It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making Youtube obsolete - Best way to for video to be hosted / provided for streaming!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   
First, there needs to be a forum in here where people can discuss technology ideas be they computer/internet related or hardware related (from computers, drones, 3D printing, anything bleeding edge or a shift in how things are done).

So, IMO Youtube needs replaced with a better system. This isn't difficult at all to beat the current antiquated system. Here is how I suggest it be done.

Video producers set up an account with a hosting service where they upload their video content. The videos can ve viewed from this host using the built in video playing app (along with phone/tablet apps) and they can also be distributed to other video hosting services that have popped up to compete with cable. The companies like Hulu (and whatever the other content providers are) then can add the video content if their users request the videos. The account holder can select the video providers where he wants his content to be available and he can negotiate the price (or it may be standard contract for pay per view, adding commercials, etc) he gets for allowing the company access for the content.

Let's say that Amazon wants to host videos that were once on YT. They could offer accounts (either a small fee or even free for original content providers) and allow them to upload content to their account where it can then be browsed by Amazon users. If the video producer has an account with another hosting service, he could contract with Amazon to show his video's, place adds where they want (as per their analytics) and then pay the producer for the use of the content. The video would probably be transferred from the producers hosting account to Amazon so it is served from the Amazon servers (is less expensive for them and they can render in different resolutions easier). The producer gets an account with amazon that tracks views and he gets a check from the company every week/month whenever.

If the producer decides to pull content from, say Amazon, the video's are no longer available on that service and the content is deleted from their servers as per contract (and a huge copyright fine would keep them honest).

Having a system like this would allow content producers to keep all of their material centrally located, select their own distribution channels, and maximize their content distribution to wherever they like. It gives a lot of control over their content and also removes a lot of the headaches of content creation for the streaming services.

There could also be a way to have all the comments from one video, being on many services, to all show up on each provider, so if you comment on Amazon, it also shows up on Hulu (if they host the videos).

This also allows for smaller startup companies equal and fair access to all video content on the net at equally competitive rates.

This is like a modular system that can be used to move content from one service to another with a few clicks, allowing for a single hosting service to provide the source material. If a video is edited/updated, they select an option within the hosting menu and it sends out a message to the streaming services that host the video to update it on their servers. All of this could be done very easily and it would CRUSH Youtube and Facebook for video hosting.

If this type of system were to be set up then it would allow specialty streaming services that cater to a specific industry, hobby, etc to host videos without fear of being censored by fascist corporations.

This is a multi billion dollar idea and if anyone wants to pursue this, PM me and I can help plan it out and even give some more indepth ideas that would make this a really killer idea, but it's a little complex to go into here. I'd be happy that there are more REAL options than just Youtube for video hosting.

In addition, there needs to be some kind of centralized, or even decentralized, search platform for all the videos available by content providers across all the hosting providers. This could be a search engine in itself. When a content provider uploads video, he can submit his channel to be searched/tagged and indexed. The producers name, writers name (and other relevent people) can be attached to each video, keywords, descriptions and much more.

A rating system could also be incorperated across all streaming platforms that can be aggrigated in the centralized search function, along with the comments, so ratings from all services are combined for a total rating across platforms. The ratings could also be used to factor in the "value" of the content to the streaming services and the amount they pay the provider for access to their content.

This all seems like a WIN WIN for the viewer, creator and the streaming service. The only ones who would be against this are those trying to censor people and the companies who have cornered the market like YouTube and FB.

Please let me know what you think and PM me if interested in making this happen!
edit on 3 27 2018 by DigginFoTroof because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
First, there needs to be a forum in here where people can discuss technology ideas be they computer/internet related or hardware related (from computers, drones, 3D printing, anything bleeding edge or a shift in how things are done).

So, IMO Youtube needs replaced with a better system. This isn't difficult at all to beat the current antiquated system. Here is how I suggest it be done.

Video producers set up an account with a hosting service where they upload their video content. The videos can ve viewed from this host using the built in video playing app (along with phone/tablet apps) and they can also be distributed to other video hosting services that have popped up to compete with cable. The companies like Hulu (and whatever the other content providers are) then can add the video content if their users request the videos. The account holder can select the video providers where he wants his content to be available and he can negotiate the price (or it may be standard contract for pay per view, adding commercials, etc) he gets for allowing the company access for the content.

Let's say that Amazon wants to host videos that were once on YT. They could offer accounts (either a small fee or even free for original content providers) and allow them to upload content to their account where it can then be browsed by Amazon users. If the video producer has an account with another hosting service, he could contract with Amazon to show his video's, place adds where they want (as per their analytics) and then pay the producer for the use of the content. The video would probably be transferred from the producers hosting account to Amazon so it is served from the Amazon servers (is less expensive for them and they can render in different resolutions easier). The producer gets an account with amazon that tracks views and he gets a check from the company every week/month whenever.

If the producer decides to pull content from, say Amazon, the video's are no longer available on that service and the content is deleted from their servers as per contract (and a huge copyright fine would keep them honest).

Having a system like this would allow content producers to keep all of their material centrally located, select their own distribution channels, and maximize their content distribution to wherever they like. It gives a lot of control over their content and also removes a lot of the headaches of content creation for the streaming services.

There could also be a way to have all the comments from one video, being on many services, to all show up on each provider, so if you comment on Amazon, it also shows up on Hulu (if they host the videos).

This also allows for smaller startup companies equal and fair access to all video content on the net at equally competitive rates.

This is like a modular system that can be used to move content from one service to another with a few clicks, allowing for a single hosting service to provide the source material. If a video is edited/updated, they select an option within the hosting menu and it sends out a message to the streaming services that host the video to update it on their servers. All of this could be done very easily and it would CRUSH Youtube and Facebook for video hosting.

If this type of system were to be set up then it would allow specialty streaming services that cater to a specific industry, hobby, etc to host videos without fear of being censored by fascist corporations.

This is a multi billion dollar idea and if anyone wants to pursue this, PM me and I can help plan it out and even give some more indepth ideas that would make this a really killer idea, but it's a little complex to go into here. I'd be happy that there are more REAL options than just Youtube for video hosting.

In addition, there needs to be some kind of centralized, or even decentralized, search platform for all the videos available by content providers across all the hosting providers. This could be a search engine in itself. When a content provider uploads video, he can submit his channel to be searched/tagged and indexed. The producers name, writers name (and other relevent people) can be attached to each video, keywords, descriptions and much more.

A rating system could also be incorperated across all streaming platforms that can be aggrigated in the centralized search function, along with the comments, so ratings from all services are combined for a total rating across platforms. The ratings could also be used to factor in the "value" of the content to the streaming services and the amount they pay the provider for access to their content.

This all seems like a WIN WIN for the viewer, creator and the streaming service. The only ones who would be against this are those trying to censor people and the companies who have cornered the market like YouTube and FB.

Please let me know what you think and PM me if interested in making this happen!

Do you have any idea what it takes to make this happen? There are plenty of video streaming/sharing/hosting sites out there, none of which can compete with YouTube hence it's popularity. Incorporating other services like Hulu and Amazon et al also isn't going to work. None of these services are cross platform, if they even wanted to do that they would do it with YouTube, and YouTube wouldn't have it's own premium streaming service. You want to start from absolutely nothing, no user base, no marketing, nothing -- and compete with YouTube/Google, Vimeo, Vevo Instagram, Facebook, and any other service out there? I'm not trying to crush your dreams, but the market for that is kind of locked up.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: imthegoat

No, you are 100% ill informed at either the technological aspects of how the streaming services work, how advertising works, and maybe how hosting works. This is an ABSOLUTELY achievable scenario in a 3-6 month time period to get something like this up and running.

This sevice could even be vertically integrated where hosting services for content providers is owned by the content providers themselves, like an investment into the company that hosts your videos, and $$ paid to this company to host (and disseminate the content to the steaming services) is used to expand the company and increase the value of the company that is owned, in part, by the content producers.

Advertising/commercial content can be maximized through various sources of analytics and the content provider can choose to provide access of his videos to 1 steaming service to ALL services who are interested in the content (could be 100 different sites).

The search for this videos would show what services have the video available, and they can then either join (or are a member), or maybe do a PPV option for that service (maybe some PPV options are included in a monthly service package for the streaming service). The videos could ALWAYS also be viewed DIRECTLY from the content creators own hosting site and not use any of the streaming services. There are so many options that are stand alone or can be mixed and matched to meed either content producers needs, to maximize the viewership, or to reach people of a certain demographic, interest, etc.

The point of this process is that it opens up SO MUCH freedom to the content producers to move their content with the click of a button. Nothing is ever locked up, it can seem that way, but it can change in a few weeks time to months or even a year. MANY large companies have gone from industry leaders to being relegated to the dustbin of history. THAT is where Youtube is right now, they have pissed off WAY to many people who would rather loose money and viewers (temporarily) so that they can hurt and eventually destroy YT's stranglehold on this market - FB is a close second in this stranglehold.

Those who don't want to see the paradigm shift that this idea can produce, well that's your problem and you will see something like this take shape over the next 6 - 60 months - I GAR-UN-TEE this.

For many that think a market is locked up, they usually aren't privy to what the possible options to what could be done to make a better service and with the change of technology from say 2001-2003( when YT started I think), there is totally new technology that is available to make this happen.

It is even possible to allow for home users with high speed internet to act as a "distribution hub" for some videos where they get credits from the streaming service for reducing loads on their services (for hosting content) and it can work much like torrents, where the video's are streamed from the hosting service to start, but also from the 30 other people who are viewing the video or have recently viewed it. It makes use of excess bandwidth for the home/business user and they can get credits from the streaming provider for the amount of data transferred instead of the streaming service having to provide ALL of the content.

While it may seem like an improbability, you may not be away of the millions of people who are SO mad at YT that they ahve deleted accounts (viewers) and content providers who have removed all their content. There is a movement growing and it is going to crush YT and FB in the next 1-5 years, or minimally reduce viewership of MEANINGFUL videos (not non-sense videos, though those can still be available in streaming services) as they migrate to streaming services that treat the well.

YT has engaged in acts that have been self detrimental on so many levels, so many times, that it is past the point of no return for many users.

There is a movement that is going to change this industry for the better and it is going to provide more options, more wealth for content providers, more options for viewers (both in videos and where they can view the videos).

It is coming, It is happening, and those who don't want to admit this have either not been effected yet or don't use the service as much as some (or are financially -or otherwise - vested in keeping the current paradigm).

Dismiss this at your own perril. Support or invest in this and be at the cutting edge of a revolution in the tech industry that will be the industry standard for at least 10 years, but I predict 20-30 (as it changes/upgrades with new technology).

Having MANY streamers, allows for them to be nimble and quick to adapt (and revert if change doesn't work) to test new ideas - those that are successful, others will follow. This is going to be the way things are done in the near future. This is coming from a guy who has been using Google since Jan of 1998 and Ebay since June of 1998 (and many other techs I spotted in Beta that are now industry leaders). Tech is my field and I have a "gift" in seeing what is the new wave - it a blessing and curse (as I predicted/designed the premise for FB in 2001 in my Comp Sci class in college as a hookup tool for students on campus after bars closed - to see who was still up and close by, just broke up with GF. lol. I posted an outline like this about the site that year in a Newsgroup alt.binaries.comp.discussion or something similar & then discussed it with a group of Frat/sorrority members in college of Biz & comp sci to try to build it but they didn't believe in it, loll).

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I'm not really having any problem with Youtube at this point in time. Perhaps check back in a couple of years though.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

No there's no way this could be up in that time. You clearly have a misconstrued view of what goes into developing a successful service. How do you know people even want it? You know you do, but until surveying you could be wasting your time and my time.

Planning and development, UI & UX development, pen testing, marketing campaigns?? Get real. PM you for details and brain storming? I suppose you want 50/50 too right? Where are your use cases? Where is the proposal to drag me from my salaried job? User acceptance work?

Who is going to forgo real employment who have mouths to feed to work on this half baked proposal?

From a senior developer & sys admin team lead

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Try BitChute.. It is working better now..

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Yep, I'm completely ignorant to how technology works and what it takes to get something like this up and running. Guess all that time I spent in college for network engineering was time wasted.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   

You should check out DTube.

d.tube...

Built upon the steem blockchain and using ipfs. Ad free because it earns steem.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: imthegoat
Yep, I'm completely ignorant to how technology works and what it takes to get something like this up and running. Guess all that time I spent in college for network engineering was time wasted.

Networking and even network engineering is only a fraction of what goes into a service like this. I'm not talking about one person programming a site like this and getting it up and running in 3-6 months.

the problem with so many people these days is that many professionals, who think they are professionals and "experts" in their field are sadly mistaken in their credentials. There are many people without that piece of paper who have much higher level of skills and can work circles around the "certified professionals". It's sad when I worked as a system and network admin and engineer to see some people who were a levels above me that seemed to have no clue as to what they were doing. It wasn't even the Peter principle at work, it was a few levels past that and I think that is why we have such sub par services in so many sectors compared to what they COULD be.

Too many "professionals" thinking they know best because they are "professionals". Just like how many people's ideas were/are dismissed because they didn't have a college degree or more recently the proper IT cert. , Zuckerberg, Assange, Evan Williams (Twitter founder) , Larry Ellison (Oracle) , Travis Kalanick (Uber founder), Snowden, Oprah, Michael Dell (Dell Computers), John Mackey (whole foods), Ellon Musk (Paypal, Tesla, etc), Sean Parker (Napster), Steve Jobs & Wozniak (Apple co-founder) and those two guys from Redmond - Gates & Allen. The list could include about 40+ more HIGHLY successful dropouts, non-attendee's and people without certs. Credentialed people would have looked down on these people before they were successful (in most cases) but that paper only gives a false sense of accomplishment and a false security in their skills.

If you think a system like this couldn't be created in 3 months by a small team of SKILLED developers, then I'm afraid that you may have fallen prey to the mindset and timelines of the modern corporate world. I think the original Google search engine was created in a few weeks and online in a couple months (already refined enough to be the best search engine on the net!) with only 2 programmers working in between classes.

I apologize if I have mis-diagnosed your stance and or skills but can only go on what I have experienced within industry and in large corporations. It may not be a polished, final production service platform in that time period (3-6 months), but it could be enough to get people to start migration and setup accounts and prepare for the rollout to streaming services without a doubt.

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

I simply got sick of YT and other site deleting all the good videos.

LEEKwire is an open source script a buddy of mine hosts because he got tired of the same thing.

check it out if you want an independent open source alternative with ZERO ADS.

all the normal YT features, video embedding, link sharing, HTTPS, the works.

LEEKwire.com Uncensored Video Hosting

posted on May, 10 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
The only reason a producer puts content on any platform is to get viewers.
Why put your work on a system that nobody cares about.

top topics

join