It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The March for Our Guilt

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   
It will be soon forgotten when the next thing comes along, as always....

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

edit on 27-3-2018 by Groot because: because ATS is acting wonky. Double post.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: DBCowboy

Chibok girls kidnapped by Boko Haram paraded in new video

That was one of my favorites. Hundreds of thousands of idiots that thought their tweets could change the world.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: intrepid
With all this attention being paid them looks like a nerve was hit big time.

There is no quicker way to get a response from me than to try to limit my freedom. When an organized group attempts to steal rights from their fellow citizens I see them as a threat.

But I see that it could be a slippery slope.

The problem is, that's exactly what they're hoping for.

When they give us that inch, that bump stock ban, we will take a mile.

I don't know. Except that I did agree with the Bump Stock Ban. I'm okay with some better background checks, age restrictions and data base linkage or longer wait times. I don't think they'll start taking guns...that will never happen.

But if they get that, then we better have a huge discussion on mental health and an increase in funding.

I'm okay with the bump stock ban too, in principle. They were clearly designed to get around the restrictions on automatic weapons. Technically though, they're legal under the law as it's written. Even the Obama ATF and DOJ were forced to admit that, which is why they're not already banned. If Trump orders them banned, it's likely to get challenged in court and I don't see how Trump will win, the way the law is currently written. That kind of thing is supposed to be done through Congress. If Congress's law isn't strict enough for you, the President can't just add additional restrictions that aren't compliant with the law. The devices are legal the way the law is presently written.

That said, the devices themselves are largely a curiosity, and not very practical. If you tried to use one in the typical school shooting, it likely wouldn't give you any advantage, and might even lower your body count. The only place I could say it probably helped is in a scenario like the Vegas shooting, where you aren't shooting individual people but just firing at a mass of 20,000+ people with barely anywhere to go. And even then, honestly with a little practice you could pull the trigger on a semi-auto almost as fast as you can with the bump stock, especially if you've modded the trigger.

All that said, once you start down that road there are all kinds of accessories the gun control lobby wants to ban, so I understand why some gun rights groups won't even make the bump stock concession.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   

That was one of my favorites. Hundreds of thousands of idiots that thought their tweets could change the world.

Virtue signalling seems more of a way to justify doing nothing by making it appear as if you’re doing something.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: JinMI

Virtual or virtue?

I guess "virtue"

Is it a thing like an iPad or something?

More like "I was paid"..

edit on 27-3-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Virtue signalling is a way to let everyone else know you are in the tribe with them. Sort of like SJW gang signs.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

With all this attention being paid them looks like a nerve was hit big time.

Yeah, hiding behind children to strip people of their unalienable rights can do that.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Man, that whole thing made me so sick. All these idiots pretending to give a damn about something they didn't even know about till they saw a few tweets a day prior.

I think that was the first I heard about virtue signalling, actually...
edit on 28-3-2018 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   

They are using our children against us.

No surprise there. When it stops working it'll stop happening. I wouldn't hold my breath.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I think you misunderstand.

Expression is not virtue signalling. Virtue signalling is the use of expression to exploit perceptions of those witness to it. Its dishonest in that its only purpose is to claim territory in the identity of the politics its user wants to align with.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

a reply to: BlueMule

However, the March For Our Lives movement *is* actually trying to fix the problem. So it seems the phrase is inappropriate in this case.

It's quite appropriate. Marching has absolutely zero effect beyond personal satisfaction and group catharsis.

Can't agree. It got a response from the opposition.

This is kinda funny. This is like the 1st attacking the 2nd.

In your example, the opposition are law abiding citizens who were not wanting a provocation to respond.

Which means thet were trolled.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Protests work. Otherwise why are so many folks against them?

edit on 28-3-2018 by DogStarIn1066 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DogStarIn1066

Protests work. Otherwise why do many folks against them?

To get people against them is the unintended, not the intended consequences of a protest.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Well, they call attention to movements, folks get involved and energised.

In many cases governments kill protestors.

Protest alone does little. You have to organise, apply pressure, communicate, raise money, etc.

Does not make a difference what your cause is, but protest is often helpful for that cause.
edit on 28-3-2018 by DogStarIn1066 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

However, the March For Our Lives movement *is* actually trying to fix the problem. So it seems the phrase is inappropriate in this case.

It's quite appropriate. Marching has absolutely zero effect beyond personal satisfaction and group catharsis.

In your example, the opposition are law abiding citizens who were not wanting a provocation to respond.

That's the purpose of protesting. To garner attention to whatever they are protesting about.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

That's the purpose of protesting. To garner attention to whatever they are protesting about.

It is basically promotion and advertising.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Agreed.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

This actually reminds me of Hitler and his Brownshirts.

They are using our children against us.
And the Chinese Cultural Revolution even more.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Yeah, it seems as if they are capitalizing on this tragedy to push a specific, Democrat aligned political goal. What worries me more is if this is an incremental move to take later more guns than proposed.

It blows my mind that most of my friends think that this is all grass roots, "led by survivors," and of pure apolitical motive.

Another question id like to pose is what other issue might this be distracting from?

It's a sad place to be once we've lost trust in many movements and media representations of them. That goes for all sides of the political spectrum. This last election cycle and post election hysteria has really done a number on me.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join