It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns don't kill people....

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Do they pull their own triggers?

Or is there a person doing that?

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I’m not for banning guns, but I really don’t like this argument. It’s condescending. We all know a gun doesn’t shoot itself. We all know a person pulls the trigger.

So, for those who want to do away with certain firearms, think of it like this. They don’t want to ban the gun, they want to ban people from having the gun. The guns are still there, the people just can’t have them.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus
Guns can - not all mind - go off without pulling the trigger and kill/maim people.

Yeah. Just ask Plaxico Buress.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Oh, I see. ...and you see nothing wrong with blaming a tool, for the actions of people?

As for banning certain people from owning firearms, are there not a whole book full of laws already out there for just that reason? A good percentage of those are unenforced, or even unenforceable, without being able to read minds.

Have you ever purchased a firearm? Legit question, I'm not trying to be an ass.

There are a whole plethora of questions one must answer in order to proceed with the purchase. It's annoying, but sometimes one has to deal with annoying things...

Anyway...

Answer even one of those questions wrong, ie lie (that's what they'll think, irregardless of whether you did or not), no gun for you.

I find it to be invasive. I am, essentially, on trial with no recourse, or appeal, should I be denied. Tell me that's not a violation of my rights? I'm not a criminal. Nor am I afflicted by psychological issues--that I'm aware of, anyway. Though some might disagree.

There are those, however, who are criminals, yet have never been charged/arrested. So are not in the Holy Grail of the background checks, or if they are, won't come back negative. Same with persons with psychological issues. Undiagnosed, untreated, and won't pop negative on any background check you care to come up with.

Deeper background checks? Sounds great on paper, but in reality, what does it do to stop horrors like school shootings, or any sort of illegal shooting, for that matter? IMHO, and you're certainly welcome to disagree, and you likely will, background checks are, at best, a half solution.

There are a sufficiency of laws out there to cover any eventuality. They won't stop 'em. No law ever has.

If someone is bound and determined to kill, they'll find a way. Not a gun? Car. Not a car? A knife. The list of tools available to kill with is, for all intents and purposes, endless.

Take away the reasons to kill with that vast array of tools, and you've solved the issue. The Palmdale shooter was, according to some stories I've heard, bullied. Would an intervention by some peers on his behalf perhaps helped him resolve his anger, and prevented the later shooting spree? We'll never know, because apparently no one tried, and it's way past too late now.

So, instead of talking about solving the issues of peer to peer bullying, and other associated issues, some want to take away one tool among many...that's self defeating, IMHO.

Another law/more intrusive checks, will do little to nothing to solve the underlying issue.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: seagull

I’m not for banning guns, but I really don’t like this argument. It’s condescending. We all know a gun doesn’t shoot itself. We all know a person pulls the trigger.

So, for those who want to do away with certain firearms, think of it like this. They don’t want to ban the gun, they want to ban people from having the gun. The guns are still there, the people just can’t have them.

I'd love to hear some of your suggestions.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Oh yeah you're right. I've never heard of a gun killing any body before.

I mean, a gun killing a person? Who in the world would have such a ridiculous idea?

You do know it’s the human pulling the trigger doing the killing? I hope...

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: auroraaus

So when was the last time a rogue gun got up and started shooting people on it's own?

Guns aren't sentient beings, silly!

I am just pointing out that there are some guns that do go off without a trigger being pulled, like mechanical malfunctions, being dropped, overheating, being holstered and so on and so forth. Being a smart alec, but I suppose that my tongue poking out emoticon didn't help convey that.

So stick your thumbs down up.

All results of human error (usually lack of following established safety rules for guns)...

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

So when was the last time a rogue gun got up and started shooting people on it's own?

Guns aren't sentient beings, silly!

I am just pointing out that there are some guns that do go off without a trigger being pulled, like mechanical malfunctions, being dropped, overheating, being holstered and so on and so forth. Being a smart alec, but I suppose that my tongue poking out emoticon didn't help convey that.

So stick your thumbs down up.

All results of human error (usually lack of following established safety rules for guns)...

Truth. Like any machine, if you don't follow the warnings and safety rules, you can get yourself or someone else injured or killed.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

A meteor could land on your head too, and it's about just as likely.

No, pretty sure a meteor landing on your head is more likely.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   

They don’t want to ban the gun, they want to ban people from having the gun.

That is what the whole hyperbolic argument is about. We know that's the goal...if only it weren't for that pesky constitution. Thus, they are going for the guns instead.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

They don’t want to ban the gun, they want to ban people from having the gun.

That is what the whole hyperbolic argument is about. We know that's the goal...if only it weren't for that pesky constitution. Thus, they are going for the guns instead.

And background checks for ammo and any other hoops they can make you jump through to make it so expensive and difficult to own one that a lot of people just can't. That's what a lot of cities have done. They have a long and slow application process for a concealed carry permit where you can literally be denied for any reason they want, they institute a series of fees that are well beyond what other states and cities have with the intent to price a lot of people out of being able to own one.

The sad part is the people these type of measures hurt most are poor minorities who live in high crime neighborhoods, who have the most legitimate and immediate need for self defense.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join