It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1791... Time for a change?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
a reply to: Lagomorphe

As a brit who had family on the mayflower doesn't give you a say. That is like me saying i have family in Britain so i have a say on how you should deal with pressing matters in your country. Further more you chose to leave Britain and go to France? In my lightly British flavored bloods opinion that gives you even less of a say.

I've said my piece. And as always

So I should shut my gob, close my eye blinkers and stay in Europe is what you are suggesting?

I did not suggest anything PAL; I asked a question...

Your answer is a typical stereotype of why so many outsiders of the USA cringe whenever coming across people of your type... (especially your stfu comment)...

I feel deeply sorry for our open minded American members when I read such an outstanding (NOT) post such as yours.

I am happy that you got an intellectual erection out of your post and have a nice day/evening.

I SUGGEST that you re-read my original post please.

Thank you

Lags

ETA : I see that you edited STFU to stop whilst I was typing my response
edit on 26-3-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Ps Added

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

As a brit who had family on the mayflower doesn't give you a say. That is like me saying i have family in Britain so i have a say on how you should deal with pressing matters in your country.

You need to look into the historical facts regarding the 2nd Amendment.

The Right To Bear Arm has it foundation in The English Bill Of Rights 1689.

This was the catalyst and foundation of the 2nd Amendment. Therefore this gives us the right to make comments about this issue on this side of the pond.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: Gothmog

This relates to a question I wanted to ask on here but I don't think eserves a thread of its own. Obviously not aimed at you Lagomorphe but ATS in general...

How many of you, who tighten your grip on your firearms every time there's a mass shooting in your country and come out en mass to defend the 2nd ammendment, are actually involve in a Militia?

I'm wiling to bet the number is really low or even non existant. It would seem if you own a gun and are not part of militia, your Second Ammendmenting wrong!

That is the one most error in reasoning facing anyone that just "reads" The Constitution of the US .
There is a comma in there , or doesnt anyone ever notice ? Grammar is everything
Separates the need to be in a militia from the right to own firearms by the people. Theoretically to prevent a take-over by other elements , of the US government .
Unlike some other countries that are falling from within..

A comma is a pause between things. If it was a full stop then a new sentence you might be on to something. Commas are used in iists. If your missus wrote a shopping list.... "milk, eggs, ammunition" would you just buy the ammunition because the comma separates the need for Milk and Eggs from the need Ammunition?

And yet commas are used throughout the constitution, almost extraneously in terms of modern usage. However, we don't nitpick the commas in the 1st or 3rd amendments for example.

What If I told you the "original" Second Amendment had three commas that formed four different clauses. or that there were at least 8 versions sent out to be ratified, that had 0-4 commas? They tended to over punctuate back in the 18th century when taking notes by hand. But given the context, the intention was for the populace to be armed.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

I quit the MSM thing some time ago but refugee reports are also all over the net. If the EU thingy is so great why did your native nation vote to get out of it? By the way, seems that hasn't happened yet and my suspicion is that the exit will be sabotaged some way and Briton will remain in the EU ore at least partially under it's control despite public vote to get out of it.

I have been over here in France for nearly 30 years now Charles due to falling in lust/love with a charming French lady.

In that time I have never voted in the UK for anything.... Neither in France...

Whatever happens in the UK due to the way they voted is up to them and they will deal with it accordingly so methinks.

I have a clear conscience.

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: WarPig1939

Not going to happen. If that was the case we would have the same problems plaguing europe right now.

Screw that mess. Nope.

Give someone an inch and they will take a mile. Before we know it there wont be a first or a second amendment or a constitution that is even recognizable anymore...

Yeah, much better to just let your youth keep going to school in fear of becoming another statistic in a mass shooting...

Yep, it's a scary world out there. I even got stabbed in the eye with a sharpened pencil back in skool days.

What's it got to do with guns now?

Oh yeah...nothing other than irrational feelings.

Its irrational to want to live now? It's irrational to not want to see your sons and daughters killed before they even have a chance to live? Good one....

Better take away the phone and the car then. Because you wont be there to keep them from texting a driving, even "just the one time"..

Just a simple question that has no doubt been asked a million times here and in different forums but I for one am very open to your answer :

Have phones and cars been the cause of mass killings in schools on a fairly regular basis in the USA?

Thanks for your input.

Kindest respects

Lags

When people appeal to emotion to make their point (think of the children! even one child is too much!), its fair game.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Not going to happen. If that was the case we would have the same problems plaguing europe right now.

Screw that mess. Nope.

Give someone an inch and they will take a mile. Before we know it there wont be a first or a second amendment or a constitution that is even recognizable anymore...

Yeah, much better to just let your youth keep going to school in fear of becoming another statistic in a mass shooting...

Yep, it's a scary world out there. I even got stabbed in the eye with a sharpened pencil back in skool days.

Its irrational to want to live now? It's irrational to not want to see your sons and daughters killed before they even have a chance to live? Good one....

Better take away the phone and the car then. Because you wont be there to keep them from texting a driving, even "just the one time"..

You guys always resort to pedantics when you don't have an argument....

Just us? ^

I find this a lot here, you put a point across and someone STARTS calling for the banning of cars, cigarettes (please, ban them, they stink as well as all the health risks. I'm here for the debate, I like to discuss things and educate myself along the way. My opinion is fluid and moves with knowledge gained. My stance on firearms has changed, before I waa opposed to your 2nd ammendment on principle. Now, although I still think guns and the laws surrounding them (and the ridiculous amount of protection those laws enjoy) are entwine in the issue, I realise now they're not the whole issue, America has a whole load of other problems that contribute. There's no envying though, if guns weren't so easily obtained, a lot of these mess killings (in schools and other places) simply would not be as frequent as they are because the perp wouldn't get a Gun. And don't give me that "if they didn't have guns they'd turn to other methodology" cr@p because that doesn't wash, after all its not like UK kids are looking for other ways to wipe out their classmates because they can't get.gun.

Denial is an ugly thing...

I mean, you made the appeal to emotion. That opened you up.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:48 AM
link   

This relates to a question I wanted to ask on here but I don't think eserves a thread of its own. Obviously not aimed at you Lagomorphe but ATS in general...

How many of you, who tighten your grip on your firearms every time there's a mass shooting in your country and come out en mass to defend the 2nd ammendment, are actually involve in a Militia?

I'm wiling to bet the number is really low or even non existant. It would seem if you own a gun and are not part of militia, your Second Ammendmenting wrong!

That is the one most error in reasoning facing anyone that just "reads" The Constitution of the US .
There is a comma in there , or doesnt anyone ever notice ? Grammar is everything
Separates the need to be in a militia from the right to own firearms by the people. Theoretically to prevent a take-over by other elements , of the US government .

A comma is a pause between things. If it was a full stop then a new sentence you might be on to something. Commas are used in iists. If your missus wrote a shopping list.... "milk, eggs, ammunition" would you just buy the ammunition because the comma separates the need for Milk and Eggs from the need Ammunition?

And yet commas are used throughout the constitution, almost extraneously in terms of modern usage. However, we don't nitpick the commas in the 1st or 3rd amendments for example.

What If I told you the "original" Second Amendment had three commas that formed four different clauses. or that there were at least 8 versions sent out to be ratified, that had 0-4 commas? They tended to over punctuate back in the 18th century when taking notes by hand. But given the context, the intention was for the populace to be armed.

So from your understanding its likely they comma that separates the right to bear arms from being in a militia is probably just a mistake from over used punctuation? Gotcha....

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:49 AM
link   

I quit the MSM thing some time ago but refugee reports are also all over the net. If the EU thingy is so great why did your native nation vote to get out of it? By the way, seems that hasn't happened yet and my suspicion is that the exit will be sabotaged some way and Briton will remain in the EU ore at least partially under it's control despite public vote to get out of it.

I have been over here in France for nearly 30 years now Charles due to falling in lust/love with a charming French lady.

Whatever happens in the UK due to the way they voted is up to them and they will deal with it accordingly so methinks.

Kindest respects

Lags

So you aren't a citizen and are there illegally?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Screw that mess. Nope.

Just a simple question that has no doubt been asked a million times here and in different forums but I for one am very open to your answer :

Have phones and cars been the cause of mass killings in schools on a fairly regular basis in the USA?

Thanks for your input.

Kindest respects

Lags

When people appeal to emotion to make their point (think of the children! even one child is too much!), its fair game.

Sorry mate but that was not really an answer to my question above?

Warmest respects

Lags

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   

So from your understanding its likely they comma that separates the right to bear arms from being in a militia is probably just a mistake from over used punctuation? Gotcha....

Not mine, but that of historians in general and constitutional scholars.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Screw that mess. Nope.

Just us? ^

I find this a lot here, you put a point across and someone STARTS calling for the banning of cars, cigarettes (please, ban them, they stink as well as all the health risks. I'm here for the debate, I like to discuss things and educate myself along the way. My opinion is fluid and moves with knowledge gained. My stance on firearms has changed, before I waa opposed to your 2nd ammendment on principle. Now, although I still think guns and the laws surrounding them (and the ridiculous amount of protection those laws enjoy) are entwine in the issue, I realise now they're not the whole issue, America has a whole load of other problems that contribute. There's no envying though, if guns weren't so easily obtained, a lot of these mess killings (in schools and other places) simply would not be as frequent as they are because the perp wouldn't get a Gun. And don't give me that "if they didn't have guns they'd turn to other methodology" cr@p because that doesn't wash, after all its not like UK kids are looking for other ways to wipe out their classmates because they can't get.gun.

Is that a reply to me?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Study grammar .
Commas are known as separators

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Kindest respects

Lags

I am legally here according to UE laws, I work and pay my taxes, social security etc...

I can if I want also submit myself to be mayor of our local town hall.

Here, some reading material for you : about-france.com...

or this : www.gov.uk...

Happy reading.

Kindest respects

Lags

Ps. Are you going to answer my question or not?

edit on 26-3-2018 by Lagomorphe because: Question

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

No, the anti gun crowd just want to ignore facts, because.."GUNS!!"
I keep pointing this out, but no one seems to want to talk about what's killing more teens in one year than all school shootings combined. Why is that? Folks are yelling about kids being safe and saving young lives, but are perfectly willing to ignore this.
Maybe we should raise the age limit for driving to 21?

www.jhsph.edu...

The leading cause of mortality among youth in the United States is unintentional injuries (48%) with motor vehicle injuries accounting for the majority of these deaths

Teen Driver Cell Phone Statistics.11 teens die every day as a result of texting while driving. According to a AAA poll, 94% of teen drivers acknowledge the dangers of texting and driving, but 35% admitted to doing it anyway. 21% of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones.

You want to see "from my cold dead hands" ? Tell a teen you're taking their phone.

I hear the "But it's not the same" coming. You're right, it's not. It's worse. You want to save your kids? Don't give them a cell phone and a car.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Screw that mess. Nope.

Thanks for your input.

Kindest respects

Lags

Warmest respects

Lags

I cant answer your emotion based question, as we've not had an over abundance of cars running into schools, and Samsung phones exploding in children's pockets, but I will try.

No, texting and driving has not been the cause of mass killings, but they have been the cause of mass deaths. About 11 a day. That's about 3,696 deaths annually. Compare that to 7,000 dead in school shootings since 2000. However, that 7,000 figure is false. That number is false because what constitutes a "school shooting" and "Mass Shooting" has been changed. Now it is considered a school shooting if a weapon discharges in a school zone.

But wait Wardaddy, that makes sense though. Yeah, I suppose so, if you're forgetting that some neighborhoods fall inside of those school zones, making an unrelated event like a suicide a "School Shooting". Its a "Mass Shooting" if 2 people are injured (not killed).

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Screw that mess. Nope.

Just us? ^

Is that a reply to me?

You betcha.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Kindest respects

Lags

I am legally here according to UE laws, I work and pay my taxes, social security etc...

I can if I want also submit myself to be mayor of our local town hall.

Here, some reading material for you : about-france.com...

or this : www.gov.uk...

Happy reading.

Kindest respects

Lags

Ps. Are you going to answer my question or not?

I had to ask, since I can't understand why you wouldn't vote.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Screw that mess. Nope.

Thanks for your input.

Kindest respects

Lags

Warmest respects

Lags

I cant answer your emotion based question, as we've not had an over abundance of cars running into schools, and Samsung phones exploding in children's pockets, but I will try.

No, texting and driving has not been the cause of mass killings, but they have been the cause of mass deaths. About 11 a day. That's about 3,696 deaths annually. Compare that to 7,000 dead in school shootings since 2000. However, that 7,000 figure is false. That number is false because what constitutes a "school shooting" and "Mass Shooting" has been changed. Now it is considered a school shooting if a weapon discharges in a school zone.

But wait Wardaddy, that makes sense though. Yeah, I suppose so, if you're forgetting that some neighborhoods fall inside of those school zones, making an unrelated event like a suicide a "School Shooting". Its a "Mass Shooting" if 2 people are injured (not killed).

On my side this is not an emotional question but just a straight forward one.

Kindest respects

Lags

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Screw that mess. Nope.

Because school shootings are so much more prevalent than texting while driving accidents or robberies.

You need to do your own research instead of CNN or MSNBC doing it for you.

Funny, I don't watch either. I have a major distrust for the MSM. I've been a free thinker since before Fake News was.a thing, should try it some time...

I stopped watching the MSM as a news source 6 years ago when Obama was in office. I know a propaganda piece when I see one.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Screw that mess. Nope.

Thanks for your input.

Kindest respects

Lags

Warmest respects

Lags

On my side this is not an emotional question but just a straight forward one.

Kindest respects

Lags

It is because "children" is purposefully used to tug at the heartstrings.

I dislike that tactic because a real nasty man once wrote:

"The State must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the Government is perceived to be working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."
edit on 26-3-2018 by Wardaddy454 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join