It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who here is for banning and burning books?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: DBCowboy

Books don’t have bullets that rip into your flesh and splatter your brain against a wall.

I'd rather stare into the eyes of a 2nd Amendment zealot pointing an AR in my face than a zealot pointing a copy of the Koran at me... FACT. Your bleeding heart is making a mess on the entryway rug, Kayla.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

According to the wise OP, guns and books are exactly the same. If we don’t want to ban books, we don’t want to ban guns. That means, we let mentally ill people have books, so we should let mentally ill people have guns. Because, books = guns.

It all makes sense to me now.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

According to the wise OP, guns and books are exactly the same. If we don’t want to ban books, we don’t want to ban guns. That means, we let mentally ill people have books, so we should let mentally ill people have guns. Because, books = guns.

So you don't think rights are all the same.

Hmmpf.

My shocked face. . . .

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Not even close. Books are just ideas and thoughts made observable to others. The 2nd amendment was bestowed upon us by man and it's not a Devine right. Rights given to us by man can be contested. Im all for more control. Make a threat with a reference to guns online or in person, boom. You lost your gun rights for life. On psyche meds? No gun rights for you. Cant risk it. Rights from god, or godess or the great man bear pig in the sky are fixed and non negotiable. the 2nd amendment is to a small degree. I get both sides and their arguments. I say stand up for what you believe in, but most people are unwilling to change their minds, so good luck. Im all for everything the constitution demands. But it was written by man. I think it's the best standard of rights ever written, but it'll never be 100% perfect, like everything else. It's an infinite tug of war, this democracy thing. And that's a good thing. Ramble on starhooker.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Ansuzrune

Look up merkin, then re read. Edumakate yoself. Not many are enlightened to the wonders of the merkin so I won't be all judgy n stuff.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Ansuzrune

Look up merkin, then re read. Edumakate yoself. Not many are enlightened to the wonders of the merkin so I won't be all judgy n stuff.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

What are you talking about? I just said, books = guns.

If a mentally ill person with violent tendencies wants to read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, who are we to withhold it from him? If that same mentally ill person with violent tendencies wants an AR 15, who are we to withhold it from him? His right to read a book is exactly the same as his right to a gun.

I see the light.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Crap, I probably shouldn't be drinking while on the pain pills. Keep pulling for your side everyone. Sisyphus would be proud.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Wot if your retard wants to read the Anarchist Cookbook?

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Who would be? I read what I want, ignore the rest. You want to read it knock yourself out.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

We let the loons have the vote, which impacts far, far more people than any mass shooting ever has...

Look, I've known "crazy" people who owned a lot of firepower. Amazingly, they killed nobody to my knowledge.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

If true, then the OP is based on a false equivalence. What you describe is not happening here.

Books are still being banned in the US.

Do you have examples of books the US government has banned in the US? As of now, I can own any book I so choose.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   

The Cruz shooter had every right to his gun. So did Adam Lanza, Jared Loughner, James Holmes, etc., etc.

If we let them have books, we gotta let them have guns.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Guns are the final enforcer of law. Laws that are on the books..Take that however you want.
edit on 27-3-2018 by Starhooker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

It may be a toss up. As the first two cause people to pick up the third. With somewhat predictable results.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

If true, then the OP is based on a false equivalence. What you describe is not happening here.

Do you have examples of books the US government has banned in the US? As of now, I can own any book I so choose.

Not since 1971 (by the government.) By libraries and schools, yes. But I looked it up. The list is interesting

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

I can give you examples of books banned or attempted to be banned in the United States, as I argued. As for books banned by the government, as per your goal-post widening, I'm not aware that there are any.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Not since the early 60's, I think, has the federal govt. outright banned a book. Various localities have, and school districts also have done.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Having read the entire series and even thoroughly enjoying it at the time, looking back in retrospect I should've instead burned it to the ground. For reasons that are still unclear to me. I think I was offended.. but I also ended up watching the movie, so I dunno..

#TeamEdward

Oh c'mon, you should be thanking the author. If it weren't for her, who else would be out there telling our 16 year-olds that their crushes and relationships are totally valid and real and that if they fall in love with a boy in their 5th period science class that they should give him their innocence and welcome death itself even sell their souls to the pits of hell and commit to being a soulless bloodthirsty monster for all eternity if it means even a chance of keeping that boy because that won't even compare to their thirst for him. It will never diminish and of course that's a real life lesson, nobody ever likes a boy at 16 they aren't still totally into come 60.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Not since the early 60's, I think, has the federal govt. outright banned a book. Various localities have, and school districts also have done.

Libraries, churches and various interest groups aim to ban books or advocate banning books as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join