It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Hogg evading Debate challenge from fellow Parkland student

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Feel free to go after whatever children you want.

My point is that it isn't doing you any good.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: villagesmithie
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Im not going to get the broad brush out here...but there is something to be said about the primary mental differences between the 2 political beliefs we have in the US. One side tends to think rationally, succeeds in STEM programs, and approaches the world is a convservative social and fiscal manner. The other side thinks more with the gut (truthyness) and emotion, succeeds more in the arts than sciences, and approaches the world with a more liberal viewpoint.

I don't believe a word of it. My own daughter would be considered liberal. She has a degree in environmental science and finishing up another in accounting, and I haven't been able to win an argument with her since she was 14. It's not at all about politics.

To claim that liberals think emotionally and conservatives logically is laughable. There are VERY!!! emotional conservatives and plenty of logical liberals. To try to claim politics in this regarded is ridiculous. I think many people see their own opinions as very logical and fail to see the logic in opinions of people who disagree with them. That is one of the reasons discussions across belief systems is so hard. If you don't value another's opinions your not communicating honestly.

Again...i tried to give my broad brush disclaimer. Because of folks like you with anecdotes to match my own.

Your daughter finds herself in a position of having her knowledge at odds with the political paradigm in power. I'd suspect she is a member of any movement she can find that would push back against the lack of insight in DC.

But im talking about fiscal conservatism. Not social. Again, as previously mentioned.

In my personal life, since we are swapping anecdotes, I know a large amount of electrical engineers, architects, and business people (remember...business is a science degree) that all are pretty staunch conservatives. In fact, any business person I know who is an actual business person (venture capitalist) is all to happy to support the GOP and capitalism.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Sad but true. It is everywhere.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: JBurns

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't the right been avoiding talking about guns for years?

Consider yourself corrected. We're more than willing to talk about guns, gun laws and gun policy. It's just hard to find a gun control advocate who knows enough to have such a conversation. Care to start one?

ETA: I can provide several examples. The thread linked in my sig is one. Not one response from a gun control advocate.
edit on 28 3 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Correct me if i'm wrong but hasn't the right been avoiding talking about guns for years?

Taste of their own medicine I'd say.

Don't forget when you comment that I am a supporter of the 2ed and don't want the government taking anything from us.

Right has and is willing to discuss guns. Like when will authorities begin to enforce existing gun laws? When will psychological professionals start ensuring mentally deficient citizens are clearly identified? When will the the left quit thinking a gun can pull its own trigger? Why don’t the gun grabbers know the difference between an M-4 or M-16 (real assault weapons) and an AR15 (not an assault weapon)? ...and many other questions that put the responsibility, you know, on the actual shooter and not on law abiding gun owners.

On the topic of David Hogg, an alleged victim at Parkland, he is nothing but a bomb throwing puppet whose star will soon be fizzling out. Same for the young lady who admits she and her friends bullied Cruz “because we know him, okay” and she really thinks its okay. Though they don’t seem to want to take the responsibility of pushing Cruz over the edge.

Hope those that claim they support the 2A pay attention to what the retired justice said today. It’s about complete repeal of the 2A, not common sense gun restrictions as is repeatedly claimed.

But tell you what, you decide what 2A restrictions you want to add to my rights and I’ll decide what 1A, 4A, 14A, etc., rights I want to restrict for you. I’m sure some of you have things on your property that could kill me.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

Taste of their own medicine I'd say.

Don't forget when you comment that I am a supporter of the 2ed and don't want the government taking anything from us.

Same for the young lady who admits she and her friends bullied Cruz “because we know him, okay” and she really thinks its okay. Though they don’t seem to want to take the responsibility of pushing Cruz over the edge.

This to me is just disgusting. What's more disgusting is the way they will circle the wagons around her and defend her.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

It's just hard to find a gun control advocate who knows enough to have such a conversation. Care to start one?

I'm not a gun control advocate.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

But im talking about fiscal conservatism. Not social. Again, as previously mentioned.

From the post I was responding to:

and approaches the world is a convservative social and fiscal manner

I'm confused.

The responses to the school shootings are a response to friends and accountants being killed and as such has an emotional root. But, to label them as a typical liberal, emotional response is to devalue them. I could say the same of many conservative responses.

By the way I had a childhood friend killed in a school shooting, does that make my response emotional an hence illogical.

Because there is an emotional attachment to an issue doesn't mean there isn't also logical thought involved. Claiming it's emotional ignores any logic behind it.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

No Way a Pussy Like Pig Boy would Take a Direct Challenge like that . A Debate ? How About they Arm Wrestle Instead ?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

Though they don’t seem to want to take the responsibility of pushing Cruz over the edge.

Hey if cruz can't take it he has no business being a politician.

Hope those that claim they support the 2A pay attention to what the retired justice said today. It’s about complete repeal of the 2A, not common sense gun restrictions as is repeatedly claimed.

He is just a silly old man with no power. No one is cares what he has to say except those that want to use his words to label an entire group.

But tell you what, you decide what 2A restrictions you want to add to my rights

I don't want ANY restrictions to 2a.

I’ll decide what 1A, 4A, 14A, etc., rights I want to restrict for you

That would make you just as bad as the gun grabbers.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

It's just hard to find a gun control advocate who knows enough to have such a conversation. Care to start one?

I'm not a gun control advocate.

Where would you say we should start in order to address gun violence?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I think if we had good free health care and higher wages we would see less violence in our country across the board.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

a reply to: Lab4Us

He is just a silly old man with no power. No one is cares what he has to say except those that want to use his words to label an entire group.

I certainly take your point on this, however the scary part is about one-third of surveyed Democrats want the 2nd repealed. Even a small percentage of Republicans said repeal the 2nd.

Source

That's why we need to counter the loud voices right now calling to restrict us.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I think if we had good free health care and higher wages we would see less violence in our country across the board.

There's certainly merit to both of those positions. Obviously the mental health aspect needs to be addressed. It's demonstrable that poorer neighborhoods tend to have higher crime rates. It would logically follow, in theory, that if wages rose, in general, you'd see a reduction in crime.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

You need to
that commie talk right now. Ain't nuttin free.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

The responses to the school shootings are a response to friends and accountants being killed and as such has an emotional root. But, to label them as a typical liberal, emotional response is to devalue them. I could say the same of many conservative responses.

It seems you missed the very first sentence of that post. Ill quote it here for you, so you can make sure to read it:

Im not going to get the broad brush out here

If that didn't make it clear, let me quote where i reiterated it towards the end of that post:

Debating is not typically the bailiwick of the liberally minded, although (as referenced by my prologue about not wanting to bring out a broad brush), we can see among our own members here that the above generalizations are only generalizations and not rules

I hope that helps.

By the way I had a childhood friend killed in a school shooting, does that make my response emotional an hence illogical.

No. Your demeanor does.

I had several friends die in school. I know how much that sucks. No 15 year old should be asked to be pall bearer for a friend...but us rednecks just don't know any better.

Because there is an emotional attachment to an issue doesn't mean there isn't also logical thought involved. Claiming it's emotional ignores any logic behind it.

I would be happy to discuss anything on a case by case basis.
Rarely do I see people allow emotions into a conversation where they are able to maintain logical control. But im open to having my mind changed.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

If people feel like they have control over their own lives they are less likely to want to mess that life up by committing a crime.

Health and money. Two biggest things that keep people down.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Payed for with tax money.

Not by raising taxes but by spending tax money more efficiently.

By cutting spending starting with the military.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I'm sorry for my liberal emotional response. I'll leave you to your conservative logic now.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:39 PM
link   

I'm sorry for my liberal emotional response. I'll leave you to your conservative logic now.

Or you could take him up on his offer to have a facts-based conversation, which is what we really need on this issue.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join