

It's about being humble and willing to serve others.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: skywatcher44

There's a problem with this, anyone can kiss up. Fakery is everywhere. The richest man on earth tells us to give up our riches while his kingdom is filled with gold, washes a few guys' feet and we're supposed to bow down and kiss his? Not happening.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

Respect is earned. Has he earned yours?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack
Did you misread my post?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Ophiuchus 13

It's doubtful. Maybe.

Uphold who's standard?
edit on 30-3-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Uphold the Standard set by the GOD, Son and HOLY Ghost that are believed in? In which mankind is to treat his fellow brethren no matter race/religion or ethnic background with respect as if brothers/family...
edit on 3/30/18 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Seems that standard would build a better world(s) and not following said standard would build selfish based worlds.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Uphold the Standard set by the GOD, Son and HOLY Ghost that are believed in? In which mankind is to treat his fellow brethren no matter race/religion or ethnic background with respect as if brothers/family...

Not when everything is divided and one power rules over the many it's not.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Which type of world civilization would you want to be part of? One with or without such standards BotheLumberJack?
Simple question
edit on 3/30/18 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Seems that standard would build a better world(s) and not following said standard would build selfish based worlds.

History reveals only one Standard. The ones running the # planet.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   

You didn't answer my question?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join