It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cute and Friendly Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker Fish Turns into Glowing Demon

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Now I know the title is a little crazy but hey you will see in a moment what I am referring to. It is best to read this thread top to bottom including watching the video

But before I show you the article and picture, let's have a look at this Pacific spiny lumpsucker fish...
caution: it is too cute

So we go from this...

To this....

How?

Well here is the article

‘Demonic’ Fish Glows in Eerie Photo
www.richarddawkins.net...

An armor-studded fish skeleton, its empty eye sockets fixed upon observers with a baleful stare, glows red under fluorescent light and against a black background, in a photo recently captured and shared on Twitter by Leo Smith, an associate professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at The University of Kansas.

But the fish is no demon, and the image wasn’t crafted in Photoshop or using digital manipulation — the color, glow and spiky studs that line the fish’s bones are all normal features of an aquatic oddball called the Pacific spiny lumpsucker (Eumicrotremus orbis), Smith told Live Science.

Pacific spiny lumpsuckers — when they’re alive — are genuinely adorable. They’re small and rotund, bearing a distinct resemblance to a spiky, bug-eyed golf ball. The common name is an apt description of the tiny fish, calling attention to their Pacific Ocean habitat, their coat of bony lumps — known as tubercles — and a large sucker on their stomachs that helps them cling to rocks...

So it is actually the skeleton of the fish that glows...very interesting!

Happy Hump Day!

edit on 28-3-2018 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

So we go from this...

To this....

Personally I find the 2nd pic cuter but each to their own...

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Pic 2 - Rep....Fishtilians!

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

How has disney not made a movie out of this yet??

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Cute but definitely not cuddly.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Spiny Lumpsucker? were the marine biologists on lunch break and let the janitor name it?

Why not give it a cool name like 'twilight devil fish?' by day he's cute, by night he's the stealer of souls.

edit on 28-3-2018 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

But the fish is no demon,

Did Dawkins write that himself? I'd be surprised if even five people on Earth needed that spelling out.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Sorry

Spiney Lumpsucker just sounds funny. I don't know why. Why does weasel boogers sound funny?

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

It's a GrootFish!

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

When the lights go out you have to look tough so no one $%*@#'s with you.

edit on 28-3-2018 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Awww, that thing is adorable! Thanks for sharing this!

posted on Mar, 29 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You should look up the Mantis Shrimp.... colorful little shrimp that kills it's prey by spearing it faster than you can see. It's even been known to break the glass of aquariums it's kept in.

It's so fast, it makes little shockwave bubbles, that can kill its prey even if the spear fails to. It's considered to have the most complex eyes of any animal.

new topics

top topics

join