It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus wept

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
“Jesus wept”- John ch11 v35

He was not troubled because he was mourning the loss of Lazarus.
He was troubled because Mary and Martha and their friends were mourning the loss of Lazarus.

He was troubled because people who were very closed to him, did not have the faith in him to ressurect Lazarus.

It shows how easily people can loose their faith.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: EasternShadow
We don't know that anyone there was close to him, apart from Mary and Martha themselves.
He had not said what he was going to do, so he would not have been looking for faith (but he did get faith from Martha, to the extent of what he told her).

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: mekhanics
a reply to: DISRAELI

It was according to JOHN.

Did Jesus really wept?

I want to know what Jesus said. Not from a third person.

fk john.

Only John wrote Lazarus death.

Probably, the other disciples were too afraid. There were crowd of Jews who came at Martha's house and wanted to stone Jesus.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   

We don't know that anyone there was close to him, apart from Mary and Martha themselves.
He had not said what he was going to do, so he would not have been looking for faith (but he did get faith from Martha, to the extent of what he told her).

Jesus did told Martha earlier, that his brother will not die of sickness.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I take it you are referring to "This illness is not unto death; it is for the glory of God" (ch11 v4).
This was his reaction to a message sent by the sisters from a distance. But it was spoken to those around him, so the sisters would not have heard it. The reaction of the disciples is not recorded.

When he arrives in Bethany, Martha says "I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you" (v22). You can't ask for more faith than that.
As for the friends of the sisters, they had not been told anything except that Lazarus was dead.
The absence of faith is not a issue in this episode.
The problem is that these people have been given cause to mourn.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   

But it was spoken to those around him, so the sisters would not have heard it. The reaction of the disciples is not recorded.

It didn't stated to whom Jesus replied. The only information we have is this:

John 11:3-4

3 So the sisters sent word to Jesus, “Lord, the one you love is sick.”

4 When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.”

I have tried to compare with Mark, Matthew and Luke's account, but zero information on Lazarus Death. I have search Thomas gospel as well, but nothing about Lazarus death. So based on this little information, in my point of view, Jesus did reply to the sisters with said information.

But your suggestion that the sisters may not received Jesus's reply is plausible as well. Therefore, I'm fine with it.

Thanks.

edit on 30-3-2018 by EasternShadow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join