It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How come liberals don't want to talk about mental health in relation to school shootings?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: crtrvt

More like incredulous.

These people have never owned a firearm, nor do they frankly have a clue what they're talking about. They flee from the suggestion of debate, and take talking points from CNN and other extremist anti-second amendment groups (like Everytown for gun confiscation)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

How is the purge coming along?.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
a reply to: amazing

Agreed, the threats are ridiculous. Despite Hogg's cowardly avoidance of every single debate challenge, threats are never called for.

If they can't refute his BS statements with facts and logic then I don't know what to say!

We need to keep in mind he's a just a kid. If you want to attack someone, attack those who are hijacking this movement or jumping on board.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Because there looking for a simple solution to a complex problem.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Because there looking for a simple solution to a complex problem.

Mental Health and Bullying are the simplest solutions. All we need to do is start copying what succesful schools, counties, states and countries are doing.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

Agreed, the threats are ridiculous. Despite Hogg's cowardly avoidance of every single debate challenge, threats are never called for.

If they can't refute his BS statements with facts and logic then I don't know what to say!

We need to keep in mind he's a just a kid.

Have a wild guess at the age of Alexander the Great when he rose to prominence?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

originally posted by: amazing

We need to keep in mind he's a just a kid.

Have a wild guess at the age of Alexander the Great when he rose to prominence?

Different times and he was an anomaly. There's a reason we don't let anyone under 18 join the military.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

This is NOT the Mud Pit!!!

All rules for polite political debate will be enforced.
Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

You are responsible for your own posts.....those who ignore that responsibility will face mod actions.

and, as always:

Do NOT reply to this post!!

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I vehemently disagree - mainly because I remember vividly when I was 18 and how I viewed the world - mainly from reading books in the library through high school, university and beyond - lots of books. The only thing thats changed is the internet and the consequential exposure of a world-dominant system of control that uses propaganda, lies, fake news, secret bills and war to keep the humans at bay.

Same as in Alexanders time.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I am not saying it is right. Yeah it's obvious you don't threaten kids, which was probably why they are using them.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

" How come liberals don't want to talk about mental health in relation to school shootings? "

Because they are Complete Self Centered Emotionless Parrots who have been Debased in this Human Life by Deceivers of the TRUTH Right in Front of Their Noises !! Sorry , you Asked for it Sir !

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I vehemently disagree - mainly because I remember vividly when I was 18 and how I viewed the world - mainly from reading books in the library through high school, university and beyond - lots of books. The only thing thats changed is the internet and the consequential exposure of a world-dominant system of control that uses propaganda, lies, fake news, secret bills and war to keep the humans at bay.

Same as in Alexanders time.

I don't know. I think those under 18 should be exempt from personal attacks. I think everyone should, but especially those under 18. In high school, I was a late bloomer...didnt really start to mature until my early 20s. I was emotional, short fused, depressed, shy, antisocial in some ways, not assertive. I like you read a lot of books, but I just wasn't an adult.

I would go on the warpath if anyone personally attacked one of my children. You definitely wouldn't want to be in my way. It makes me furious that more parents don't stand up for their children, but that's a different thread, eh?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Then here's the million dollar question: instead of trying to move on gun restriction (then whining about how they got no movement...except bump stocks, which are dumb anyway) and failing, why not move on what can be agree upon (and would improve the lives of actual living humans)?

It seems to me that if you really want to "do something", you'd stop banging your head against the wall and "do something" where you are able to get some sort of movement. All that wasted energy and effort, and they never "do anything".

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

" How come liberals don't want to talk about mental health in relation to school shootings? "

Because they are Complete Self Centered Emotionless Parrots who have been Debased in this Human Life by Deceivers of the TRUTH Right in Front of Their Noises !! Sorry , you Asked for it Sir !

You're correct to a degree, except conservatives can also be emotionless parrots who have been debased by the talking heads on right wing media, but I digress.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I'm liberal, and I generally include issues of mental health when discussing school shootings, or any kind of mass shooting for that matter, because it's definitely a mental health issue when any nut shoots up a place. I think most people do not dismiss mental health issues when mass shootings are involved.

That's kinda the point.

edit on 28-3-2018 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

One thing that really ticks me off though is the notion of self-esteem. Sure kids need to build self-esteem, but right now, we're in the middle of trying to give kids self-esteem. It's empty.

Kids have to be subjected to a certain amount of adversity in their lives in order to learn how to cope with not just success but also failure. They cannot be insulated from everything and constantly told how wonderful and special they are and then go out in the world and function well because they won't be able to cope.

It's not healthy to never taste and deal with true failure anymore than it is to never have the chance to try to achieve true success, but that's the environment that some are trying to create for kids in order to make sure everything is "fair" so no one feels bad.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

I'm liberal, and I genrally include issues of mental health when discussing school shootings, or any kind of mass shooting for that matter, because it's definitely a mental health issue when any nut shoots up a place. I think most people do not dismiss mental health issues when mass shootings are involved.

That's kinda the point.

I have to disagree....I think most people dismiss it. They'll acknowledge it if you say something, but they'll switch gears to gun control right away. Don't take my guns or we need a some stricter laws. That always becomes the switch in the discussion.

Our media especially and I think most people get their ques from the media they watch. Not watching CNN or MSNBC or FOX NEWS or Talk radio is pretty liberating. I can actually form my own opinions and not become brainwashed.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

One thing that really ticks me off though is the notion of self-esteem. Sure kids need to build self-esteem, but right now, we're in the middle of trying to give kids self-esteem. It's empty.

Kids have to be subjected to a certain amount of adversity in their lives in order to learn how to cope with not just success but also failure. They cannot be insulated from everything and constantly told how wonderful and special they are and then go out in the world and function well because they won't be able to cope.

It's not healthy to never taste and deal with true failure anymore than it is to never have the chance to try to achieve true success, but that's the environment that some are trying to create for kids in order to make sure everything is "fair" so no one feels bad.

I agree with you there. I once heard a quote that you get true self esteem from doing esteemable things. Meaning you set a goal and you achieve it. You try new experiences. You learn that hard work pays off. You learn to lose gracefully. You learn that sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you in life.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

But again, we're talking a mental health issue.

Take a kid who has never tasted real failure, doesn't maybe have a father figure in his life to show him how to cope with becoming a man, might have some mental instability issues ... and you have a potential recipe for trouble. Then, bully him.

**EDIT**

I know someone pointed out you don't see as many minority mass shooters, but in the inner city, you do have gangs. I distinctly recall taking a grad course in education where they talked about how in the inner cities the gang structure was often what replaced fathering for many kids.
edit on 28-3-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

But again, we're talking a mental health issue.

Take a kid who has never tasted real failure, doesn't maybe have a father figure in his life to show him how to cope with becoming a man, might have some mental instability issues ... and you have a potential recipe for trouble. Then, bully him.

there you go...mental health and bullying.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join