It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The First woman....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: Nyiah

To me, it’s important when you consider the history of women. It wasn’t really all that long ago when women weren’t allowed to go to college or vote or run a business or participate in any industry dominated by men (and most industries were dominated by men).

Every time a barrier is broken, I think it’s great to note it. After that, it doesn’t matter anymore. When the first women became CEO’s of large corporations, it was a big deal - now it’s not anymore, so no one says “ 34th woman to become CEO”.

When we get our first woman president, I will think it’s a pretty big deal after 200+ years of only male presidents. But after that first woman, it won’t be a big deal anymore and not worth noting for the subsequent women presidents.

Celebrate & acknowledge the individual monumental accomplishments such as what Marie Curie brought chemistry, not that she was a woman doing it.

I guess I can’t understand why we can’t do both. Celebrate her individual accomplishments and acknowledge that she was the first woman to do it. I guess I come from a history buff’s perspective. I like to know if someone was the first black person to do something, or the first American to do something, or the first woman to do something, or the first disabled person to do something...

Some folks have never had to overcome barriers to succeed. Those that have will appreciate others who do...

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

To me, it’s important when you consider the history of women. It wasn’t really all that long ago when women weren’t allowed to go to college or vote or run a business or participate in any industry dominated by men (and most industries were dominated by men).

Every time a barrier is broken, I think it’s great to note it. After that, it doesn’t matter anymore. When the first women became CEO’s of large corporations, it was a big deal - now it’s not anymore, so no one says “ 34th woman to become CEO”.

When we get our first woman president, I will think it’s a pretty big deal after 200+ years of only male presidents. But after that first woman, it won’t be a big deal anymore and not worth noting for the subsequent women presidents.

Celebrate & acknowledge the individual monumental accomplishments such as what Marie Curie brought chemistry, not that she was a woman doing it.

I guess I can’t understand why we can’t do both. Celebrate her individual accomplishments and acknowledge that she was the first woman to do it. I guess I come from a history buff’s perspective. I like to know if someone was the first black person to do something, or the first American to do something, or the first woman to do something, or the first disabled person to do something...

Some folks have never had to overcome barriers to succeed. Those that have will appreciate others who do...

I also just find it interesting historically. Queen Elizabeth I was not actually the first woman to rule England, Mary Tudor was, but Elizabeth was the first woman to rule England for a lifetime. (Mary only ruled for 5 years, and she was a nutbag). Elizabeth didn’t do anything special to become queen, she just inherited the role, however she gets kudos from me for holding her own surrounded by a bunch of men who were used to being superior to women. Gotta give her some credit for being a strong woman ruler in a male-dominated world.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Do you guys think we'll ever see the first woman to do something notable first?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

Well, at this point, what would be notable anymore for women alone? Firsts from here out are Human-centric, not gender. First person to set foot on Mars, first person to be born elsewhere in the solar system, first person to enter another star system, first person to pilot an FTL ship or probe, etc etc.

It's so banal to me. I see Kayla's hung up on it, and it's not about fighting for anything and recognizing it. We're way past that turning point. We're on the precipice of major scientific & general life advancements at breakneck speed, and the best we can do is cling to gender segregated acknowledgements?
How ass backward.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

Well, at this point, what would be notable anymore for women alone? Firsts from here out are Human-centric, not gender. First person to set foot on Mars, first person to be born elsewhere in the solar system, first person to enter another star system, first person to pilot an FTL ship or probe, etc etc.

It's so banal to me. I see Kayla's hung up on it, and it's not about fighting for anything and recognizing it. We're way past that turning point. We're on the precipice of major scientific & general life advancements at breakneck speed, and the best we can do is cling to gender segregated acknowledgements?
How ass backward.

Well, we’re not way past it, when we still have male dominated areas. I agree, when we get to the point of doing things that no human has done before, the gender won’t matter. I look forward to the time when there is no male or female dominated field. We’re not quite there yet, but getting there.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I look forward to the time when there is no male or female dominated field. We’re not quite there yet, but getting there.

How do you propose we get to a 50/50 split in all sectors of every industry?

I agree, when we get to the point of doing things that no human has done before, the gender won’t matter.

Why does it matter so much to you?

We obviously have done things that we haven't done before, and continue to do so.

Individually and societally.
edit on 27-3-2018 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

it's always such a relief to see you in a thread like this and know there will be at least one sensible response

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It shouldn't matter. The "first" has to use motivators that already exist, and obviously they work just fine.

The motivators that already exist are certainly being used, it's the (whether self-imposed, societal, cultural, legal, etc) limitations that one must overcome or transcend to become the first, and which is why the "first" is so significant.

That's the point.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

Who’s talking about riding anyone’s coattails?

Let’s substitute kid for woman. The first kid under the age of 12 who gets a Nobel prize is going to be noted as such. Does it matter? Well, sure, it’s worthy to note such an accomplishment. The next time a kid under the age of 12 gets a Nobel prize, it doesn’t mean they didn’t do the work to get it - but they won’t be the first, so it won’t be as big a deal, and so on with the 3rd, 4th or 54th time a kid gets a Nobel prize. All of them still have to do the work to get it.

A kid covers either gender, so its of note because its a kid. And honestly, it is a big deal when you hear about a child prodigy.

I speak of prodigies because Obama got an affirmative action peace prize, and later went on to use drones a great deal.

I really don't think the first female Thunderbird is worthy of note per se, when compared to other feats women have accomplished. You sit in a cockpit and gain flight hours flying sorties etc. You're supposed to be a fairly good pilot (or "unique" from what I've heard) to get in.

I will say good for her. Not because shes a women, but because many pilots don't make it.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: DogStarIn1066
Had a black belt at 14.

yeah those good ole 14 year old black belts

tkd or karate

had to be

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I am curious... do you have a problem with female dominated fields?

The thought of having equal amounts of men and women in a career field is not reasonable or realistic, some things men are typically better at, just like some things women are typically better at.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Nursing was always a female dominated field - but that was because historically women couldn't be doctors. I don't think women are any better at it. There are a lot of male nurses now, and I think that's great. Same thing with flight attendants, executive assistants, etc.

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
To many jokes to go with a women who is so fast she brakes the sound barrier .
Frankly I do believe any human would just loved to fly thous jets .

Lucky her .

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

If we are being honest women typically are more in touch with empathy, just like on the flip side guys are better suited for hard physical activity. (yes there are exceptions I worked with several in the Air Force fixing planes)

I know some of the sciences (while yes there is resistance to women members) are better suited towards the way a guys brain is wired vs a woman's, and in some cases a woman's brain is better wired for a particular science.

Every time there is a separation in a career field is not always because of discrimination of some sort.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join