It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18yrs old - too young to own guns - yet 16yrs old - Old enough to stipulate gun policy?? - madness

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Still less than deaths by vehicle.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Admitted

So you are arguing with taking away a basic unalienable right to stop something you just admitted won't be stopped?

It sounds to me like your argument is:

I know it won't stop the murdering, but I think we should severely restrict if not remove your right to self-defense entirely because it will make me feel better about the murders that will continue to take place.

It's all about feelings.

Please leave any rational thought at the door.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

So you are arguing with taking away a basic unalienable right to stop something you just admitted won't be stopped?

I know it won't stop the murdering, but I think we should severely restrict if not remove your right to self-defense entirely because it will make me feel better about the murders that will continue to take place.

Let me retrain your ears then
:

Banning guns, or severely restricting them, won't stop the murdering (although, it WILL put a big dent in it). We have the right to self-defense, but if we are honest...what do we need a gun for except to defend ourselves from those with guns? Less guns = better prospects for everyone.

It isn't about just "feeling better". We don't need guns. I own a gun. I don't need it. If you pay me enough, you can have it. It's a luxury.

We need to change our whole mindset. As a country.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Do you believe in the 1st Amendment?

Do you like free expression, free speech?

Many of us see the 2nd Amendment as just as important as the 1st Amendment.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted

:

Banning guns, or severely restricting them, won't stop the murdering (although, it WILL put a big dent in it). We have the right to self-defense, but if we are honest...what do we need a gun for except to defend ourselves from those with guns? Less guns = better prospects for everyone.

It isn't about just "feeling better". We don't need guns. I own a gun. I don't need it. If you pay me enough, you can have it. It's a luxury.

So my wife will be able to defend herself against a home invader with a...hairbrush? Get rid of all crime, provide assurances it will never come back, and THEN you can have my guns.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Do you believe in the 1st Amendment?

Do you like free expression, free speech?

Many of us see the 2nd Amendment as just as important as the 1st Amendment.

Without 2A, 1A would have been gone long ago...

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Sure, free speech is important, here we are.

The second amendment too. But, fairly certain that was to protect us against oppressive governments. Not crazies in schools.

It's a different world now, you know? 250 years-ish on?

We need a new mindset. Really. These things need to be re-thought and re-written.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

So you'd casually dismiss a right.

I hope you never try to fight censorship. You might look hypocritical, defending your "right".

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

:

So my wife will be able to defend herself against a home invader with a...hairbrush? Get rid of all crime, provide assurances it will never come back, and THEN you can have my guns.

If someone happens to come to your home to assault your wife...I'm sorry...but, do you know how far-fetched this is? How rare?

No one can solve anything. Her having a gun...will help...nothing. The intruder would still come. The likelihood of serious injury would still be there...

?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Should have seen me back in the day...up against Tipper Gore.

Call me anything but casual.

ETA: It's taken 250 years....casual happens today...you know?

edit on 3/24/2018 by Admitted because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Should have seen me back in the day...up against Tipper Gore.

Call me anything but casual.

I see anyone who so easily dismissing the second Amendment as someone no better than a book-burner.

Sorry.

But if we don't protect our rights, even rights we might not agree upon, then we'll surely lose them.

If I see the 2nd Amendment as legitimate as the 1st, then anyone I see going against the 2nd I would describe as anti-rights, a censor.

A book burner.

link   
What is our defense against an oppressive government today?

It isn't guns, I can tell you that.

link   

Well, burn a book and see my fury...

You're not hearing me DB

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Well, burn a book and see my fury...

You're not hearing me DB

I hear you quite well.

You would dismiss my rights as guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment. You are anti-rights.

You are no different than someone who would promote book burning.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Your rights are MY rights.

Do you understand that?

We are both American.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Your rights are MY rights.

Do you understand that?

We are both American.

Yet you'd infringe upon my rights as guaranteed by the 2nd because you don't think I should have that right.

You are no different than the person whom wants "Huck Finn" banned from the library because it offends you.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Ok.

*big breath*

I can't infringe upon your rights. Just as you can't infringe upon mine. We have the same rights. /shrug.

Why are we arguing? I want a change in the status-quo and you don't?

Ok...

*big breath*...

You know these kids today are going to live longer than both of us? And maybe they do have a reason for saying what they are saying? And why are we so goddamned clingy to a document written centuries ago?

We need to grow.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Scary stuff!

OOOGHA BOOGA!

LOL

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

And why are we so goddamned clingy to a document written centuries ago?

We need to grow.

I swore an oath to protect and defend that document.

I take that kind of thing seriously.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   

THAT'S fair.

I can't argue with that. With that I can only hope, and plead, that you see it as an evolving document.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join