It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will we ever have a Black President?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I think Condi Rice may have an excellent shot at being both the first woman President and first black President.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I think Powell could probably have done it if he chose to run for President. I'm not sure that he would now, but at one time I think he could have made a successful bid. Barak's one to watch, though. And I agree that it's more likely that the first Black president will be Republican.

I'm just wondering how long it will be before a WOMAN can become president of the United States. I suspect it'll be after we've broken several barriers (gotten a Jewish President, Hispanic, Black, and possibly Asian or American Indian male president.)

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazerLordz
How about Mike Shinoda for Secretary of State?

U mean Mike Shinoda of Linkin park, Sorry !!but FlyersFan said qualified.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
Let me get this straight..

So, if you are a black person who comes to power, you are labeled a Uncle tom, right? Calling Rice, Powell and Thomas tokens is unacceptable. They are not local comissioners who can have their palms greased. They achieved their stature.

There are 34 blacks in the 108th Congress. Is this not good representation? (insert loud crickets here:lol

Maybe it will be the first female and black president if Condi Rice runs.

How many of those 34 Blacks are Republican? That was my question. **Crikets STILL Chirping***

Clarence Thomas was grossley unqualifed to be a Supreme Court Judge.
Condi Rice went from Academic to token appointment......unless writing thesis papers on how to fight the Russians in a cold war that was over 20 years before she got her first government job is a qualification...then she's tops!!

And Colin Powell is the only one out of the bunch approaching legitimacy; but the post that has the US face to the worlds bargaining tables should never be for a first time diplomat.
All three were clearly token appointments to add a rainbow factor to the Bush Crime Family pallette.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by JADESTONE
Its time for democrates to do some serious soul searching.

The party that has put blacks in the highest position have been the republicans tho. Secretaries of state and national intelligence advisors along with a supreme court justice.

Perhaps Barack Obama could provide the gasp of fresh air democrates so badly need.

He stands no chance of running for anything other than what he has no, for now. He's a neophyte, who's done nothing but seem energetic and get elected. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential, but the democrats will probably burn him out with the public if they start pushing him now.

Does he have a chance of becoming the first black president of America?

Doubtful. If the republicans get ina sticky situation they'll just put in a ticket with rice as Vp. If they're in real trouble they've got the nuke option; a McCain/Powell ticket. That'll probably happen before obama has been around long enough to run for president.

Why can't we have a normal person tho' instead of a dude that looks like an old white man with darker skin tone?

Wtf the guys black, what he's not dark enough to count as a black president? He's an uncle tom because he's light skinned for a black person? Or am I misreading and you are saying this tounge in cheek?

carseller4
Democrats have always kept blacks in the background, while Republicans have put them in positions of great power.

Lets not get too crazy with the weirdness of it all, the republican party was vehemently anti-desegregation, and even went so far as to incorporate the anti-desegrations democrats. And the republicans'are usually the ones who are inanely 'anti-pc' and also anti-afirmative action. There's racists on both sides of the aisle, but the republicans are the ones who have, in more recent times, put blacks into positions one would've expected the democrats to have.

FlyersFan
Isn't he mulatto?

Yikes. People actually use that still?

If so, then it is impossible for him to
be the first black president, because he isn't black.

Thats absurd. The man is black. If it was the 20's he'd be sitting at black only counters. Race has no biological reality, only a socio-cultural one. He self identifies as black, he is identified by others as black, therefore he is black.

His father was black and from Kenya.

If your dad if from kenya, of all places, then you are black. Period. Thats the way it works in the culture.

He isn't black. Dr. Rice is.

Does her geneaology stand up to the same criticism? What does obama self-identify as? There is no 'part black part white' box on the census, its one or the other. which do you think he checks off? I understand what you are saying to a degree, he's 'part black' or something. Thing is, the 'black community' accepts 'part blacks' as 'black', ipso facto, he's black.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I agree with byrd I would have voted for Powell myself, But when it comes to color and gender, people has not over come these issues yet in America.

funny but truth.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
at one time I think he could have made a successful bid.

I suspect that he is actually as unambitious as he is made out to be. Good soldier and all.

[

(gotten a Jewish President, Hispanic, Black, and possibly Asian or American Indian male president.)

I think a jewish person in the executive office, either vp or P would be the more likely one, but it might all be turned upside down in Clinton runs in 2008. Thats basically what it comes down to.

Amerindian? I'd be surprised if one ever got elected to the presidency, especially anyone with 'connections' to the actual Sovreign Nations/Reservations. I suspect someone born on a reservation can't become president in fact, being, technically, a foreigner. But even so, even a person with amerindian genealogy would be under legitimate pressure to do something about the reservtation and native nations situation.

Tho I'd think that someone who has 'loose' affiliations with a nation, ie non-genealogical or very weak geneaological affiliations, might even have already become president no? Was T.Roosevelt invited into any of the tribes? And I know lots of people make far fetched claims to amerindian ancestry, perhaps one of them might run as such.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Powell would have been good in 2000, but i think he personally isn't to thrilled about how the GOP is being run. He had his chance, but he is too moderate now for the GOP.

I doubt Consevative republicans would really vote for a black president, there is still rpejudice today in the south

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Why is it whenever a member of a minority in this country is able to successfully break out of the sterotype and show that the 'American Dream'
is within reach of anyone, suddenly labeled a 'Turncoat, Uncle Sam or Traitor to their race?
What does this do to the mind of the young, black, latino, native american, asian that dares to dream of a better life?
Are they to stifle their creative thoughts because they will be misjudged and labeled as a traitor instead of a roll model? What does this say about the society that saddles their young with such idiotic burdens?

I am very proud of my heritage(Irish/Welch/ Native American) and I am
just as proud of my achievements as an American with free will and the right to decide my own fate. Don't you dare try to put me back on the
Reservation!!

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Itor may not have a possibility of a black president,let'sforget barackobama,and republican and democrats. but this black president to be has alotof hurdles to cross,let's take for example the biblical southern belt that voted bush in his 2nd term,they are overtly racists,and will never will want to see a black or any minority over their heads. then we may have the riseof the murderous KKK,whomay want to assasinate him,oh boy there'salot of factors to figure out.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
When will the country have an Italian President???

Or even another Catholic President? When JFK was running, people were against him because he was catholic, they figured he'd listen to the pope before the people.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
There will be a black president very soon, in 2008! On top of that, we will have our first female president ever as well. Can you guess who I’m talking about? Dr. Rice for President!

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
What does obama self-identify as?

I consider him black, however his book, which I referenced
a link to on page one of this thread, says that he is mulatto.
His black father abandoned him. His white mother and her
family raised him in Hawaii. He said he 'struggled' to try to
fit in the black world. I haven't read the book, but I think
it would be a really good one to get and read. It sounds
interesting.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

FlyersFan
Isn't he mulatto?

Yikes. People actually use that still?

Yep. 9 - 10 years ago when we were adopting our daughter
we lived in Alabama. We were open to adoption of 'other race'
children and the state definately had 'mulatto' as a term being
used during the adoption process. The term is also used by
people giving references and editorial on Obama's book.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

When will the country have an Italian President???

Or even another Catholic President? When JFK was running, people were against him because he was catholic, they figured he'd listen to the pope before the people.

Interesting never thought on that angle, so do you think Kerry lost because he was Catholic.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by JADESTONE
Interesting never thought on that angle, so do you think Kerry lost because he was Catholic.

Kerry was Catholic because he thought it would get him votes. Catholics, who typically vote democrat showed how much they believed his "faith". 53% of Catholics voted for Bush.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Kerry was Catholic because he thought it would get him votes. Catholics, who typically vote democrat showed how much they believed his "faith". 53% of Catholics voted for Bush.

Taking a pro abortion stance harmed his prospect with the faith. Is that what you ment.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'm a white guy, but I find the term 'mulatto' more archaic than 'Uncle Tom'. Selling out is easy to do, and we see guys like Bill Cosby who are actually much, much smarter than their position in society will allow them to appear. Cosby, now there's a black American I'd vote for in a heartbeat. Zack De La Rocha comes to mind also. :^)

Mullato? So if a guy is not Kunta Kinte then he's not black? That's silly. People who promote memes like this one would alienate blacks who have whiter skin tones. Any man or woman who is black enough to have experienced racism is a black American, particularly if they choose to self-identify as such. Of course, being white and not really experiencing racism kind of places me outside the loop.

It's the content of a person's character that matters. Didn't I read somehwere that the NWO has something on Colin Powell from some Army massacre or something? He is clearly a low-key sell out. Condi Rice? You must be joking. This woman is an administrator, not any kind of candidate for the Executive office. There are much better choices. Hell, Oprah is a better choice.

A native American president? Hell yes I'd vote for him/her, but they're just as capable of selling out as anybody else. Lots of indians sold their tribes out.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Perhaps Barack Obama could provide the gasp of fresh air democrates so badly need.

Something tells me the theoretical "out of the woodwork Christians" that supposedly voted against gay marriage, stem cell research, etc. aren't too likely to elect a black president.

Not to mention, his name sounds way too much like "Osama" to be elected by the masses. You may think it a minor point, but it won't matter to people when at the polls...it'll be there in their minds...

Powell would have had a great shot at it (before the WMD mess), but I'm guessing he didn't like the prospects of assassination that the first black President is likely to face. It's a sad point, but all it takes is one lone lunatic with a good shot, and warped ideals.... It's likely not far off, but I think we're more likely to have a woman first (and it better not be Hillary!
)

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Think about this, Dr. Condi Rice vs Senator Hillary Clinton in 2008.
VP Cheney will not run because of his health issues, he may not even finish this term. The Democrats need a serious candidate to bring them back from
the dark deeps of despair. The hottest rising star under the Republican
banner at the moment is Dr. Rice. Powell will not run because his wife want let him. The Democrats just named Dean as their new party Leader, this is how desperate they are. The only claim to any decent legacy they have right now is the Clinton years. Everyone knows Hillary pulled the puppet strings behind that administration. The Demo's tried to play the rookie card with John Edwards last time and we all how how that panned out. I'm telling you it will be Rice vs Clinton and Rice will win simply because she will carry the South.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join