It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Times wilfully ignorant

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

sorry to confuse.. it's actually a famous photo of Britney Spears going crazy (after she shaved her head and went coo coo for a bit)

In this crazy environment right now, I don't know what to expect next. I'm really doubtful the authorities are going to be "coming for the guns", BUT there will very likely be some major changes in regulations

My home state is in the process of outlawing "high capacity magazines" (over 10 rounds), bump stocks, and a few other things, I forget what they were. But this is a very small state (population around 600,000), and in larger states the laws may be even stricter

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: DogStarIn1066

originally posted by: Perfectenemy
a reply to: DogStarIn1066

Alright then the kids should start fighting against obesity and deaths caused by don't text and driving as well. That kills way more people in the US daily then any mass shooting event and the numbers are on the rise. Repeal the Second Amendment is trending so i guess they are after all your guns. I'm not an american but i support the right to bear arms. Repealing the Second Amendment creates a precedence and who really believes it just stops there.

Good points.

Kids are doing things about the questions you posed. One thing at a time.

I put a ballistic pad in my 15 year old sons back pack, and told him if the shooting starts to run.

This is horrible. My son goes to shcool with more armor on Then I wore into battle during the first gulf war. Are you not seeing that this is maddness?

It is madness because the odds of a school shooting happening at your son's school are less than winning the Powerball lotto. I guess you pack a parachute every time you a fly in a plane? Put on a fire suit when you get in your car?

I have worn a chute on a plane. Back at Ft Benning.

I also have a Nomex suit from when I used to race.

And now I have a son with armor in his backpack.

What's in your kids backpack?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Intent to commit murder is the problem, not the tools murderers use. Deprrve them of firearms, they will wait outside the school for children to gather and run them down with a truck. Or poison the food in the cafeteria, start a fire, whatever.

Murder, regardless of number of death is the problem, not their weapon of choice.

Maybe you haven't been paying attention to the mass murder in Europe by truck. Over there, they have the strictest gun control laws.
edit on 27-3-2018 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

Alright then the kids should start fighting against obesity and deaths caused by don't text and driving as well. That kills way more people in the US daily then any mass shooting event and the numbers are on the rise. Repeal the Second Amendment is trending so i guess they are after all your guns. I'm not an american but i support the right to bear arms. Repealing the Second Amendment creates a precedence and who really believes it just stops there.

Good points.

I put a ballistic pad in my 15 year old sons back pack, and told him if the shooting starts to run.

This is horrible. My son goes to shcool with more armor on Then I wore into battle during the first gulf war. Are you not seeing that this is maddness?

Just telling him to run is not wise. Running can you killed, depending on the circumstances. In an active shooter situation, you try to get out if you can. If there's no clear path you shelter in place. Barricade doors and windows if you can, put as many walls and other barriers between you and the shooter as you can and get out of sight. Attack as a last resort.

What's madness is that it's perfectly okay to have strong security measures in a bunch of other places we take our kids like banks, airports etc, but somehow having it in schools is considered madness.

I did a shelter in place exercise on Friday at a Baltimore federal office. Run, hide, fight, in that order. I was the OEO officer for the building.

Run is best. My kid is on the track team, and last week took 1st in the 100. I am telling him to run. My advice as his dad. Tell your own kids what to do, and I really hope it works out.

Not trying to be argumentative, but the kid is fast, and if shooting starts, out istance between yourself untill you are out of sight. Can't hit what you can't see.

Run is best, that's why it's first. Of course the most effective defense would be to get so far away you can't be shot. I was just pointing out that in some instances that's not practical, which is why they teach run, hide, fight not just run. He may be fast, but he's not faster than a bullet. Why would you even bring up how fast he is?

He'd be better served if you teach him the other 2 parts, the difference in different scenarios and when each one would be best. If you've been through the drills, you should understand why.
edit on 27 3 18 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: Morningglory

Good for you
However it is my OPINION that some people do feel safe and warm cause their gunz.
It is also my OPINION that there are some people out there that want # to pop off so they can ratchet up and use those gunz to go all militia on people.

I respect your opinion but consider this fact, anyone who wants to ratchet things up, go all militia on innocent people is mentally ill.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
Sure guns used to mean cannon I believe? In Britain I think that's still the distinction.

At the same time, that's semantics. In common societal discourse guns means firearms.
a reply to: Gothmog

Uhh...no.

Sorry , let me expand on that.
The concept that I stated comes from US Military Basic Training and the DI having fun with soldiers that called their weapon a gun way back in my day when the DI didnt have to be as wishy-washy as today.
You didn't answer my question on the difference. As I said, i read a British article saying what I just said. It may differ here.

www.gunsandammo.com...

link   

originally posted by: drock905

That’s britney Spears from years ago...

My bad. I immediately thought of this, so I found the picture believable.

link   
a reply to: network dude

They're doing pretty well for themselves I'd say.

Now "repealthe2nd" is trending on Twitter

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

But their gunz make them feel all safe and warm.

Aww, do you have to pretend the gun owners are all pussies to make yourself feel better?

That's pathetic.

I am 55, and have made it to this age without ever needing a firearm to defend myself in the United States.

So yes, if you need a gun here you might want to put on a pink pussy hat, and March around Washington.

Anything you've never experienced doesn't happen enough for people to be justified in protecting themselves against?

When you have to resort to pretending people who don't agree with you are pussies, you're running out of facts.

I believe you asked the leading question, I just responded in an honest manner. You asked if you should be called a pussy, right?

I still stand by the statement.

You don't need a firearm to stay safe. Common sense, be alert, and you will be fine.

Or there is always the pink hat...

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
That's a straw man, obviously. Again, the whole point is to have some capacity to fight back or defend yourself in the case of tyranny. It's not "bombing buildings and shooting up schools.

At the point tyranny comes, your vote and voice may be gone. Or set you up to be attacked, at which point if you don't have a weapon then you are done.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So apparently you think that every local government in the country has unlimited funds to implement draconian security measures in schools because you are scared of events that happen to less than 1% of the schools in the country.

you want to take away guns for the same events that happen to less than 1%
who is really the hypocrite?

you advocate it is better to take away rights than spend money on security

good day gun grabber

How many times does this guy have to tell you he does not want your guns?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

But the big picture is at this point in the discussion, there just is no excuse for calling a semi-automatic weapon an 'assault weapon'. there is enough information available, people have explained this over and over again. It's pushing an agenda at best, being stupid like a sack of hammers, at worst.

Seems like you should be angry at the people who originally labeled guns like the AR an "assault weapon". Namely the gun companies who used it as a marketing ploy to sell more of them to wannabe soldiers.

But it's the democrats. Or something like that.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Good points.

It is madness because the odds of a school shooting happening at your son's school are less than winning the Powerball lotto. I guess you pack a parachute every time you a fly in a plane? Put on a fire suit when you get in your car?

I have worn a chute on a plane. Back at Ft Benning.

I also have a Nomex suit from when I used to race.

And now I have a son with armor in his backpack.

What's in your kids backpack?

Books...

The point is you don't need to put on your fire suit when you drive to the grocery store because the odds of your car exploding in a ball of fire are pretty slim. However, you don't apply the same logic and thought process to your kid putting a plate of ballistics in his backpack when statistically school shootings are exceedingly rare.

My point is you are demonstrating you've fallen hook, line and sinker to media propaganda and you admit by your own actions.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

But the big picture is at this point in the discussion, there just is no excuse for calling a semi-automatic weapon an 'assault weapon'. there is enough information available, people have explained this over and over again. It's pushing an agenda at best, being stupid like a sack of hammers, at worst.

Seems like you should be angry at the people who originally labeled guns like the AR an "assault weapon". Namely the gun companies who used it as a marketing ploy to sell more of them to wannabe soldiers.

Actually it was Nazi Germany when they made the StG 44, also known as the 'Sturmgewehr' ... which was used by actual troops on real battlefields

source

But I agree, that it is a useful tool in propaganda
without a doubt
edit on 27-3-2018 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

So surveys mean something and are credible again?

Oh that's right. When they support your beliefs then yes. If they go against your beliefs they're meaningless fake news bull#.

I remember now

Perhaps you could cite somewhere I said surveys aren't credible?

Nah, you just had to make that up because you can't refute what I posted.

Yes, people do want to repeal the 2nd, and it's not just one or two far left wackos. You're now informed. You can choose to accept that information, or you can be willfully ignorant. I have a hunch which one you'll choose.

It is a free country. We, as citizens, can review our laws at any time. Or are you suggesting that amendments are beyond review, or even discussion?

Humm, so prohibition should still be in effect?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

originally posted by: underwerks

Actually it was Nazi Germany when they made the 'Sturmgewehr' ... source

I want one! It's like an earlier version of the AK.

The Nazis may have invented the term, but a lot of gun companies have made a fortune using it.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morningglory

I really wish that were the case, would've saved us the cost of moving a thousand miles away but it couldn't be further from the truth.

Go see for yourself, I dare you to live in my hometown of Gary, IN. With or without a firearm see how safe and warm you feel. Go ahead send your child to a Gary school, if there's any left.

My high school closed years ago, no school shootings gonna happen there. That's what happens when criminals with guns are allowed to rule. Good people with guns don't wage war they just take their families/legal guns and move somewhere safer.

I know it's hard for some to believe but legal gun owners do not want to use their weapons against another human being. Just because it's done willy-nilly in movies, killing people isn't an easy thing to do. I was just as fearful about shooting someone as I was over getting shot myself.

My dad drilled it into me I either stood my ground, defend myself or die, it's as simple as that. No warm/fuzzy feelings about it, nothing but sadness and trauma living in a war zone. Nothing short of a nuke would've made me feel safe/warm in Gary. Go ahead see for yourself. Put yourself in my dad's position, he had to raise me in a tough place. I was safe at home/school because of guns. We had real cops with guns patrolling our hallways.

Now I'm in rural CO and my "gunz" don't make me feel safe and warm my community does. My firearms are a tool to protect me from aberrant behavior. It's not paranoia when it's a proven fact, some crazy people like to kill for no good reason. Do something about mental illness because it's the sick brain behind the trigger, knife etc. that's the real threat/ deadly weapon.

And I pretty much agree with you.

There are places in the US that are less safe then we would like.

You seem to be honestly stating a reason that you would feel safer with a fire arm, so I am all for it.

But...

I don't think you are talking about a high capacity military rifle, or are you?

I think you might mean a hand gun, or maybe a shotgun in the front closet?

I don't want to put words in your mouth.

Sorry that you had trouble, and sounds like your dad was an ok guy.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

My Mossberg 500 is modable. I have a bright as # light on it. Ban those too?

If you are going to use a firearm for defense, why the heck are you putting a light on it?

Yeah, you see that a lot in Ranger gear.

By the way, I have 2 500's, and they are terrific.

Where I live, sometimes it's night.

Ok, fair enough.

Talk to anyone who has been in combat about putting a light (hey shoot over here) on their weapon.

But it was a funny response.

I do know that coon hunters and hog hunters use lights.

However not for defense, unless you are shooting at unarmed people.
edit on 27-3-2018 by DogStarIn1066 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Aww, do you have to pretend the gun owners are all pussies to make yourself feel better?

That's pathetic.

I am 55, and have made it to this age without ever needing a firearm to defend myself in the United States.

So yes, if you need a gun here you might want to put on a pink pussy hat, and March around Washington.

Anything you've never experienced doesn't happen enough for people to be justified in protecting themselves against?

When you have to resort to pretending people who don't agree with you are pussies, you're running out of facts.

I believe you asked the leading question, I just responded in an honest manner. You asked if you should be called a pussy, right?

I still stand by the statement.

You don't need a firearm to stay safe. Common sense, be alert, and you will be fine.

Or there is always the pink hat...

Too bad that's not the real world. There are tens of thousands violent crimes in the US every year. Do you actually believe all of them would be prevented if the victims had more common sense and were more alert? Criminals would just cease to want to commit violent crime?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

My Mossberg 500 is modable. I have a bright as # light on it. Ban those too?

If you are going to use a firearm for defense, why the heck are you putting a light on it?

Yeah, you see that a lot in Ranger gear.

By the way, I have 2 500's, and they are terrific.

Where I live, sometimes it's night.

Ok, fair enough.

Talk to anyone who has been in combat about putting a light (hey shoot over here) on their weapon.

But it was a funny response.

I do know that coin hunters and hog hunters use lights.

However not for defense, unless you are shooting at unarmed people.

Yeah if you intend to walk around with it on the entire time, you'd have a point. I don't. Talk to anyone that's taken a home defense tactical course.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join