It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The March for Our Guilt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
When an immature mob took to the streets to “march for their lives”, they were of course lauded by the media, corporate, and celebrity class. But when the rich and famous fund and encourage these kids, they only incentivize an eerily familiar and dangerous chauvinism among this group of youth and their political handlers.

Peering through a variety of images and videos, it appears many people marched in support of the victims, pleading for society and lawmakers to address the issue of school shootings, and rightfully so. With the help of the media, however, a louder, more political message consumed it. A narrative resembling and likely coached by a certain political affiliation grew louder, and many activists revealed themselves to be the paramilitary wing of the Democratic party, and not the spokespeople of victims and justice as they made themselves out to be.

Like all hashtag marches, the result never came to resemble its emotionally appealing moniker. They did not “march for their lives” in any way; they marched for sanctimony, power, and worse, statist solutions to societal problems, which always means the reduction of freedom for the sake of security. They also did it for a more insidious reason, namely, to blame someone else for a phenomenon that they and their peers are more guilty of.

Because if I was ignorant of the events that occurred on the tragic day 17 students were murdered in a Florida high-school, the march and the signs and the speeches would have left me with the impression that the NRA and the Republicans were somehow directly responsible for it. Doing his best impression of a CNN contributor, student David Hogg yelled to a complicit crowd, “to those politicians supported by the NRA that allow the continued slaughter of our children and our future, I say get your resumes ready”.

The deception that politicians such as Rubio and the NRA “have blood on their hands” is indeed bad faith and poor form, if not outright slander. But it is also a dangerous deflection. They risk inspiring action, while at the same time dismissing the root causes of school shootings, and the ones who really contributed to it. If one of these pliable nuts gets it in his head that someone other than the perpetrators of such crimes are the ones responsible (and given the media’s uncritical amplification of these voices, they already have), there is no telling what he might do.

But that is exactly what this kind of rhetoric is designed to do. If it is not to emotionally appeal to the solipsists among us for the sake of political campaigning, or to demonize certain sub-sections of the general population, it is to “dog-whistle” to the dangerous and mentally unstable to take action when these mostly affluent, mostly privileged creatures could only fantasize about it.

Of course, no, neither Rubio nor the NRA had any hand in any mass killing. In fact, comparing the NRA membership with the list of mass shooters would probably help to dispel any myths that say otherwise.

Then what, or whom, have the blood on their hands? According to the FBI’s School Shooter Reference Guide, 75% of school shooters felt bullied, persecuted, or threatened by others, and not by republican politicians or the NRA. 61% were motivated by a desire for revenge, assumably due to some perceived injustice committed by fellow students or administrators. Either way, in at least 80% of school shootings, someone other than the shooter had information that the shooter was thinking about committing such an attack, but obviously did nothing or not enough to act on the warning signs. This person was typically a friend or an acquaintance. Even so, such information might not have made a difference, considering that “most attacks were stopped by means other than law enforcement”. It appears that schools, the students, and law enforcement have more blood on their hands than anyone else.

At no point was the NRA or any Republican politician involved. But that didn’t stop our dear, young virtue-signallers for demonizing, slandering, and calling for a variety of sanctions on otherwise innocent citizens, because their scapegoat, unlike the school shooters themselves, is not one of them.

- LesMis
edit on 27-3-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I agree!

But a march for personal responsibility wouldn't get the numbers.

+16 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   
This actually reminds me of Hitler and his Brownshirts.

They are using our children against us.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I would say that there are elements in our public and in our leadership that want mass shootings. I believe that they (indirectly) promote and precipitate them through policy and misuse of laws.

Without mass shootings, they'd have no opportunity to "save us" and ban firearms.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I thought it was a good idea. Let the kids Vent. Let's have a discussion about Gun Violence and School Shootings.

Better this than Apathetic Teens that sit home and play video games all day with no social lives.

I don't feel guilty. LOL No one I know had their guns taken.

Virtue Signaling is a weird term. We all virtue signal all the time unless we live in a cave by ourselves.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
With all this attention being paid them looks like a nerve was hit big time.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
So many of those people marching on the backs of those dead kids for political gain. Its a national disgrace and thats how history should remember it.

Kids are more likely to win the lotto than get gunned down any given day in school, but almost 100% ensured to be used as political tools if they do. And its the MSM turning the shooters into celebrities driving the events to happen again, and again, and again, and again, and again. F that.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Virtue Signaling is a weird term. We all virtue signal all the time unless we live in a cave by ourselves.

That sounds like projection. It's a little clumsy, granted, but describes perfectly the phenomena we're dealing with here.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

There is no quicker way to get a response from me than to try to limit my freedom. When an organized group attempts to steal rights from their fellow citizens I see them as a threat.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

That sounds like projection. It's a little clumsy, granted, but describes perfectly the phenomena we're dealing with here.

I agree, it is a clumsy term. Every time we wear a T-shirt with a slogan we're virtue signalling. Every time we post on ATS we're signalling to each other our virtures and core principles. Every time we vote or rate a business, or tell others what political party or religion we are in etc etc. It's just such a weird term, only put out into the current language last year? Maybe 2 years. Very new term that doesn't mean anything. yet used to insult our "opposition". they Virtue signal, but I am virtuous. LOL

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: intrepid

There is no quicker way to get a response from me than to try to limit my freedom. When an organized group attempts to steal rights from their fellow citizens I see them as a threat.

And I realize that liberals especially are jumping on this March etc, but at its core it's the kids that are venting.

I think it's okay to vent. I never see that as a threat. I don't see some restrictions like better background checks as a threat to our weapons either. But I see that it could be a slippery slope.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

According to the urban dictionary, the phrase virtue signaling is ‘saying you love or hate something to show off what a virtuous person you are, instead of actually trying to fix the problem’

However, the March For Our Lives movement *is* actually trying to fix the problem. So it seems the phrase is inappropriate in this case.

edit on 991Tuesday000000America/ChicagoMar000000TuesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I agree, it is a clumsy term. Every time we wear a T-shirt with a slogan we're virtue signalling. Every time we post on ATS we're signalling to each other our virtures and core principles. Every time we vote or rate a business, or tell others what political party or religion we are in etc etc. It's just such a weird term, only put out into the current language last year? Maybe 2 years. Very new term that doesn't mean anything. yet used to insult our "opposition". they Virtue signal, but I am virtuous. LOL

That's not true. Virtue-signalling is pretending one is virtuous for the sake of personal gain and social advancement.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

However, the March For Our Lives movement *is* actually trying to fix the problem. So it seems the phrase is inappropriate in this case.

It's quite appropriate. Marching has absolutely zero effect beyond personal satisfaction and group catharsis.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
I thought it was a good idea. Let the kids Vent. Let's have a discussion about Gun Violence and School Shootings.

Better this than Apathetic Teens that sit home and play video games all day with no social lives.

I don't feel guilty. LOL No one I know had their guns taken.

But thats not what happened, there was no discussion , they shut everyone down who tried to have a discussion. Its the exact opposite of a discussion.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Shouldn't we respond when someone, child or no, screams that they want to either curtail, or do away, with a Constitutionally protected right?

You and I have disagreed on elements of this topic for, well, years. I doubt we'll really agree this time either. But who knows, one of us might convince the other.

Had it just been a memorial march to remember the slain, and perhaps ask how and why this is happening, they'd get a better response from people like myself.

But no, they in a not so round about way, accuse me, as an NRA member, of somehow being complicit. I don't live anywhere near Florida, nor am I so mentally deranged as to think shooting a bunch of my peers, for whatever reason, is a good thing.

So, yeah, it did touch a nerve. Won't deny that at all.
edit on 3/27/2018 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

They denied some students who wanted to march for the NRA.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

It is? What exactly did they accomplish, other than scream the same old tired "solutions"? I neither saw, nor heard, anything even remotely new that would solve anything.

So point out to me, perhaps I missed it, where they advocated anything that'll work.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

That's not true. Virtue-signalling is pretending one is virtuous for the sake of personal gain and social advancement.

And we all do that.

We all do it here. Don't think that ATS isn't a social group for us on here. We do our best to appear liberal, or conservative, or religious, or hard working or intelligent, or well read, or experienced in this or that, or knowledgable or part of some other group. With every post here, every one of us virtue signals to appear better to give us more social standing here on ATS

Then we do it on Facebook but in different ways. we post political memes so that we can belong to the group, we post family pics of our kids so that we appear to be family people, we post date night pics so that everyone knows we're good people. We virtue signal.

We get into political discussions and depending on what group we're in we virtue signal in different ways. if we're in a conservative group of people we virtue signal how much we hate Hillary too. If we're in a group of Liberals we virtue signal how stupid that last tweet of trumps was.

When the new star wars movie comes out we virtue signal with our cool retro star wars shirt.

We virtue signal all of the time every day in every way. So as to render that term useless.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join