It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: 30kg Of Plutonium "Missing" From British Nuclear Site

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   
An audit at a British nuclear site has revealed over 30 kilograms of missing plutonium. The missing material at the Sellafield installation was discovered in an annual audit last year. British Nuclear Fuels, which runs the plant, is expected to claim that the loss is only on paper and is an accounting issue. The amount missing could be used to make 7-8 nuclear weapons.

www.news.com.au
SOME 30kg of plutonium, enough for seven or eight nuclear bombs, is listed as "unaccounted for" at the British nuclear site at Sellafied, a newspaper reported today.

The annual audit of nuclear material at all of Britain's civil nuclear installations is expected to reveal that the quantity of plutonium was classified as "material unaccounded for" last year, The Times reported.

British Nuclear Fuels, which operates the plant at Sellafield in north-west England, is expected to dismiss the figures as a "paper loss" and an "accounting issue", according to the newspaper.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That is alot of plutonium which is usually measured in grams to be missing. If indeed this material did exist and is really gone, what are the implications. I lean toward an accounting issue as if terrorist had actually seized the material they would have made use of it in perhaps a dirty bomb or the like.

[edit on 2/17/05 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:45 AM
link   
It's gotta be just an accounting issue.
With all the past problems are Sellafield it's just not the sort of place you could walk into and take the stuff. Just think of the weight of the shielding too, hardly gonna fit in the pocket and sneak past the guards

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
It's gotta be just an accounting issue.
With all the past problems are Sellafield it's just not the sort of place you could walk into and take the stuff. Just think of the weight of the shielding too, hardly gonna fit in the pocket and sneak past the guards

That depends, a concerted effort to steal it a small amount at a time may have yielded better results. If it was an inside job, the accounting could be fudged over a long period of time. However, I agree its most likely an accounting issue.

What other problems? I keep track of the issues here in the states, but I take it that this plant has had "issues" before?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Sellafield has had many issues over the years with "leaks" of contaminants to the immediate area, many protests at the gates etc.

I think it's that strange glow on the horizon after dark that has folks worried

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
i live in britain and i worried alot about a nuclear plant called
windscale(remember that nightmare place lol) well everything
went quite about windscale,hooray i thought .then sellafield
started getting bad press and guess what, it turns out that
windscale still exists it just change names to sellafield because of
bad press...wonder what they will name it next...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Skynews was stating this morning that the reports are being denied. Probably accounting issuse, someone is trying to "fiddle the books", so to speak.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Sellafield has misplaced nowhere near enough plutonium to make 7-8 nuclear weapons. i heard this this morning but later heard that the amount missing was an acceptable amount that could have been wrongly counted.

Im trying to find some links to back me up so sit tight...

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:03 AM
link   

It's not unusual for the accounting process to indicate material unaccounted for

Again, it's not an indication of any missing material."
Department Of Trade And Industry

BBC Science Correspondent Sue Nelson said the company is expected to play down any fears by saying that any unaccounted materials will be "within the standards of allowed measurement inaccuracies".

[edit on 17/2/2005 by MickeyDee]

new topics

top topics

join