It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Hogg evading Debate challenge from fellow Parkland student

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: JBurns

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't the right been avoiding talking about guns for years?

Ha...not at all. The other side is just unwilling to listen and overly-willing to demonize instead. I think that 2A advocates are just tired of talking to what amounts to brick walls about the topic (except these brick walls hurl insults and screams back).

"The right" (which, as you know, is not where all 2nd-Amendment advocates reside) has generally always been willing and able to talk cogently about that right, it's just that too many don't care or are unwilling to actually listen or intelligently discuss it, for the most part.

Like David Hogg.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I gotta say, I find the fear and hatred a bunch of high school students can engender among adults on the right by merely expressing their opinions to be pretty sad.

I mean Jesus, just ignore them if they're causing you so much mental anguish — it's not like they hold office. They're not passing legislation, they're not setting policy, they're just saying things that you don't like. Give it a couple months without a school shooting and they'll be forgotten.

Well, I gotta say, I find the fear and hatred a bunch of second-amendment advocates can engender among adults on the left by merely expressing their opinions to be pretty sad.

I mean Jesus, just ignore them if they're causing you so much mental anguish — it's not like they are forcing you to read their comments. They're not holding a gun to your head and making anyone stop talking or listen to their statements, they're just saying things that you don't like. Give it a couple months without asinine ignorance being spouted 'from the mouths of babes,' so to speak, and they won't feel a need to call out the stupidity when it's being shoved in their faces everywhere they look.

Funny how your "advice" is a two-way street, isn't it?
edit on 29-3-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I gotta say, I find the fear and hatred a bunch of high school students can engender among adults on the right by merely expressing their opinions to be pretty sad.

I mean Jesus, just ignore them if they're causing you so much mental anguish — it's not like they hold office. They're not passing legislation, they're not setting policy, they're just saying things that you don't like. Give it a couple months without a school shooting and they'll be forgotten.
At the same time, many more powerful orgs are helping run these large scale marches and propping up these kids to say their talking points. So, it's a bit disingenuous to say "it's just a bunch of dumb kids."

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

a reply to: olaru12

off topic but yeah....the wall. Any conservative worth their salt should be disgusted at what that wall is going to do to the debt.

Maybe that's way he signed that omnibus bill? So that the military could fund it....such a waste of money.

The Dems wanted to spend it all on cameras and more border agents manning the cameras as they pour through a non existent border. They probably wanted a head count of future voters, it's their version of the census.

The cost of the wall is a drop in the bucket of the debt. If they really did sneak wall funding into the military budget, and the military can be fully funded, I don't give a #.

As I understand it, the POTUS is in absolute command of the military, it is his sworn duty to uphold national defense and the border wall is a literal defense structure of the nation. He tricked them dirty Dems into giving him the biggest military budget increase since Reagan, now he gets to spend it on national defense and there is nothing they can do about it.

I'm sure they will sue over it, but in the end I think he will win because as you said as President he has sole discretion to decide what's a national security issue. Congress doesn't micromanage and approve every dollar the military spends, they approve broad line items but the specific spending is left up to the Pentagon and lower levels. I used to purchase supplies for my unit, spending that government dime.

So then you know it comes down to how that DOD budget money is “fenced”. Government is very specific in military budgets on what money can be spent on what areas. As an example, personnel dollars cannot just arbitrarily be spent on a wall (or airplane, ship, tank, etc.). Would have to see how dollars were split up in budget. I also think a border wall falls more under Homeland Security, not DOD, but that’s just me. Pesky posse comitatus act.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

(and don't forget, it's an enumerated "must" in the Constitution to pay for our military...not so much with federal welfare, and certainly not for federally run healthcare)

No reply needed.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Nice strawman.

I go after no child.

Disagreeing isn't going after some one you hack.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

David hogg does not have the power to take away anything from anyone.
But trump does.

So who should you be directing your anger toward.
A kid with no real power or the guy that took away your right to own a bump stock?

Trump is the ONLY person that has taken anything from you .

Nice try, but none of us really care about bump stocks, as they are useless for anything other than showing off. And they malfunction enough as it is that you couldn't even accomplish that.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

a reply to: olaru12

off topic but yeah....the wall. Any conservative worth their salt should be disgusted at what that wall is going to do to the debt.

Maybe that's way he signed that omnibus bill? So that the military could fund it....such a waste of money.

The Dems wanted to spend it all on cameras and more border agents manning the cameras as they pour through a non existent border. They probably wanted a head count of future voters, it's their version of the census.

The cost of the wall is a drop in the bucket of the debt. If they really did sneak wall funding into the military budget, and the military can be fully funded, I don't give a #.

As I understand it, the POTUS is in absolute command of the military, it is his sworn duty to uphold national defense and the border wall is a literal defense structure of the nation. He tricked them dirty Dems into giving him the biggest military budget increase since Reagan, now he gets to spend it on national defense and there is nothing they can do about it.

I'm sure they will sue over it, but in the end I think he will win because as you said as President he has sole discretion to decide what's a national security issue. Congress doesn't micromanage and approve every dollar the military spends, they approve broad line items but the specific spending is left up to the Pentagon and lower levels. I used to purchase supplies for my unit, spending that government dime.

So then you know it comes down to how that DOD budget money is “fenced”. Government is very specific in military budgets on what money can be spent on what areas. As an example, personnel dollars cannot just arbitrarily be spent on a wall (or airplane, ship, tank, etc.). Would have to see how dollars were split up in budget. I also think a border wall falls more under Homeland Security, not DOD, but that’s just me. Pesky posse comitatus act.

Right, that's what I meant by there are certain line items the money is appropriated towards, but they're often broadly worded. I'm sure there's something the wall could fall under.

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Couldn't have said it better myself Wardaddy

Only reason I ever gave two-cents about them is teeing off liberals

Otherwise, a complete waste of ammo and time

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Im not going to get the broad brush out here...but there is something to be said about the primary mental differences between the 2 political beliefs we have in the US. One side tends to think rationally, succeeds in STEM programs, and approaches the world is a convservative social and fiscal manner. The other side thinks more with the gut (truthyness) and emotion, succeeds more in the arts than sciences, and approaches the world with a more liberal viewpoint.

Debating is not typically the bailiwick of the liberally minded, although (as referenced by my prologue about not wanting to bring out a broad brush), we can see among our own members here that the above generalizations are only generalizations and not rules. Antediluvian can debate among the best I've seen.

Anyway...i hope Hogg steps up. I don't expect him to. The bald chick, however...i could see her having the moxy to do it.

Most scientists identify as liberal.

Conservatives thinking they are more rational is not the same as conservatives being more rational.

Absolute bull sh..

Most of us are Conservative in the literal sense and may allow ourselves to see quite liberally on you having your RIGHTS. We are fiscal conservatives and very few vote D but we do have to eat and if the job pays for research and a tidy sum left over, then food is plentiful. When the gravy train runs out , there better be another approved and funded research project our out you go. String enough of those together and you have tenure!

At the media enshrined official Uni's you have a lot of Liberal NON scientist types mixed in with the scientist using the Harvard, Yale brand names. The scientist work for food so to speak in our system and the smart ones go for big grants. Need we say anymore?

edit on 30-3-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: villagesmithie
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Im not going to get the broad brush out here...but there is something to be said about the primary mental differences between the 2 political beliefs we have in the US. One side tends to think rationally, succeeds in STEM programs, and approaches the world is a convservative social and fiscal manner. The other side thinks more with the gut (truthyness) and emotion, succeeds more in the arts than sciences, and approaches the world with a more liberal viewpoint.

I don't believe a word of it. My own daughter would be considered liberal. She has a degree in environmental science and finishing up another in accounting, and I haven't been able to win an argument with her since she was 14. It's not at all about politics.

To claim that liberals think emotionally and conservatives logically is laughable. There are VERY!!! emotional conservatives and plenty of logical liberals. To try to claim politics in this regarded is ridiculous. I think many people see their own opinions as very logical and fail to see the logic in opinions of people who disagree with them. That is one of the reasons discussions across belief systems is so hard. If you don't value another's opinions your not communicating honestly.

In my office several of us are Environmental Scientists. My office is full of engineers, physicist, biologist and chemist.
I see that IT IS the emotional lefty leaning ones and the logical right. Sorry to bust your bubble.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

a reply to: face23785

Honestly we wouldn't have to cut anything if we spent the money more wisely.
If there was an accounting for each dollar spent.

I bet all of us dems, repubs and everything in between would be ready to march on washington if we found out how our tax dollars where really being spent.

Nice point. The problem isn't how the money is being spent for either party as they just brush us off when we notice. I see people getting easy gov no bid contracts no matter the administration and money constantly not being properly accounted on the federal level.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

a reply to: villagesmithie

Yea. I cant make anyone listen to me. Not sure theyd want to.

But i can say that while i lean right...im nonpartisan enough to pass for either group.

If it helps, i didnt think this stuff up. Its the result of discussions with a child who teaches

I am listening to you and often I very much like your point of view, if I count....

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

You're not bursting my bubble yet. There is a lot of ingrained ways of thinking in our society. To claim hiring practices and career choices proves liberals are emotional and conservatives are logical is like saying it's snowing in my back yard so climate change is fake.

Oh wait, that argument won't effect "conservative logic", they're only scientific and logical when it suits the debate. never mind.
edit on 30-3-2018 by villagesmithie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Debating is not typically the bailiwick of the liberally minded, although (as referenced by my prologue about not wanting to bring out a broad brush), we can see among our own members here that the above generalizations are only generalizations and not rules. Antediluvian can debate among the best I've seen.

Anyway...i hope Hogg steps up. I don't expect him to. The bald chick, however...i could see her having the moxy to do it.

Most scientists identify as liberal.

Conservatives thinking they are more rational is not the same as conservatives being more rational.

Absolute bull sh..

Most of us are Conservative in the literal sense and may allow ourselves to see quite liberally on you having your RIGHTS. We are fiscal conservatives and very few vote D but we do have to eat and if the job pays for research and a tidy sum left over, then food is plentiful. When the gravy train runs out , there better be another approved and funded research project our out you go. String enough of those together and you have tenure!

At the media enshrined official Uni's you have a lot of Liberal NON scientist types mixed in with the scientist using the Harvard, Yale brand names. The scientist work for food so to speak in our system and the smart ones go for big grants. Need we say anymore?

As a 'scientist' (tries not to laugh) you should probably understand that your own personal bias isn't evidence.

m.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't the right been avoiding talking about guns for years?

Yep your wrong.

Because the left has been taking the guns and forgetting due process since 1934.

I wonder why shills like Hogg and company don't want to talk or even acknowledge existing gun control laws.

FDR's National Firearms Act.

Johnsons Gun Control Act.

Clintons Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act.

Clinton AWB.

Clintons School Gun Free Zone Act.

And Reagans Firearms Owners Protection act that fixed the abuses of Johnsons GCA.

edit on 30-3-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Taste of their own medicine I'd say.

Don't forget when you comment that I am a supporter of the 2ed and don't want the government taking anything from us.

Not that I am aware of. Who from the right has been on TV talking about the 2A and refused debate?

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
I agree with you 100% What I don’t agree with is damning a kid to hell. What Metallicus said was wrong.

If that "kid" didn't blatantly start trying to build his empire on the still-warm corpses of fellow pupils, and continue trampling on their bones in order to retain the limelight, we would have a lot more sympathy for him.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

He comes across as a petulant child. Dialogue is not had by insulting and cursing at people, demanding capitulation while pointing/jumping feverishly and yelling obscenities.

The grown ups I know ignore him for his demeanor, which comes across like he's about 3 seconds from slamming his bedroom door.

posted on Mar, 30 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

a reply to: EvillerBob

Dialogue is not had by insulting and cursing at people, demanding capitulation while pointing/jumping feverishly and yelling obscenities.

It's always worked perfectly well for me

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join