It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell Wants Hemp Removed From Controlled Substance List

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Looks like Mitch is kissing a$$ for his constituents. McConnell wants to "introduce legislation to legalize the crop (hemp) as an agricultural commodity" because his home state, Kentucky, "has been at the forefront of hemp's comeback." Nothing wrong with people making money from growing hemp, which is used for clothing, mulch, hemp milk, cooking oil, soap, lotions, building materials, animal bedding and biofuels. I'm all for farmers and ex-tobacco farmers switching to hemp crops to make more money. However, if the DOJ approves this, why not it's "evil" twin, marijuana as well? Hemp and marijuana are from the same cannabis plant family, the only difference being hemp has no psychoactive properties. Weed has been proven by many studies to have effective medicinal properties. People suffering from epilepsy, Parkinson's Disease, PTSD, chronic pain and those suffering from the nasty side effects of chemo have benefited from THC oil and weed. The only marijuana currently approved at the Federal level for medical use is Marinol, a synthetic form, that pharmaceutical manufacturers make. Matter of fact, the pharmaceutical industry have been pushing to keep marijuana a Schedule I drug, so that they can line their greedy pockets.

I believe weed is no more dangerous than tobacco, or alcohol. We have some states that have made it legal to use, possess and grow, yet our attorney general, Jeff Sessions, believes it should remain in Schedule I of the CSA, because he thinks marijuana is "only slightly less awful" than heroin. Give me a break. The DOJ will probably approve making hemp legal, so farmers can make money, but will probably keep weed illegal, because thay want to protect big pharma's best interests. Afterall, big pharma's lobbyists come to Washington with their pockets full of $$$$$$$$.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told hemp advocates in his home state of Kentucky that he will introduce legislation to legalize the crop as an agricultural commodity. The versatile crop has been grown on an experimental basis in a number of states in recent years.

Kentucky has been at the forefront of hemp's comeback. Kentucky agriculture officials recently approved more than 12,000 acres (4,856 hectares) to be grown in the state this year, and 57 Kentucky processors are helping turn the raw product into a multitude of products.

Hemp advocates fighting for years to restore the crop's legitimacy hailed McConnell's decision to put his political influence behind the effort. "This is a huge development for the hemp industry," Steenstra said. "Sen. McConnell's support is critical to helping us move hemp from research and pilot programs to full commercial production."

"I think we've worked our way through the education process of making sure everybody understands this is really a different plant," the Republican leader said. McConnell said he plans to have those discussions with Attorney General Jeff Sessions to emphasize the differences between the plants. The Trump administration has taken a tougher stance on marijuana.

www.whec.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I guess Mitch McConnell and Jeff sessions are going to have to Duke it out.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
welp a blind squirrel really can find a nut every now and again... wonder what kind of threat there is to his reelection or did he just get an opportunity to invest in Hemp.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Simply, Hemp would be a sustainable and useful crop.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Mitch McConnell is scared. He startled everybody last month by stating that Republicans will probably lose their majority in the Senate this November.
edit on 3/26/2018 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
welp a blind squirrel really can find a nut every now and again... wonder what kind of threat there is to his reelection or did he just get an opportunity to invest in Hemp.

Both almost assuredly.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

It's an issue that comes up here in KY a lot. This is a wonderful place for it to grow (it grows naturally here).

Hemp is a very useful product from rope, to paper, oil, plastics, etc etc etc. Very sustainable.

It is not a drug and cannot be smoked.

Actually it was the big logging industries that get it pushed down as it competes with them for paper products.

Kentuckians want to use it as a replacement crop for tobacco. If this passes it would be a major boost to our economy.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I hope he knows science because the ban is subspecies specific. You get a name wrong there and all of a sudden hops would now be illegal (almost happened too).

Industrial hemp should not be on a schedule at all. Sessions is buried deep in the pocket of big pharma and wants enforcement to continue as long as possible. Meanwhile, they don't give a rats @ss about your health, your kid's health, or the well being of loved ones with something as innocuous as CBD oil.

You can see their intentions every time you see it spelled, "marihuana". Jerks.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

Before they became illegal I used to take hemp seeds to keep my immune system strong. It helped in a lot of other areas too.

Deregulating it once again is an excellent idea!

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I wonder what kind of deal he has in the works with China!

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
What politician doesn't kiss the asses of their constituents? This is a good thing regardless of who is saying it.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I guess Mitch McConnell and Jeff sessions are going to have to Duke it out.

Oh man! I would pay good money to see that! I cant stand either one but to see Golum fight a Turtle, yeah Id be front row.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Hey I don't want to derail here, but I am curious how this almost happened:

and all of a sudden hops would now be illegal (almost happened too).

Hemp is Cannibas Sativa/Indica, whereas Hops is Humulus Lupus where is the confusion legally on two differing genera?
ETA I recognize theyre in the same family, just wondering (not being confrontational either

edit on 26-3-2018 by BlueJacket because: eta

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

I agree its a beneficial product that is far superior in some areas, it never should have been listed.

I trust him about as far as I can throw a multi story building.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Hemp can do anything oil can do and more, and it is renewable.
How can anyone with a brain that functions properly not see this?
We have way too many real problems in the country to fix instead of thinking about a plant or plants that are not dangerous and put on this earth for us to use to benefit many people in many ways.
Why do we have soldiers guarding poppy fields in Afghanistan? Knowing that it is going to make its way here in the form of heroin?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Factoid:

Hemp is STILL the strongest natural fibre available for rope - it's historical use in the maritime industry surpasses even the creation of the United States of America.

I applaud this bill - it is indeed a miracle plant, for a multitude of reasons.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

I've got nothing against hemp, but some people feel that marijuana is a "miracle plant" too, especially those who benefit from it's medicinal properties. Explain to me why it's OK for the government to be influenced by big $$$$, from big pharma, in keeping maijuana illegal? How many deaths from lung cancer caused from tobacco products? How many deaths each year from alcohol abuse and accidents caused by drunk drivers? Yet Sessions has the gall to say pot is just "slightly" less dangerous than heroin?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Maybe ole Mitch has started par-taking himself. He has been under a lot of stress lately.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

The DOJ will probably approve making hemp legal

I'd be surprised. Imagine giant fields of hemp, with everybody and their uncle trying to grow their weed amongst the lookalikes..I know I would never do such a thing.

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Big Pharma doesn't want the ill to be growing their own medicine.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join