It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18yrs old - too young to own guns - yet 16yrs old - Old enough to stipulate gun policy?? - madness

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Well, guns kill people under 18 just as much as older people. So I’d say they have a vital interest

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
hm and maybe men who can't even get pregnant should stop trying to make laws about abortion?

yeah i didn't think so

What about the ones that nearly died but lived. Don't they get a say?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Are you saying men have no say in the life they bring into this world? Intimacy is a contract by both man and woman to raise the result. If she or he does not want to get pregnant they have contraceptives for that

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yeah well George Soros tells me that they need to be 21 to buy guns, but only 17 to be able to vote.

Only if they vote the liberal candidate.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

Well as a 16 year old boy I love guns-because violent video games.

Okay that's a lie, but to play my broken record again-hunting rifles? fine. protection pistols? fine. Anything that can stop a white rhino? no dice.

A hunting rifle would be needed to stop a rhino.

An AR-15 would just piss it off.

A classic example of posting about something you know nothing about.

I'm not taking on a Rhino with anything less than a Barrett.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Are you saying a 16 year old does not have the right to have an opinion on guns?

They can have an opinion. It's just not a very informed/educated opinion.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Saiker

31 yrs ago when i was 9 a robber stuck a gun to my head. I was powerless and scared. He later beat my mother with that same pistol. I completely understand and understood the fear i felt. I lean to the right on my politics and feel guns are needed to protect us from tyranny. But don't pretend a child has no skin in this argument.

Good policy not to let your fear make choices for you.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Well, guns kill people under 18 just as much as older people. So I’d say they have a vital interest

Having an interest and being able to form an informed opinion are not the same thing. How many of your major life choices would you entrust to a 16 just because they may potentially, though unlikely, have some interest?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Sixteen yr. old's protested the Vietnam War.

They were wrong then, too.

These kids have grown-up with the threat of school shootings since the mass shooting at Columbine!

Mass shootings were happening before Columbine.

They have every right to protest gun violence since they are directly affected by it!

More people than just these students are affected by violence.

These young people have more courage than our law makers. It's sad how many school shootings and lost lives had to take place

Pop quiz, how many school students in the suburbs vs. kids in inner cities? No internet queries allowed.

How many mass shootings does it take until the lives of citizen's are more important than campaign contributions from special interest groups?

"How many abortions does it take until the lives of the unborn are more important than campaign contributions from special interest groups?"

Unless you're heartless, I can guarantee if a gun supporter's child was gunned down and killed, their perspective on the current gun laws would change.

That's stupid. The problem is mental health and a government bureaucracy that didn't vet the buyer. The gun laws would have worked if they had been enforced.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Are you saying a 16 year old does not have the right to have an opinion on guns?

They can have an opinion. It's just not a very informed/educated opinion.

I think lying in a closet at school in your dying friend's blood is a pretty damn good education, and you don't need to be 21 to figure out in that moment that the laws have gone haywire.

: @@ :

edit on 3/24/2018 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Because they're parroting talking points without a thought of their own, for the most part.

Or maybe they are sick of reading about high school students being murdered by high school students (or former students) who purchased guns legally and seeing nothing done about it? Perhaps some of them survived a shooting?

I think it's good to open up a debate, discuss the issues no matter what one's age is. It will also be good if this opens up a debate about anti-depressant and other mind altering drugs being prescribed for anything and everything. Because, IMO, those issues are intertwined.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
The issue I have with the gun debate in relation to the mass killings is that we are not even addressing the real issue in the first place. All these people out marching in the streets are doing is what you call in psychology classic compartmentalization. If you listen to what they are saying, the don't actually want to address the problem they just want to reduce it in scale to the point where it won't penetrate the bubble of the fake reality they want to create for themselves under the fallacy that the universe isn't a violent place. 17 people get shot up with an assault rifle it is going to make the national news and give you the feels. One person gets stabbed in the throat, you're probably not going to hear about it and you can go about your day like everything is fine.

We need to be focusing on the individuals that are perpetrating these acts. Find out why this is happening and identify it early and get them the help they need. We need to make the focus about the person and not the object. I care about all the people involved in these horrible situations - including the perpetrator - and am equally disturbed whether there are 17 fatalities or merely 2. We need to start thinking beyond the self to solve this issue. The entire gun control debate has become extremely myopic and self-serving.

And I'm saying this as an individual that has a very strong dislike for firearms and support most reasonable gun control measures. I just fail to see the mass killing epidemic as merely a gun control issue. It is not at all. I believe it has more to do with how toxic and unnatural our society has become - which is why we have so many otherwise seemingly "normal" individuals malfunctioning and carrying out heinous acts of violence. However, the main reason this is not being addressed is because the people who hold the influence and power want that unnatural state because it is how they derive their power and control.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

My 7-year-old has opinions. Are you saying he ought to decide policy for the entire country?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

" Do the marchers not understand this or do they just have deeper ulterior motives? "

In Actuality , they Have No Original Thoughts on the Subject , just what they have been Told to Believe and Say by the Adult Leftist Progressive Liberal Marxist Philosophy that is Hell Bent on Destroying American Freedoms . Gullibility does not practice Age Discrimination , it is a Sign of Human Weakness if not Addressed Properly as a Character Flaw .

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Saiker
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Throwing out ridiculous memes and the rights inability to legislate reasonable action to protect children is why these school shootings are occurring. I don't pretend to know the answers but I do know memes don't help anyone especially to those of us sending our children to school every day. Mental health and biometric trigger locks would be a moajor step in the right direction in my opinion.

Just because you don't like the question doesn't make it a "ridiculous meme." It's a legitimate question. You want changes in the laws? Fine, what changes do you propose? And for the record, the left hasn't done a damn thing to create "reasonable legislation" either. As I recall, when they had control of Congress and the White House their main priority was making money for insurance companies.

Mental health screening? The government won't even provide mental health care for veterans, they're certainly not going to provide it for everyone else. And I don't think there will ever be a trigger lock made that could stand up to a five minute YouTube video.

I don't have a solution to mass shootings at schools either, except maybe home schooling. But I'm pretty sure trying to make a law to prevent something that is already illegal isn't going to be effective.

If kids want to march to make lawmakers listen, give them something to listen to.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Is this why despite Columbine among other mass shootings didn't teach us its time to put security afforded to the adults in Washington in our schools. Our most precious assets in America are still unprotected in comparison. Is it because they are children and unlike adults, they don't deserve a safe place to grow.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Maybe.. Many 18 year old's aren't responsible to own a gun is because they aren't half as responsible as the 16 year old's that fought in World War 2.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Our lawmakers haven't done anything. Its shameful our children have to march and beg them too. Right and the left are complicit its time for Washington to listen to its people.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

That and the two income family, video games, violent movies and the slaughter of the unborn has diminished the value of life.
edit on 24-3-2018 by Saiker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Saiker
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

That and the two income family, video games, violent movies and the slaughter of the unborn has diminished the value of life.

That's why Japan has so many mass shootings!

Pesky vidya games, I tell ya.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join