It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Times wilfully ignorant

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: DogStarIn1066

But their gunz make them feel all safe and warm.

I really wish that were the case, would've saved us the cost of moving a thousand miles away but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Go see for yourself, I dare you to live in my hometown of Gary, IN. With or without a firearm see how safe and warm you feel. Go ahead send your child to a Gary school, if there's any left.

My high school closed years ago, no school shootings gonna happen there. That's what happens when criminals with guns are allowed to rule. Good people with guns don't wage war they just take their families/legal guns and move somewhere safer.

I know it's hard for some to believe but legal gun owners do not want to use their weapons against another human being. Just because it's done willy-nilly in movies, killing people isn't an easy thing to do. I was just as fearful about shooting someone as I was over getting shot myself.

My dad drilled it into me I either stood my ground, defend myself or die, it's as simple as that. No warm/fuzzy feelings about it, nothing but sadness and trauma living in a war zone. Nothing short of a nuke would've made me feel safe/warm in Gary. Go ahead see for yourself. Put yourself in my dad's position, he had to raise me in a tough place. I was safe at home/school because of guns. We had real cops with guns patrolling our hallways.

Now I'm in rural CO and my "gunz" don't make me feel safe and warm my community does. My firearms are a tool to protect me from aberrant behavior. It's not paranoia when it's a proven fact, some crazy people like to kill for no good reason. Do something about mental illness because it's the sick brain behind the trigger, knife etc. that's the real threat/ deadly weapon.
edit on 3-27-2018 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: network dude
www.nytimes.com...

The writing below the above picture:

A rifle from the 18th century, when the Second Amendment was written, and an assault rifle of today. Credit Top, MPI, via Getty Images, bottom, Joe Raedle/Getty Images .

Here is my first "Assault Rifle" I purchased"

Sure it's only a .22LR, but the lead is the same size as the scary Black rifle above, and it shoots the same way, "semi automatic", it even has multiple rounds. I can buy Ruger's version of the same rifle and get a 100 shot magazine for it.

But the big picture is at this point in the discussion, there just is no excuse for calling a semi-automatic weapon an 'assault weapon'. there is enough information available, people have explained this over and over again. It's pushing an agenda at best, being stupid like a sack of hammers, at worst.

This:

Is and M249 also known as a SAW. It is fully automatic, and is in fact an assault weapon. It is used by our military to use in forward assaults.
Ignorance at this point can't be blamed on anything other than lack of intelligence.

perhaps those participating should actually read what they are participating in

fwiw i agree with the retired justice
crap or get off the pot
there is a system to remedy what dems want to do, i fully hope they campaign on this and try to implement it

link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Irishhaf

I'd say its the modability of the gun. The fact that you can add or remove parts like hand grips, pistol grips, tactical sights, tactical flashlights. Now that I've said this, someone is going to point out the M1 and how you can just modify it to be an M16 like I wouldn't know this fact, but I don't see too many people converting their M16's into old fashioned wood stock M1's. Its more the other way around.

Also, you don't really need all those tactical adaptions to go hunting. Sure they can't hurt to have them, but I see it more like taking a bazooka to go deer hunting. It's overkill. If you can't drop your target with a single shot from a bolt action rifle then you need some practice on your aim. Most hunters sit in a tree stand and wait for their prey to pass anyways. But on the other hand, those adaptations sure do make it easier to operate the gun in a chaotic situation such as a firefight.

That's just the way I see things. I really don't even want to totally ban assault rifles anyways. They look cool as # and are fun to shoot for target practice. I just want more comprehensive background checks on purchases, possibly a national database tracking serial numbers, and mandatory certification classes for gun training and storage for all buyers of guns that has to be maintained and updated. Is this going to stop all gun crime? Nope, but at least its a start instead of pretending like all these shootings are just the sacrifice that is necessary to have a gun culture.

Sound very reasonable.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

oh i thought it was who was calling to repeal the second???

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Agree with you

I get lumped in with the lemmings on Twitter and a #in geezer with an opinion

Yeah because you didn't just say on the previous page that nobody was saying repeal the 2nd. Oh wait, yes you did.
edit on 27 3 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

My Mossberg 500 is modable. I have a bright as # light on it. Ban those too?

If you are going to use a firearm for defense, why the heck are you putting a light on it?

Yeah, you see that a lot in Ranger gear.

By the way, I have 2 500's, and they are terrific.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
www.kmov.com...

This guy did.

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: shooterbrody

repealing the 2nd is not reasonable gun control measures
adding security to schools is

Who said anything about repealing the 2nd?[/q

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Morningglory

Good for you
However it is my OPINION that some people do feel safe and warm cause their gunz.
It is also my OPINION that there are some people out there that want # to pop off so they can ratchet up and use those gunz to go all militia on people.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DogStarIn1066

My Mossberg 500 is modable. I have a bright as # light on it. Ban those too?

If you are going to use a firearm for defense, why the heck are you putting a light on it?

Yeah, you see that a lot in Ranger gear.

By the way, I have 2 500's, and they are terrific.

Where I live, sometimes it's night.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Agree with you

Yeah because you didn't just say on the previous page that nobody was saying repeal the 2nd. Oh wait, yes you did.

I'm meant in this thread where I am having a conversation.
That # was posted after my comment.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Agree with you

I'm meant in this thread where I am having a conversation.
That # was posted after my comment.

Then I'll speak no more of it. Just be aware there are lots of people who want to repeal the 2nd.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Of course.
And there are lots of people that think we should be able to own #ing rocket launchers.
There are people that like to get # on and bang midgets.
If it can be an opinion or a thought someone has it

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

these "marches" are getting out of control...

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Of course.
And there are lots of people that think we should be able to own #ing rocket launchers.
There are people that like to get # on and bang midgets.
If it can be an opinion or a thought someone has it

Sure, but I've never seen any data quantifying how many people are that extreme on the 2nd meaning they should be able to own anything. On the other hand, there is data about how many think it should be repealed altogether, and it's a lot more than I thought.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   
If they are going to take guns from citizens I want politicians and celebrities to not have armed security, seems fair right?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: network dude

these "marches" are getting out of control...

What's the over/under on how long it takes CNN to cover this?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

is that her penguin cosplay outfit?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   

That’s britney Spears from years ago...

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: DogStarIn1066

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
a reply to: DogStarIn1066

Alright then the kids should start fighting against obesity and deaths caused by don't text and driving as well. That kills way more people in the US daily then any mass shooting event and the numbers are on the rise. Repeal the Second Amendment is trending so i guess they are after all your guns. I'm not an american but i support the right to bear arms. Repealing the Second Amendment creates a precedence and who really believes it just stops there.

Good points.

Kids are doing things about the questions you posed. One thing at a time.

I put a ballistic pad in my 15 year old sons back pack, and told him if the shooting starts to run.

This is horrible. My son goes to shcool with more armor on Then I wore into battle during the first gulf war. Are you not seeing that this is maddness?

Just telling him to run is not wise. Running can you killed, depending on the circumstances. In an active shooter situation, you try to get out if you can. If there's no clear path you shelter in place. Barricade doors and windows if you can, put as many walls and other barriers between you and the shooter as you can and get out of sight. Attack as a last resort.

What's madness is that it's perfectly okay to have strong security measures in a bunch of other places we take our kids like banks, airports etc, but somehow having it in schools is considered madness.

I did a shelter in place exercise on Friday at a Baltimore federal office. Run, hide, fight, in that order. I was the OEO officer for the building.

Run is best. My kid is on the track team, and last week took 1st in the 100. I am telling him to run. My advice as his dad. Tell your own kids what to do, and I really hope it works out.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the kid is fast, and if shooting starts, out istance between yourself untill you are out of sight. Can't hit what you can't see.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: drock905

That’s britney Spears from years ago...

The barefoot in the gas station bathroom days.
Popozao

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join