It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1791... Time for a change?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: slipdigskywalker

Yet they are allowed.

How'd that happen?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

you didnt read that at all. This why i lurk. You guys dont deny ignorance anymore you seem to champion it.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: slipdigskywalker
a reply to: Lysergic
Now that is purely ignorant statement there. I asked for if there was a reason to inform me. I didn't ask for a reason too make me feel good. I ask for the reason to know if there is one.

I will state myself that there is no reason under your amendent that they should
be allowed.

Perhaps your misunderstanding of the Constitution is the crux of the matter here. As explained numerous times, by numerous people (including myself) the Constitution does not list things that are "allowed" it lists things that are NOT allowed to be done by the government. That is a big difference. If the Constitution does not state the government is prevented from doing something, then the default understanding is that it is acceptable.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

That is why I asked if there was a reason?//

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Is this your definition of the constition? Clearly it states You are ALLOWED to keep and Bear Arms

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

you didnt read that at all. This why i lurk. You guys dont deny ignorance anymore you seem to champion it.

I didn't read what? Please explain that statement.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
What stops some of you people from becoming more open minded and asking for a change.

People are so motivated by fear that owning firearms supersedes children's lives.

Some people are so motivated by fear that they give up all their freedoms for false securities.

Works both ways there Way

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   

That is also another way of saying you have no idea yourself.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Is this your definition of the constition? Clearly it states You are ALLOWED to keep and Bear Arms

And finished with the instructions to the government, that it SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. That is a restriction of the government.

Or did you miss that part?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Where did I even challenge that?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Where did I even challenge that?

Because you clearly do not understand the target audience for the Constitution. The target audience, the group that it is talking to is the GOVERNMENT....not the people. This is a 180 change from all similar documents prior, that outlined what the government allowed people to do. This one say we the people are telling the government what they cannot do...and in this case they cannot infringe upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms. That right is inalienable, and is bestowed upon birth. The government is restricted from preventing the people from exercising that right.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

For your edification:

The Constitution has three main functions. First it creates a national government consisting of a legislative, an executive, and a judicial branch, with a system of checks and balances among the three branches. Second, it divides power between the federal government and the states. And third, it protects various individual liberties of American citizens.

3. Protection of Personal Liberty

The third main purpose of the Constitution is to protect the personal liberty of citizens from intrusions by the government. A few of these protections are found in the main body of the Constitution itself. For example, Article I, sections 9 and 10 prohibits both ex post facto laws, which punish conduct that was not illegal at the time it was performed, and bills of attainder which single out individuals or groups for punishment..

Most Constitutional protections for individual rights are contained in the Bill of Rights, which constitute the first ten amendments to the Constitution. These amendments were adopted shortly after the adoption of the Constitution itself, in response to state concerns about the Constitution’s lack of protections for individual rights. The protections of these amendments were originally interpreted to apply only against the federal government, but the Supreme Court has since ruled that most of them were made applicable to the states by passage of the Fourteenth Amendment due process clause after the Civil War. The Fourteenth Amendment also contains the equal protection clause, which protects citizens from discrimination by the states on the basis of race, sex and other characteristics.

4. Permanent Protections of a Constitution

In a democracy without a written constitution, such as the United Kingdom, the legislature may pass laws granting or taking away any rights, or even changing the structure of the government itself. A Constitution is more difficult to alter, and the framers of the American Constitution made it especially difficult to amend. An amendment must first pass both houses of Congress by a two-thirds majority and must then be ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the states. In a sense, this makes the Constitution an anti-majoritarian document.

By binding the hands of future generations, it prevents a majority from granting tyrannical powers to the government in a time of crises. It also prevents a majority from easily taking away the rights of minorities. And it prevents those in office from holding on to power by increasing their terms in office.

A document that is so difficult to amend can become obsolete over time, if it is too detailed and inflexible. For the most part, however, the Constitution is written in terms general or abstract enough to retain a core set of values yet be amenable to changing interpretations as called for by the times.

I. THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION

Maybe this will help your difficulty in understanding the purpose of the document.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I never said anything about your rights to bear arms. It was about type of arms. Or did you miss that?

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

For your edification:

The Constitution has three main functions. First it creates a national government consisting of a legislative, an executive, and a judicial branch, with a system of checks and balances among the three branches. Second, it divides power between the federal government and the states. And third, it protects various individual liberties of American citizens.

The third main purpose of the Constitution is to protect the personal liberty of citizens from intrusions by the government. A few of these protections are found in the main body of the Constitution itself. For example, Article I, sections 9 and 10 prohibits both ex post facto laws, which punish conduct that was not illegal at the time it was performed, and bills of attainder which single out individuals or groups for punishment..

Most Constitutional protections for individual rights are contained in the Bill of Rights, which constitute the first ten amendments to the Constitution. These amendments were adopted shortly after the adoption of the Constitution itself, in response to state concerns about the Constitution’s lack of protections for individual rights. The protections of these amendments were originally interpreted to apply only against the federal government, but the Supreme Court has since ruled that most of them were made applicable to the states by passage of the Fourteenth Amendment due process clause after the Civil War. The Fourteenth Amendment also contains the equal protection clause, which protects citizens from discrimination by the states on the basis of race, sex and other characteristics.

In a democracy without a written constitution, such as the United Kingdom, the legislature may pass laws granting or taking away any rights, or even changing the structure of the government itself. A Constitution is more difficult to alter, and the framers of the American Constitution made it especially difficult to amend. An amendment must first pass both houses of Congress by a two-thirds majority and must then be ratified by the legislatures of three-fourths of the states. In a sense, this makes the Constitution an anti-majoritarian document.

By binding the hands of future generations, it prevents a majority from granting tyrannical powers to the government in a time of crises. It also prevents a majority from easily taking away the rights of minorities. And it prevents those in office from holding on to power by increasing their terms in office.

A document that is so difficult to amend can become obsolete over time, if it is too detailed and inflexible. For the most part, however, the Constitution is written in terms general or abstract enough to retain a core set of values yet be amenable to changing interpretations as called for by the times.

Maybe this will help your difficulty in understanding the purpose of the document.

. From your quote A document that is so difficult to amend can become obsolete over time, if it is too detailed and inflexible. For the most part, however, the Constitution is written in terms general or abstract enough to retain a core set of values yet be amenable to changing interpretations as called for by the times

edit on 26-3-2018 by slipdigskywalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

the 1755 dictionary says the same thing though as the 1828 dictionary albeit in slightly different words, why are you focusing on that part, even the older one you used says the same thing in multiple ways, the one you keep focusing on is not used in the context you keep implying.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere

the 1755 dictionary says the same thing though as the 1828 dictionary albeit in slightly different words, why are you focusing on that part, even the older one you used says the same thing in multiple ways, the one you keep focusing on is not used in the context you keep implying.

Yes, it is used in that context. A dictionary definition typically includes the multiple ways people use that word (or phrase). "Well regulated" in that context of the amendment does indeed mean well trained as it applies to the militia.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

For your edification:

. From your quote A document that is so difficult to amend can become obsolete over time, if it is too detailed and inflexible. For the most part, however, the Constitution is written in terms general or abstract enough to retain a core set of values yet be amenable to changing interpretations as called for by the times

No. That is not what the US Constitution is for, and you would have seen that if you'd read through this thread and seen one of my earlier posts:

The US Constitution is a document that secures the rights of the citizens of the United States of America, gives structure to and control of the US Government.

That is ALL it is suppose to be for.

As stated before: the last time the US Constitution was used to try and control the US Population, was the 18th Amendment, the banning of the sale, manufacture and transportation of alcohol. Which was a disaster and why it was repealed 14 years later in 1933.

Here in the US, if you want to "control" people and things, you pass Laws. Said Laws can then be bounced against the US Supreme court, who decides if the Law(s) are violating our Constitutional Rights.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Yes, it is used in that context. A dictionary definition typically includes the multiple ways people use that word (or phrase). "Well regulated" in that context of the amendment does indeed mean well trained as it applies to the militia.

*sighs* one of those types huh, making things drag on by deflection and nitpicking is pretty rude you know.

at this point i'm not going to continue to play along with your nitpicking games. bye
edit on 26-3-2018 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

*sighs* one of those types huh, making things drag on by deflection and nitpicking is pretty rude you know.

at this point i'm not going to continue to play along with your nitpicking games. bye

Not nit-picking, merely stating the facts. You call it nit-picking and deflection since it does not follow your own narrative, and therefore, you claim it is not worth your time to be educated.

Typical response from the willfully ignorant.

edit on 3/26/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join