It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1791... Time for a change?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

And it becomes very apparent that we get the same attitude from some American members here too, and we have explain the same things over and over too, be it politics or threads like this.

We are more alike than we think, but and it's a big but, the things that are different are sometimes sooo different that we can't see why our opinions differ so drastically and anger the "other side" so much.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

You have a well regulated Militia. Isn't this different to your rights to bear Arms? As implied by the comma.

I know some citizens can get Automatics and can't understand why it is possible at all? Surely there is no reason for its use. Accept entertainment or otherwise illegal activities. If there is reason inform me?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think some of our non-US members see only what their media shows them, which is usually hyper-sensationalized. This is certainly a technique to show how bad guns are and keep their populations scared and sedated.

If one looks at the stats, mass murders are less than 1% of all gun crimes. Also, 50% of all gun crime is gang relatedText! Additionally, so people conflate the stats with suicide, which accounts for 65% of total gun deaths.

mic.com...

There are 2 Americas, btw, Urban and Suburban. Country folk make up far, FAR fewer gun crimes than city folk. Which coincidentally falls along left/right lines....

So, ban gangs and city people, and 90% of gun crime goes away.

It does get incredibly boring (I live in the UK myself) rehashing the same thing over and over every time one of these shootings happens.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

I agree!

But we cant get along at all as long as they inist on "Aluminium" rather than "Aluminum"

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: slipdigskywalker
Gday long time lurker. I joned to ask the Americans where in the Amendments it says "Bear Arms" Means the right to military style semi autos and Automatics?

Also why would taking the more deadly weapons out of the hands of everyday citizens be against the amendments if you were still allowed ownership of a bolt loaded style weapon?

Why don't you just control your guns better with more restriction or harder and more education about responsible gun ownership?

People do not have full auto, or military style equipment.

I mentioned earlier that it gets frustrating having to repeat the same stuff over and over...and here is a perfect example. This member could spend awhile acquainting themselves with the subject matter, but instead wades into a debate on subject matter they are demonstrably ignorant on. It would likely have saved the thousandth time on ATS in the past week that its been pointed out that citizens do not have fully auto NOR military styled weapons. We get civilian weapons with scary looking plastic pieces attached to it so it looks like a military weapon.

How should Americans receive such advice and input?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I am surprised, pleasantly, to see someone in the UK acknowledge that the US is sharply divided between urban and rural. Our people, our politics, our laws, our cultures, and our values.

In towns im accustomed to living in, city folk get upset because at 8pm everyone has closed up shop and gone home to be with their family.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Keep in mind the cultural differences too. America has had a romance with guns going back....way back since the Civil War onward.

Everything from songs about it:

Old TV shows using it:

To even today in modern times:

In fact: most references to Americans going back many decades is we're Arrogant, Opinionated, Gun Toting, Gun Shooting people, who really don't give a wild "F" about other's opinions.....sort of like this guy:

Even in our cartoons........

I can't say they are wrong. We are a pretty arrogant bunch. We do have a romance with guns.....pretty BIG one in fact.

Of course each culture has a love for something that is ingrained in their history.

For us Americans....it's guns.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
I think some of our non-US members see only what their media shows them, which is usually hyper-sensationalized. This is certainly a technique to show how bad guns are and keep their populations scared and sedated.

If one looks at the stats, mass murders are less than 1% of all gun crimes. Also, 50% of all gun crime is gang relatedText! Additionally, so people conflate the stats with suicide, which accounts for 65% of total gun deaths.

mic.com...

There are 2 Americas, btw, Urban and Suburban. Country folk make up far, FAR fewer gun crimes than city folk. Which coincidentally falls along left/right lines....

It does get incredibly boring (I live in the UK myself) rehashing the same thing over and over every time one of these shootings happens.

ETA, I would also say that these OP's are written in a manner that resembles preaching, with rather inflammatory word choices, that raises one's hackles and forces one to defend themselves in a retaliatory manner, rather than a civilized one.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

You might be quite surprised as to how many members are part of or have been part of a paramilitary organization. Not my place to name names, but I can think of more than twenty off the top of my head.

But the point of the Second is not to be in a militia. It is to be prepared to form a militia should the need arise. And while the Second is often misconstrued, other parts of the Constitution are ignored wholesale. Of particular interest is that neither the Federal nor any State government are to maintain a standing army in times of peace. That means the US Army as it stands and every State National Guard are actually unconstitutional.

Do you have a plan in place of a gathering point? Which of your friends would gather a in time of great need? Do you have weapons of choice to carry in common calibers? Do you have sufficient means to self sustain for 3-4 weeks if needed? Enough ammo, magazines, a knife as a tool, cordage, sensible clothing, bedding, supplies and able to put your things in a reasonable pack?

For far too many the answers are to scavenge a battle field. Guess what? So will others that are better prepared because they are restocking and upgrading not just stocking. But that really gets into other topics better addressed in the Survival forum.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

It would help if you guys learned how to spell correctly. Also, it's called a sidewalk...not pavement!!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

mic.com...

I totally agree with you on your comments here.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

LOL, well you might be even more pleasantly surprised...or not....that I am a US expat living in the UK. Born and raised in Ohio where it was an excused absence from school to go deer hunting.

link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I don't think that means that at all. Clearly Militia and the bear arms parts are separate but both not to be infringed. Even there, they clarify a difference. So i don't believe they expected the everyday citizens to be allowed to have atomic bombs like the military. As you propose. Bombs are classed as "Arms" these days. Or do you draw a line at guns?

link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

There is some doubt as to whether or not he made that quote.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   

LOL, well you might be even more pleasantly surprised...or not....that I am a US expat living in the UK. Born and raised in Ohio where it was an excused absence from school to go deer hunting.

Fight the good fight, brother. Subvert them from the inside.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

a reply to: Butterfinger

It would help if you guys learned how to spell correctly. Also, it's called a sidewalk...not pavement!!!!

I'll see your "Sidewalk" and raise you a "Bathroom"

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Huzzah!!!!

Well said, sir.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

And horses.

See...we aren't all bad. We like the furry horses, too.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Sir, I am honoured that a member with 3 million stars would recognize my lowly contribution. ( I even misspelt honor for ya). LOL

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Fight the good fight, brother. Subvert them from the inside.

Come on BFFT, you know we're converting him with all the tea, stout, Yorkshire pudding and black pudding!!

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join