It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US school shootings - Schools are SAFEST place in America, BY FAR!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

No, that is a terrible breakdown, because it includes a majority in its numbers that are not what most thinking, reasonable people would call a school shooting.
    A drive-by gang shooting of someone in a school parking lot is only a "school shooting" by the most misleading of definitions.

A college student pissed at his parents and who kills them while they're visiting him at his dorm is only a "school shooting" bye the most misleading of definitions.

Someone getting robbed and shot in a college parking garage is only a "school shooting" by the most misleading of definitions.

A kid bringing a 12-gauge to school in a targeted act of violence to shoot his bully is only a "school shooting" by the most misleading of definitions.

A kid bringing a pistol to school and attempting suicide by shooting himself in the head in front of his classroom is only a "school shooting" by the most misleading of definitions.

I could go on and on, here, but if you're being intellectually honest in this discussion, you know very well that these are not the types of shootings that the average person concerned about "school shootings" is referencing.

The 'the-government-is-doing-nothing-to-stop-us-from-getting-killed' mantra associated with the March for Our Lives (or "#neveragain") movement is not focused on attempted suicides and assassinations of bullies or gang-related drive-bys that just happened to be committed on a school campus.

If you are willing to admit that, then we can have an appropriate discussion. Everytown is a tainted, massively ideological website that presents itself as a fair authority on the topic, but they are not--they spin and misrepresent data in order to push a narrative, much like most places these days.

According to Everytown, "any time a firearm discharges a live round inside a school building or on a school campus or grounds," it counts as a school shooting, regardless of whether or not the shooting results in injury or death.

For example, a third-grader at Harmony Learning Center in Maplewood, Minnesota, pressed the trigger on a school liaison officer's gun on Feb. 5. The weapon discharged and hit the floor — no injuries were reported.

Is that a school shooting? By Everytown's definition, that's exactly what it is.

CNBC

So, no, I refuse to call that "a better breakdown" of school shootings. I'm not trying to shove anything under a table, but I'm also not going to lump an accidental discharge of a firearm into the same category as Newtown, or Columbine, or the recent Florida attack on school children.

If you disagree, I suppose that's fine, but I would call it intellectually dishonest.

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join