It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why No Manned Missions to Mars Yet???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Could somebody please explain why has there not been any manned missions to mars yet?
We know that man could go to mars and that it would probably be more inhabital than the moon is. It doesnt take that long to get there, and the US landed men on the moon not too long after it was first planned so technically we could have landed there years ago.

What is stopping us???

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Sadly, the desire (reads: funding) to do so. That's it.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Yup utrex is bang on. I think we'll see a moon base before a manned mission. Sort of a stepping stone approach that could build on itself gradually until the growth become exponential after so many years. Best way for colonization imo.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Well, you also have to think of the fact that we haven't had much in the way of anything going on since Columbia burned up on reentry. Not a lot of people in the US had a lot of kind sentiments towards our space program since, which is really quite sad.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Iraq, afghanistan, oil import , war on terrorism, wrong spending, ackwardness, not knowing what great potentials are laying outthere..
that are several reasons for not having a man back at the moon and on mars.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Yeah but the business sentiment(which is on the fence right now in terms of venture funding)could change all that. SpaceShipOne made everyone take notice, Virgin Galactic could prove to be the first profitable space tourism company. But like in any new business sector more and more people will want a piece of the pie once its been proven a viable market, more corps get in including the heavies and that will lead to more competition and more innovation and trust me it will percolate down to the public. It has sort of started already as there have been people who have asked me about Spaceflight whom I wouldn't even expect it from, alot of people now see it as a viable option in the near term, it just needs alot of testing and proving to silence the naysayers. IMO THE Big money will be in Mining.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Also, there are a number of technical issues that would have to be addressed. A manned mission to mars would expose humans to much longer periods in deep space that has been done so far. In addition, you would have to develop a lander capable of launching itself back into space.

Finally, what would be the mission objectives? To collect rock samples for analyis? Hell rover and opportunity have proven that you don’t need to bring the samples back here. To prove that we can do it? So what, I’m sure that we could do it if we wanted to.

A more efficient way to go would be to continue to develop unmanned robotic probes, allowing the technology to evolve into probes capable of doing what we want to do.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
HowardRoark,

Yes, we can't do it now, but how many skyscrapers do you think we could have constructed with the hundreds of billions of dollars spent in Iraq? It's a matter of desire, not ability.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Funding a mars mission is a lot like us going out and buying a wide screen Plasma TV with theater sound system. it is something that we don't REALLY need, but we would like so we can see a supermodels pores while watching it.

Governemtns would rather support the business that helped them get into office then education

There allready several ideas and plans on how to do the mission. ,most of it depends on how much fudning you get, and how long the astonauts are going ot be in space, and on mars

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Check out the below link for info. and a video showing how we have already been to Mars!

www.alienshift.com...

The video is about one page down from the top.

Let me know what you all think ............

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Sorry but this link is better!

www.alienshift.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
my answer will be the cost and because space exploration is a political tool (well at least in america)...

hope this helps...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Well there is a number of technical reasons but I think even more important is that cost of such a trip. I have heard estimates ranging from $30 billion to $450 billion and thats not to make bases or anything there. Thats alot of money to just plant a flag and collect some rocks.

they see ALL whats up with the "space exploration is a political tool (well at least in america)" Comment?

If its a '' political tool '' then its one for every country that goes into space and not just America. NASA is a political tool but ESA or Russia programs are not

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
i have no idea about other contries...

in america when bush says: "we will get to the moon" this is ONLY used to get votes...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Money has never been a problem in the past, the "ELITE" do as they will.

The truth is very simple, although most do not accept it.

They never went to the moon, they will never go to mars, it is all a deception.

The fact that most common people now have access to computers and programs that would clearly reveal the deception they can no longer perpetrate.

They will not dare try another moon or mars landing for they know it would be scrutinzed to the max, there are too many people that believe the moon landing was a hoax and the "ELITE" know they can no longer keep the deception going.

It is not a matter of money, for they do whatever they want, no matter what the cost. They have never hesitated to spend money in the past and would not today.

Their fear is that of their deception being exposed.

I doubt you will ever again see them send men into space, they are going to start WW3 first.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Funding a mars mission is a lot like us going out and buying a wide screen Plasma TV with theater sound system. it is something that we don't REALLY need, but we would like so we can see a supermodels pores while watching it.

Mmm...

Here's why:

It's
Bloody
Hard

If we could've, we would've.

Money, reason, danger, training, technology, supplies, current economic climate, windows of opportunity, return trip, public interest.

And more.

and, lastday, no. just no.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
i have no idea about other contries...

in america when bush says: "we will get to the moon" this is ONLY used to get votes...

Well I can see that as politics but NASA was hardly created to get votes for Bush. NASA does alot of work that was no real political worth. Sure doing something first can be very important to politics as it is a showcase for your countries tech like getting the first man in space the or first landing on the moon. But NASA does alot of stuff that never gets much attention.

That stuff really hit its height during the cold war with the US and Russia. It has really died down since then and we have things like the ISS now.

If NASA is used in this way sometimes I can assure you Russia's,Europe's,China's space agencies all do the same thing.

Lastday Prophet- The moon landing hoax has been debunked to death, I suggest using the search function as I dont want to turn this thread into that same old bunk again.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

Mmm...

Here's why:

It's
Bloody
Hard

Great point since between Russia and the US I dont think half of what we have sent to Mars has made it there in one piece. Though Russia has a much worst track record then the US.

Even sending probes to mars is far from a sure thing for the best in the Game the US and Russia

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
yes good point...

i LOVED the mars rover missions (oppotunity and spirit rovers)...

but the sad thing is, space IS used as a political tool (as much as i hate saying it it is true)...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Lastday Prophet- The moon landing hoax has been debunked to death, I suggest using the search function as I dont want to turn this thread into that same old bunk again.

It is already the same old bunk, whether the moon or mars, it is all a deception, the proof being they have not tried it again and have no plans to. The last shuttle explosion was done by them to give them an excuse to put the deception on hold. They have no current plans to send any more shuttles up any time soon. The hoax is over!

This is my last post on this, I will laugh when all the blind people find out how foolish they were to believe such an "LIE". The truth will come out soon.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by Lastday Prophet]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join