It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US school shootings - Schools are SAFEST place in America, BY FAR!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Of all people? When it comes to who gets assigned to what, I don’t know anything that doesn’t pertain to my agency and where I live. Anything that falls outside of those two things is an opinion.

I know that my agency SROs aren’t all overweight dudes waiting on a pension. I know that the SRO assigned to my kids’ school fits the description WarDaddy gave far better than the one you did.
edit on 26-3-2018 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: Vector99

a reply to: Wardaddy454
Yes

Kind of does a disservice to the victims when they are a stat for "school shootings", and not victims of a man in need of mental help and that topic as a whole.

Seriously?

The guy that did it was in his 50's.

One girl got shot and died, others got raped.

Yea let's not consider that a school shooting because only one died.

Wow.

You know that's not how I meant it. But because he used a gun and it happened at a school, you won't look at it as anything but. He was clearly mentally ill, and should have been evaluated long before this happened.

It was a goddamn school shooting,

See my edit

Read it, mental health evaluations wouldn't have worked in such a situation unless he was reported. Up there it was as backwoods as you can get, even if he was crazy his nearest neighbors were an acre away, and the guy had guns...lots.

He lost his shlt, and went into a school.

THAT is my point, it's too damn easy to get into a school, and there isn't an effective force present in schools to deter it.

A uniformed cop or 4 REGULARLY on site. NOT sitting in their car when school starts, NOT sitting in their car on class change, Not being absent when they are needed.

The thin blue line is showing here, not with you but with another, one that knows the school job is a retirement job.

THAT is the issue.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Of all people? When it comes to who gets assigned to what, I don’t know anything that doesn’t pertain to my agency and where I live. Anything that falls outside of those two things is an opinion.

I know that my agency SROs aren’t all overweight dudes waiting on a pension. I know that the SRO assigned to my kids’ school fits the description WarDaddy gave far better than the one you did.

Aren't most school district police their own entity?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

a reply to: Wardaddy454
Yes

Kind of does a disservice to the victims when they are a stat for "school shootings", and not victims of a man in need of mental help and that topic as a whole.

Seriously?

The guy that did it was in his 50's.

One girl got shot and died, others got raped.

Yea let's not consider that a school shooting because only one died.

Wow.

You know that's not how I meant it. But because he used a gun and it happened at a school, you won't look at it as anything but. He was clearly mentally ill, and should have been evaluated long before this happened.

It was a goddamn school shooting,

See my edit

Read it, mental health evaluations wouldn't have worked in such a situation unless he was reported. Up there it was as backwoods as you can get, even if he was crazy his nearest neighbors were an acre away, and the guy had guns...lots.

He lost his shlt, and went into a school.

THAT is my point, it's too damn easy to get into a school, and there isn't an effective force present in schools to deter it.

A uniformed cop or 4 REGULARLY on site. NOT sitting in their car when school starts, NOT sitting in their car on class change, Not being absent when they are needed.

The thin blue line is showing here, not with you but with another, one that knows the school job is a retirement job.

THAT is the issue.

You make it sound as if this school was in a small-ish town ( I don't know much about Bailey), so maybe it was the retirement gig for that area. If that's the case, then that is a failure of government at the local level.

That high school near me, the cops are required to sit inside at the entrance, and patrol every so often inside. That was the case years ago for me, as well as for my baby sister not long ago. And these guys are tanks, not Chief Wiggum.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I have tried showing statistics and comparing murder rates and probabilities in the past, and it all generally tends to fall on deaf ears, unfortunately--at least with those who fall under the category of having an agenda, like the MSM and leftist organizations (at least as it pertains to this topic).

The problem that I see is that Americans--and especially its younger citizens--don't understand the importance of statistics and facts anymore, and I don't know if that's a failure of parenting, schooling, society, media (including and probably mostly 'social media'), or a combination of some or all and even more that I didn't list. But the reality is that many, many people are either apathetic or willfully ignorant, and yet some of these people have enough motivation to latch onto the latest trending hashtags and memes and write a sign and go stand in a crowd, all the while not being able to answer the simplest of questions on the topic, let alone go into depth discussing it and information about it...or knowing not to wear a "MOLON LABE" sweatshirt to an anti-gun rally or wear a military-style jacket with the Cuban flag on it to a rally where you call for peace and an end to violence.

So here we are, in a nation where a media whore named Hogg is out there raising his fist in (what has evolved into) manufactured anger over something that is statistically something that no person in America will ever be the victim of nor be directly affected by it...and I can not wait until we figure out who is funding and organizing all of this stuff, because it damn sure is not 11-18-year-old students, that's for sure.

Good work on the stats, and just know that while it's not unappreciated by some of us, it will be disregarded and straw-man attacked by others who can't wrap their brains around the simple idea that facts and stats matter, especially in a debate whose main focus is taking away and disregarding the true, actual rights of Americans (not the fake rights, like being able to wear any backpack that one chooses).

edit on 26-3-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I think apathetic is not the correct term for the people out there marching and protesting. I think apathetic is the correct term for the people who are claiming these shootings are statistically insignificant and are therefore, no big deal. THAT is apathetic.

I don’t think gun lovers have too much to worry about. The guns you own are safe, and you will still be able to buy more and more guns for your cool and awesome arsenal. The one hope I have though, is that future generations will become less and less enamored with guns, and the gun culture in America will become less and less of an issue. I’m hoping that America will one day be like other countries that allow guns - and not have this weird worship relationship with their guns.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Isn't it interesting that damn near all of these mass shootings take place in "gun free" zones? That's a bit paradoxical in the context of the current anti-gun fervor. Turns out that crime is generally much lower when concealed carry is the rule of the day.

I can't understand how so many can remain willfully ignorant and argue against facts with little more than feelings and empty sentiments.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Switzerland has a higher percentage of gun ownership and one of the lowest crime rates in the world. Perhaps we have a cultural or societal problem here?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I think apathetic is not the correct term for the people out there marching and protesting. I think apathetic is the correct term for the people who are claiming these shootings are statistically insignificant and are therefore, no big deal. THAT is apathetic.

I don’t think gun lovers have too much to worry about. The guns you own are safe, and you will still be able to buy more and more guns for your cool and awesome arsenal. The one hope I have though, is that future generations will become less and less enamored with guns, and the gun culture in America will become less and less of an issue. I’m hoping that America will one day be like other countries that allow guns - and not have this weird worship relationship with their guns.

Correct... the people marching aren't apathetic, they are ignorant.

Everyone is appalled at school shootings. However, some people are mature enough to realize that the world is not some Utopian paradise where no one gets a splinter. No matter what we do, there will always be a few people whose elevator doesn't stop at all floors. People get hurt and die in far more frequent events than school shootings yet no one bats an eye.

Facts are stubborn things. One side has the data and facts to support their position. The other side just has their feelings and emotion.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: milypr81

Switzerland has a higher percentage of gun ownership and one of the lowest crime rates in the world. Perhaps we have a cultural or societal problem here?

It’s true that the majority of homes in Switzerland have a gun, as in one. It is common for a typical gun owner in America to have multiple guns. I believe that many Americans look to guns as the solution to all their problems. I don’t think the Swiss have that same feeling about guns. So yes, I believe America has an unhealthy gun culture.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Aren't most school district police their own entity?

Obviously a school district police department would be it's own agency. I sincerely doubt the majority of school districts have their own police department, in which case they would use SROs.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I haven't had a chance to dig through your data yet but it seems the methodology is sound. Good job.

Unless someone is willing to engage you on that data or methodology, I would not be too concerned about their comments.

Some people simply choose to live in a self imposed bubble of ideological barriers. This barrier is what they choose to engage the world through instead of rational thought. When you present a cogent argument (as you have) it runs headlong into their barriers. Their response is to attack because they feel attacked.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

If you are comparing a child getting shot and killed at a public school to getting a splinter... you are definitely NOT appalled. Just sayin’.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

If you are comparing a child getting shot and killed at a public school to getting a splinter... you are definitely NOT appalled. Just sayin’.

Work on your reading comprehension... if you think that is what I was doing, then you aren't capable of having an intelligent discussion on the topic.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Work on your reading comprehension... if you think that is what I was doing, then you aren't capable of having an intelligent discussion on the topic.

I know exactly what you were doing. Minimizing the situation.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

So, apathy, in your mind, is people who actually do research into statistics and school shootings and the laws of the states and policies of the schools and history and intent of the second amendment and court rulings pertaining to it.

I see. Yes, these people willing to lock-step with appeal-to-emotion speeches and hashtags and internet memes are much more informed.

Seriously?! THAT is your rebuttal?

You seem to be like most of these marchers and protestors on this issue--you misconstrue why pro-2nd-amendment people are so vocally opposed to the ignorance and vitriol coming out of these young teenagers. And that willful ignorance behind the "why" of most opponents to these outcries of "just do something!" (except make us wear clear backpacks) is what seemingly clouds not just yours, but most people's who comment like you judgment and opinion on the matter.

But, yes, keep incorrectly calling me apathetic, and keep misconstruing the reason behind the disdain for these protestors all that you want to, because it doesn't change the reality that you're intellectually wrong in your opinions, at least on those two subjects.

You and others like are like heat-warped, scratched-up skipping records--even in the face of actual statistics and percentages and other relevant/pertinent information on the subject, you'd rather just come with the ad hominems and false comparisons.

Well, to each their own, I guess, but that's not my cup-o'-noodles.

Best regards.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Going to high school shouldn't be like going to through the TSA, but on the same note not everyone should be allowed to enter.

Have you been to schools lately? Most of them require that you buzz the office to be let in because the doors are locked. Some have metal detectors and searches.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

And also: Schools are safer than they were in the 90s, and school shootings are not more common than they used to be, researchers say.

Pesky data and statistics, I know, but hopefully this will help you be better informed as to where the true apathy lies.

Lazy misleading by kids and politicians and ignorant actors does not an honest protest make.

Best regards.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Correct... the people marching aren't apathetic, they are ignorant.

They are willfully ignorant, and that is apathy of the worst order in a world where information is literally at everyone's fingertips.

There is no excuse for the ignorance that these protestors display, other than they just don't want to know the truth and would rather employ logical fallacies and intentionally misleading comments as a means to the end of a political agenda.

I feel bad for these kids, both for the fear that they have (which is probably real in many of them) and the way that they are being used by these politicians.

It's mental apathy, and it's sad to watch--and it's even worse when people defend it.

Facts are stubborn things. One side has the data and facts to support their position. The other side just has their feelings and emotion.

Truth bombs should be regulated.

posted on Mar, 27 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

And also: Schools are safer than they were in the 90s, and school shootings are not more common than they used to be, researchers say.

Pesky data and statistics, I know, but hopefully this will help you be better informed as to where the true apathy lies.

That's only data on cases where 4 or more were shot. Most shootings involve 1-3 people. Here's a better breakdown - note that the numbers aren't a match because they're considering things were there was a discharge of firearms and where one or more people were hurt or killed. They also include suicides.

One kid shooting another one on the playground at school is not something you should shove under the table.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join