It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump is wrong to criticize Amazon

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
Didn't trump himself once say during his campaigning that if you don't use loopholes to game the system then your a fool?

Or something to that effect?

He did. He was super smart because he didn't pay a lot of taxes. Very stable genius type stuff.

And I agree with him, I don't want to pay any more taxes than I can possible get away with because eff you government.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Didn't trump himself once say during his campaigning that if you don't use loopholes to game the system then your a fool?

Or something to that effect?

Yep.

And that evil amazon, they are so despised, right?

That is why city after city is bending over backwords to give them tax break incentives to build their new plant there.

But apparently local and state government should be FORCED by the federal government to charge amazon more in taxes by the federal government, cause amazon is bad.

It makes no sense.

Again, this is coming from a guy that doesnt like Bezos.

But why should he be punished arbitraliy because they made so much money, or trump just doesnt like them.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: howtonhawky
We only have so much so at some point enough becomes enough.

But who sets the amount?

This is the same argument that was used by the Bolsheviks in Russia.

The people who owned the rural farms, the Kulaks they were called, were said to be greedy and own too much.

So they were killed or exiled.

And then millions of people starved, because it turned out those Kulaks were very smart and hard working, and were the reasons the farms were successful.

We saw that in Zimbabwe, we are about to see it in South africa.

By historical perspectives, I am guessing you are among the top 1% of the 1% ever in terms of wealth.

Even by todays standards, the fact that you have access to a computer and the time to be typing on a message border as opposed to scavanging for resources shows you are in around the top percentages of wealth

To others, you have enough, and are very greedy.

So should your wealth be capped by the government?

It always seems like everyone thinks the amount of wealth they have is perfectly acceptable and fine, its just some people above them that are dangerous and greedy and dont deserve the wealth.

As long as Bezos is not breaking the law, he, nor anyone else, should be punished for developing a product or labor that people willfully use and are willing to pay for.

very excellent retort

the answer is that we the people should have some amount of say in such and we already do. I forget the phonetical agency that controls monopolies but a run around has been done. There have been several amendments to control monopolies.

I purpose that we already have the power to cap monopolies but are failing to do so.

Regardless of ones view on the giants if we plan on having a free market system then certain control measures have to be used.

There has to be a point before total take over that we can agree would be a good point to begin to let individuals have more reign on the flow of goods.

Your entire post was full of extremes. that in itself is not bad but there is a whole other set of extremes and we need to operate in the middle.

Should att be allowed to buy time warner?iyo

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I agree OP, Trump should stay out of it. I believe one of the posters had a good point with the USPS deal though. Other than that, I know a couple people that work for Amazon. While they tend to pay competitive wages for comparable work, they tend to overwork their employees. This is also backed up by many reports over the years and is rated one of the worst places to work in the U.S. With Jeff Bezos making record profits all the time, I think he could at least hire more people to make it more enjoyable to work there and would boost the amount of taxes collected in our economy at the same time.
edit on 29-3-2018 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2018 by Middleoftheroad because: Grammer and typos

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Trump says not paying taxes is smart.

If it's ok for him it's ok for the rest of us right?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

This is classic Trump. He gives those who will research it a 'crumb' and then we can look it up.

1. Amazon pays almost nothing to the FED for Taxes.
2. Amazon gets tax breaks and currently there are many states and major cities courting them for the 2nd HQ. Local business does not get this. 10's of Billions are being offered
3. The Postal service is bleeding but without Amazon they would be dead. It is not helping them just keeping them afloat. Remember there are 2 dies to the PO. Infrastructure and Delivery(Marketing). Amazon has taken away the need for more infrastructure.
4. Amazon is now what Wal-Mart was 15-20 years ago but doing it online and not brick and mortar. Amazon IS killing small to mid size businesses. Where is Montgomery Wards? Small town electronic or computer stores? KMart? Now Toys R Us? All dinosaurs of the brick and mortar age replaced with Amazon Prime.

It is moving away from a 'free market' to a monopoly...which would not be free market in a sense, right?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I found the clip.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
2. Amazon gets tax breaks and currently there are many states and major cities courting them for the 2nd HQ. Local business does not get this.

Sure they do.

Our town granted a PILOT program to a local redeveloper so they could turn a former factory into condos.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: rickymouse

Amazon has a software development center and a fulfillment center in Michigan. If you're not paying sales tax on Amazon purchases then it's due to a decision by the state. Here in Virginia I've paid sales tax on pretty much every Amazon purchase I've made for at least a couple years now.

www.taxjar.com...-you-have-sales-tax-nexus-in-michigan

We haven't ordered anything non-food this year or half of last year, so I suppose something could have changed somewhat. But it says in the link above that if a company does not have tangable stores of product in Michigan, they might not be taxed or have to collect taxes. We bought Bone broth Geletin recently, but that is considered food. My daughter buys lots of stuff on the net and I called her just now and she said most stuff now from Amazon has been taxed for over a year and a half. I guess some of the companies selling on Amazon that are not Prime do not have to collect taxes, but that is about to change in the future.

So, I was wrong because we usually only order specialized food products from Amazon, if we want to get something prime, we usually have the daughter buy it and we pay her what it costs. Evidently we are paying taxes on that stuff. I think we have maybe got her to order two things not food for us in the last couple of years, we usually buy ninety nine percent of what we buy locally. We would buy everything here, but living at the end of the rainbow means that we do not have the selection here.

link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Having the ability to break up monopolies is different than saying someone should be punished because they make too much money, which is what is being said here.

Yes, the government can stop mergers, or break up companies to fight monopolies.

Did trump claim Amazon was a monopoly? How are the people on here saying Bezos makes a ton of money and should be taxed more in anyway close to breaking up a company for being a monopoly?

To me, I think talks of monopolies are used too much.

I can chose to get products from hundreds of places other than amazon.

What we are seeing here is people saying things like "amazon took away retailers, so they should be punished"

Thats absurd. Was ford punished for having assembly lines? Do we now need to punish tractor suppliers for taking farm laborers out of work?

But please, I am open to evidence you have that shows amazon is a monopoly.

I am then open to you showing me precedent to having the president call them out, or people suggesting overly taxing them because they make too much money.

I am not aware of any of that.

The suggestion on this thread is bezos is bad, too rich, or hurt retailers, and so needs punished.

That is anti free market, and a very dangerous precedent, and I hope that the people that cheer for that never get labeled too wealthly themselves and have calls for the givernment to punish them.

link   

All I know is screw Amazon... If youu can make 107 million a god damm day you can pay your employees a living wage...

Why is his greed ok?

link   

Are you kidding me?

Amazon is an absolute JUGGERNAUT that gets such preferential treatment from government its as if its getting paid subsidies.

Their cozy relationship with USPS in particular, its not just poised to absolutely crush what remains of brick & mortar following Walmart, but to do the same thing to online retailers especially all the little people (regular folks trying to get their own little online business thing going).

What Amazon is hellbent on doing to ALL other retailers.... Walmart eat your heart out.

Its even beyond the equivalence of comparing 'all other countries' to China in terms of output dominance sort of thing. China eat you heart out, but luckily for you every single item you'll ever offer will be availble at the absolutel lowest rate in Amazon Prime. Hell even the little vendors in AliExpress face the same kind of de facto extinction on this trajectory.

And then the part its building up towards its own 'Skynet' sort of aspirations on the back of all that...

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Like I said above, how can Amazon be considered anywhere near a monopoly when they have legitimate competitors in the likes of Walmart and Target?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Toys R us a staple store in America for years has to close, all those jobs lost as a direct result of Amazon..

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

This is classic Trump. He gives those who will research it a 'crumb' and then we can look it up.

1. Amazon pays almost nothing to the FED for Taxes.
2. Amazon gets tax breaks and currently there are many states and major cities courting them for the 2nd HQ. Local business does not get this. 10's of Billions are being offered

But they’re a job creator, don’t job creators deserve tax breaks?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Toys R us a staple store in America for years has to close, all those jobs lost as a direct result of Amazon..

And blockbuster died because of streaming services, should we punish Netflix as well?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

You are the only reason that your not rich. You.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

And blockbuster died because of streaming services, should we punish Netflix as well?

Blockbuster was always going to die it was only around for a decade or so.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

i enjoy your thoughts...

The problem i i think most have is his ways of getting around paying similar taxes than others.

He skirts billions in taxes to the usa by having a small headquarters outside the usa.

of coarse some taxes are still paid.

imo either lose the irs in the usa or allow him the opportunity to pay his fair share of which he currently is not paying the same amount that mom and pop which amazon replaced had to pay.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Blockbuster was always going to die it was only around for a decade or so.

No, it wasn't. They had a chance to do what Netflix originally did with mailing movies to customers but they missed the boat.

Bad business decisions strikes again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join