It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8x more likely to win Powerball lottery than be shot in a school shooting!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I am wondering why this is posted here and not in an opinion forum?

Mate, I know this is obviously a passionate topic for you, but do you really feel the need to post new threads on every single opinion or idea you have, when you could add to your own existing threads? It's a bit clogging. And some parts of me really feels like you're not for real because of it.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
Yaya and there's a better chance of being struck by lightning than winning the lottery. In a practical sense stats are useless for these purposes.

On the contrary, they are useful for putting things into perspective. Let us, for instance, compare the numbers to the chance of being shot outside school:

In a given year, for every 1 million americans 35.44 will be murdered by a gun
In a given year, for every 1 million students 0.27 will be murdered by a gun in school

The likelihood of being murdered by a gun outside school is 131 times higher then being murdered by a gun *in* school.

However terrible it is that *anyone* is shot while in school, the statistics tells us that there is an argument to be made that there is no *school* shooting problem.

The statistics also show us that fatal shootings in schools,14, are fewer than in hospitals, 16, (2015 numbers, Bureau of labor statistics), yet no one talks about the hospital shooting problem.

edit on 26-3-2018 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

So basically, your saying that your far more likely to be murdered by a gun, after you graduate from high school in the US?

That's a truly captivating argument dude... You really got to stop and wonder why so many people in the US are calling for stricter gun laws, when the pro-gun activists can provide such convincing statistics.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

"Boy (non gender) You must be diggin...." More guns would be $old if We get someone to be an "Armed Hall Monitor" Have We slipped that far? Why, YES We have! Currently I'm working in My underground lair to grow thumbs on canines so they can run things for a bit, (hopefully). Where is My 'proof' that society is FUBAR? The guy wins the Powerball™ and keeps playing 7 more times; greedy pig! Like Dave Rockefeller and human hearts..

Tangent control:

More guns $old to monitor Ms. Fleming's 3rd grade Arts & Farts and these same kids will be 'comfortable around guns' (Yea 2nd Amendment "Patriot$") This is 'win/win' all the way around. More commercials pushing American Made Arms think Henry™ Repeating Rifles and maybe an electric RV and everyone wearing helmets in the electric 4wd as they drive around the parking lot of the oversold KOA™

How 'bout I HIT the Powerball™ and I'll cut everyone in that threw Me "good vibes", I'd certainly do that and then move to some always warm foreign soil, somewhere where they appreciate the elderly and is less expensive than the US, so just abut anywhere. Once established I'd 'give back' most of My winnings, because due to the exchange rate I wouldn't NEED as much as I would living here...

I promise.

Until I depart and You cash the FREE winnings, Stay Hydrated...

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

originally posted by: carewemust
Illegal Immigrants kill more young people than school shooters.

LOL. Care to show your source for that?

I'm no mathematician but...

According to the FBI, 67,642 murders were committed in the U.S. from 2005 through 2008, and 115,717 from 2003 through 2009. The General Accounting Office documents that criminal immigrants committed 25,064 of these murders.
Source
I assure you there are children among those 25k dead. Now unless there are a few hundred school shootings I've missed I'd suspect more children have been killed by illegal immigrants than school shooters.

It's simple math.

Unless one of you bleeding hearts can prove me otherwise?...

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
"According to the FBI, 67,642 murders were committed in the U.S. from 2005 through 2008, and 115,717 from 2003 through 2009."

That must be some kind of typo: look at those dates, they overlap massively: from 2005 to 2008, then from 2003 to 2009.

Thats an extremely odd way of calculating murders. 2003/04 and 2009 are the only years that could contain the doubling of murders.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join