It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump is wrong to criticize Amazon

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

We are discussing just third party vendors here, which was a very small part of what trump said.

yes I agree, all federal taxes should be applied equally. The courst have already decided to look at the case, so why the bluster from trump?

Why hasnt trump called out other businesses that benefit from this?

Why did he mention the part about putting retailers out of business? As we see on this thread, this type of argument is used to justify punitive punishments on a business just for being successful.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
Guess I did misunderstand you.

PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) is where you ante up money ahead of time to get a property tax reduction for a set period that frequently includes the time when the property is uninhabitable due to renovation on construction. Without this tax concession that the small business owner negotiated the project never would have commenced.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I would say those companies are equally as monopolistic as well, that's just my opinion on the matter though.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

The prefix mono- means one. So it is actually impossible for multiple companies to have a monopoly on the same market.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I agree with Trump. .

so trump is lying about # and you agree with him?

yeah that figures

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

If we had plenty of manufacturing jobs for people to work at, it would be fine, but we don't, too much imports.

First they changed the base of our economy from manufacturing to consumer base, they the consumer base economy is being disrupted from way too much buying on the net, this path is not even sensible, sooner or later no money will be left to buy anything with.

Horse poo. I bet there's at least 3 factory job openings for every unemployed person out there. Just in my small town of about 15k people we have 6 factories. They're all always hiring.

i argue this all the time.
i work in a foundry. worked in one before this.
i see the turnaround

dealing with customers and vendors in the industry. talking to them.

there are jobs out there man.
100%

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Sorry. I can't agree with your views on.

Amazon is right to be called out. They account for almost half of all e-commerce and that is expanding. Meanwhile, local retailers are going out of business left and right. Peolpe have all felt the crunch.

Wal-mart, eat your heart out.

They're going into the fresh food markets, expect the trend to continue.

Sure, prices are down, at the expense of American business and secondary jobs.

They DO employ many Americans, for PENNIES.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
And by the way, comparing specific types of MANUFACTURERS (i.e. auto) with the entire universe of brick & mortar + online retailers is about as absurd a false equivalence as anything ever could be.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: rickymouse

You are only looking at one side of the issue.

Yes these stores take out others, and yes they sell cheap products. So as bad as that is for the laborer, its good for the consumer.

Look I lean libertaraian. I want as little government interfence as possible.

If you think the government will do a good, fair job of picking winners and loser in business, thats your right.

I think that history has shown over and over again that they almost always fail.

Consumers need to have money to buy things. I know some people who work at places they cannot afford to shop at. I have been around for many years, I have seen a degredation in the value of the buying power of an income. The income has not gone up as much as it should have gone up. I know that most of this is because of raising healthcare expenses to employers, but part of it is because people are not buying locally. If a store has to sell their inventory for a thirty percent markup at a million sales a year to pay bills and pay help. What happens if they do not sell even seven hundred thousand worth of product, first thing first, no raises, less employee hours, and each worker needs to work harder to replace someone who got canned. That was not a problem years ago around here, people made a living wage, they could afford to go out to a restaurant other than McDs for the ninety nine cent specials.

I am looking at the whole picture, right now money is flowing to the top. Yeah, if you are a person who makes megabucks at Amazon, surely not a warehouse employee, than that is good for you. When people come to realize our whole economy is a big scam, it will crash down on everyone.

Yes, we’re fast approaching an automated economy in which few of any jobs will still exist for human hands; but Amazon and companies like them are at the forefront of this development, stifling them slows that progress. Yes the system is breaking down and this structure of capitalism will never survive the transition to an automated labor force, punishing these companies will also slow the coming of that day.
edit on 3/29/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/29/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

But but but they love getting those ridiculously cheap deals on everything they could ever want, without having to actually go and shop around to get the best deal, and having it shipped next day on Sunday for 'nothing'.

You like taking candy away from babies, jerk??

edit on 29-3-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
And by the way, comparing specific types of MANUFACTURERS (i.e. auto) with the entire universe of brick & mortar + online retailers is about as absurd a false equivalence as anything ever could be.

Except there is only a few amount of car manufacturers, which means it is even closer to a monopoly.

There are hundreds if not thousands of retailers.

You may say retail is more important that auto manufacturing, but the fcat is that there are far more retailers than auto manufacturers.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

So then raise the minimum wage to a living wage like it was intended. Unless the company in question is in violation of anti-trust laws, which Amazon isn't, you can't just single out one company for punitive measures.

If your issue is that Amazon doesn't pay enough to their workers, raise the minimum wage to an appropriate level. Is Amazon not paying enough taxes? Raise the corporate tax rate. Is Amazon using too many loopholes? Close the loopholes.

The bottom line is that Trump cannot just single out Amazon when many, if not all, corporations use the same methods as Amazon. Amazon just so happens to be the most successful.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

We are discussing just third party vendors here, which was a very small part of what trump said.

You wanna know what happens to third party vendors who sign up and list products on Amazon?

Unlike eBay, when new items are added into Amazon, Amazon makes a "Catalog" entry for that product to force every of the same item to conform to that listing model whatever, THEN Amozon now conscious of that product goes and buys a trainload of whatever that product is and then blows everyone out of the water on the price (brick & mortar, other online sites, little sellers in ebay AND their own little vendors).

Actually, ebay trying to implement what looks like a similar catalog system too. But they lack the shipping "factories" as I call them, and all that sort of supply chain etc, as far as I've actually noticed that is.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Exactly! One big retailer to completely blow out like 'millions' of other businesses of all shapes and sizes.

Compared to a hugely complex manufacturing realm where there's simply only room for a handful of MFG's in each type of category. One that Amazon is poised to 'absorb' every kind there ever was or will be.

We're on a rapid trajectory for this one single online site to blow out EVERYBODY who tries to sell ANYTHING that Amazon sells (which every single day it gets itself closer to offering EVERYTHING that is sold).

There's never been such a threat.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Have you ever done online mail order for a living?

In case you ever might have gotten a thing going from home doing it in your lifetime, well just scratch that entire notion completely off your potential list for the rest of your life on this trajectory. Unless that is you go and invent something that you can actually manufacture from home. YOu will be able to still sell old used junk on ebay, at least, but getting a thing started in your garage that you might go on to invest in a nice starter warehouse sort of thing. Well a five years ago there was an endless array of stuff you could have gotten into alibaba and got a neat little start with. Now now that list is already pretty much scrubbed right out. And I'm not just talking stuff like you'd see at BNest Buy here, I'm talking just about everything EVEN IN AliExpress. You ever dig into AliExpress? It really is something.
www.aliexpress.com...
And even all the little vendors in there with direct factory access wont hardly be able to compete with Amazon even in prices, as Amazon is already absorbing all that odd stuff in there too.

You know, I normally dont tell people to piss off from a discussion, but in this one case if you have no idea about starting your own business, especially an online retailer business, then you simply have no effing clue the kind of threat Amazon is and should probably shove off if you cant not take a serious position on this matter.

The Internet is supposed to be this great liberating thing, and until just a few years ago when the robot shipping 'factories' were erected and Prime went live, anyone and everyone could get into doing online sales of just about anything and live on their own dime. And now that snip is pretty much DEAD I mean like right NOW not just some mere future prediction kind of thing.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You wanna know what happens to third party vendors who sign up and list products on Amazon?

Unlike eBay, when new items are added into Amazon, Amazon makes a "Catalog" entry for that product to force every of the same item to conform to that listing model whatever, THEN Amozon now conscious of that product goes and buys a trainload of whatever that product is and then blows everyone out of the water on the price (brick & mortar, other online sites, little sellers in ebay AND their own little vendors).

Actually, ebay trying to implement what looks like a similar catalog system too. But they lack the shipping "factories" as I call them, and all that sort of supply chain etc, as far as I've actually noticed that is.

Note that. And my above post.

Theere's this famous saying "Amazon has yet to ever turn a profit". The basis behind the assertion being its a 'cash flow' cow. Meaning every penny in goes to buying up more stuff to list. Brilliant strategy cant knock it really.

But what I'm starting to think is, part fo that never turning a profit, watch it come out trends of data suggesting that even on stuff they've already had, they were setting prices so low not merely because that's how cheap they could do it with all that efficiency yada yada, but for the simple tactic of just flat out putting as many little guys out of business as they can before 'laws' etc rise up to stop them. So when the dust settles there's really only them left, anyways.

Pure robberbarron BS.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Trump thinks taxpayers have to pay for USPS delivery for Amazon...why do I keep getting surprised trump doesn't know how most everything works?

link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Gotcha..OK. Appreciate it. glad to hear that is happening for small local business!

link   
If Amazon, Google, Facebook etc. were organically developed in the free market, rather than installed by the CIA, I'd agree with your OP.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

So then raise the minimum wage to a living wage like it was intended. Unless the company in question is in violation of anti-trust laws, which Amazon isn't, you can't just single out one company for punitive measures.

If your issue is that Amazon doesn't pay enough to their workers, raise the minimum wage to an appropriate level. Is Amazon not paying enough taxes? Raise the corporate tax rate. Is Amazon using too many loopholes? Close the loopholes.

The bottom line is that Trump cannot just single out Amazon when many, if not all, corporations use the same methods as Amazon. Amazon just so happens to be the most successful.
Okay, I won't argue that. So when will Amazon do it? They're notorious enough to report it, how much longer should Amazon have to wait to pass on those incentives?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join