It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff Running for Local County Suggests He is Willing to Kill American Citizens

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

How does one write an op-ed with no money? Gee, that's a tough one, let me think about it.

And who will see it?

Uh, yeah. Not like they can hear you yelling at the TV from your couch.

I went to a couple town halls, didn't learn much about a candidate in their 3 minute speech, nor did the other couple dozen people there. Then I went to one and there were 3 people there to support a local electee running unopposed. Yea that's a good use of the voting system.

It's obvious you haven't participated in local elections where you don't need significant resources

correct, the couple times i lived in a small town it was very brief. lived in big cities for most of my life, and I hate it.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: Vector99

I was specifically referring to citizen participation in the vetting process which you asked me how they accomplished and then retorted you 'need money'. Your slewing all over the place.

Again, explain to me how one does it with no money?

How do you become someone out of a hundred-thousand?

Just show up to town halls and say stuff? Wow, you might get 20 voters.

How do you get known without money?

Nice and super vague. Let me know when you develop a model that works better than elections.

I don't have a better option. I do however, have the knowledge to know that elections are paid for. You don't win without financing. (except in extremely rare cases)

It's an election, you don't have to do anything.

and I didn't federally. Locally I voted on 2 props, won one lost one.

I'm starting to think maybe you don't understand what "vetting" means.

Are candidates vetted by the party or the people?

Both.

An election is in and of itself a vetting process.

Who gets to run for those positions?

Or should i state it as who gets funded for those positions?

Do the people choose that? Or do parties put forth the best candidate available?

Tell me again about this vetting thing?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   

And who will see it?

I'm gonna venture a guess and say the people who read the particular publication that runs it.

I went to a couple town halls...

Wow, a whole couple of events? You sound like you're investing way too much time in the political process.

Here's a thought, elections aren't the issue, it's disengaged voters like yourself.

correct, the couple times i lived in a small town it was very brief. lived in big cities for most of my life, and I hate it.

Look, I was right.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Are you really asking for a civics lesson? Okay, here we go:

Who gets to run for those positions?

Whoever fills out the paperwork. For example, in the election cited in the OP there are multiple candidates, and their paperwork is, for the most part, online. You can see who filled out their paperwork, who's on their committees, and how much they've received in contributions.

Or should i state it as who gets funded for those positions?

I suspect you're going to state it however best you think makes the point you think you're making.

Do the people choose that?

Do the people choose who fills out paperwork? I think a person somewhere along the way had to choose to fill out the paperwork, yes.

Or do parties put forth the best candidate available?

The parties put forth whomever they feel like.

Tell me again about this vetting thing?

Why? You have zero concept of it so far and I don't think it can be dumbed down any further. Maybe Augie can do some Masonmagic and help you.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Wow, a whole couple of events? You sound like you're investing way too much time in the political process.

Sounds like in addition to some folks being thoroughly confused as to what vetting is, a bunch of other folks seem to be thoroughly confused as to what a town hall meeting is.

Never in my life have I seen one that consisted of a couple of three minute speeches and that was it, and I've been going to town halls since I was a teenager.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Do publishers print every oped they get?

No. They print the ones they want to print.

See the problem with your reasoning?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Instant free political video for the Right come election time. Won’t be framed as one idealogue, it will be framed as the platform of all Democratic candidates...at least if the Right is on top of their game.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

That's called the freedom of the press. They get to print what they want to.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

No one is saying they can't. Totally irrelevant deflection, thanks.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I try to stay engaged, but in a big city it's impossible.

Every 2 years I see the same faces on signs that don't get taken down, and become an expense to the city for removal.

But yes, elections would be a good process if elections always produced the best of the best for candidates. if you have 2 equally overqualified individuals competing for one spot, voting would be natural. We don't have that. We have a bought and paid for system that puts up the people most likely to win. That is reality, whether you like it or not.

I don't like that system, and pardon me for speaking against it.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

a reply to: introvert

No one is saying they can't. Totally irrelevant deflection, thanks.

Perhaps I missed the context of what you are saying.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Ok smart guy, then go elected, to anything.

It's so damn easy so show us how it's done.

Election time is now, so this shouldn't be an issue. Fill out the forms and go to a lot of events. Show us ALL how it's done. You seem to be so informed, that this should be a walk in the park.

Go get elected. it's apparently really easy.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Never in my life have I seen one that consisted of a couple of three minute speeches and that was it, and I've been going to town halls since I was a teenager.

The ones that I have attended lately were more like a meeting of the House of Commons with all kinds of raucous dialogue. I liked it.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I guess you need to be a disengaged voter too. Besides cherry picking that one example how about addressing the rest.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I've turned down a request to run for Town Council as my travel schedule would not permit me to effectively serve. Just because I know how the election process works doesn't make me an ideal candidate. This is a strawman.

No, it's incredibly hard, that's why every November tens of thousands of people are elected to local government roles across the country despite low energy, ill-informed voters like yourself.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

No, you want unelected persons running our government. That isn't a representative democracy.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

a reply to: Shamrock6

It's so damn easy so show us how it's done.

Election time is now, so this shouldn't be an issue. Fill out the forms and go to a lot of events. Show us ALL how it's done. You seem to be so informed, that this should be a walk in the park.

That's quite possibly the most absurd "rebuttal" I've ever seen on ATS. And that takes some doing.

But I appreciate you admiring my intellect

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'm guessing you live in a small town.

Those positions might be easy to get if the town knows you and likes you, hence the issue with elections.

I don't doubt for a second you would be qualified for such a role, but as you stated, you're too busy. That leaves the next guy, and he's likely too busy with business as well. See where this is going?

So, once all the really qualified candidates in a small town are too busy, what's left?

Who cares, we'll vote on it.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Pardon us for speaking against the system you push, which is that those in the system get to determine not only who stays in the system, but who gets the power within the system.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

My pops belonged to a Committee of 100, which is where my early exposure to local politics came from.

If a local candidate had shown up, spoken for three minutes, and then ceased to engage the members for the duration of the meeting, that candidate would've been laughed not only out of the room but likely out of the election entirely.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join