It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

18yrs old - too young to own guns - yet 16yrs old - Old enough to stipulate gun policy?? - madness

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They don't hunt in Florida? That's weird because here's where you can get your Florida hunting license.
myfwc.com...

Also, there were "March for Our Lives" marches and demonstrations in every single state. So what parts of the country were they missing? Here's a map of them:
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: djz3ro

Maybe....collectors. Stamp culture too. And knife culture.

People don't spend vast amounts of money modding and customising their stamps or knives though, and neither of those things are described as penis extensions...

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

So you're saying they are like other culture clubs, they come and they go.

They come and go, they come and go...

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Well as a 16 year old boy I love guns-because violent video games.

Okay that's a lie, but to play my broken record again-hunting rifles? fine. protection pistols? fine. Anything that can stop a white rhino? no dice.

A hunting rifle would be needed to stop a rhino.

An AR-15 would just piss it off.

A classic example of posting about something you know nothing about.

You were the only one who mentioned an AR15, I don't think you reading something that isn't there is a reflection on anyone's ability to post other than your own

I think you'll be surprised how informed a lot of these teenagers on the march are. I remember helping out with the Anti-War protests that preceded the invasion of Iraq. I led a bunch of protesters up to a school that were refusing to let their pupils protest, our protest outside the school led to us being joined by 5th and 6th year pupils (15-18 year olds). I spoke to some of them as we made our way to the town centre to rejoin the big protest, they knew a lot about the issues and had researched both sides of the argument. Kids aren't as dumb as you guys make out, at least here in the UK. And those I've known from the US when they were that age were no less informed.

I brought up AR-15 because that is what is needed to be banned for all school shootings to stop and Ameritopia to begin, according to the left. It is the most horrible weapon EVA... it can bring down a white rhino according to you!!!

Speaking of ability to post, look at what I had to respond to... your original post.

Okay that's a lie, but to play my broken record again-hunting rifles? fine. protection pistols? fine. Anything that can stop a white rhino? no dice.

Go back to public school and demand a tax credit as a refund, if you indeed work for a living and are not just another one on the dole.

For your second paragraph, I merely have to quote Ronald Reagan.

"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so"

Of course, he wasn't from the UK like you are, so you probably don't know the name.

edit on 25-3-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I didn't know 16 year olds were not allowed an opinion..huh, also never knew 16 year olds were law makers..learn something new every day

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Gee, there's a thought.

These kids hearts are in the right place, too bad their minds didn't follow.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Speaking of ability to post, look at what I had to respond to... your original post.

Go back to public school and demand a tax credit as a refund, if you indeed work for a living and are not just another one on the dole.

Go back and see who really wrote the post you speak of, then eat your words my friend

For your second paragraph, I merely have to quote Ronald Reagan.

"It's not that liberals aren't smart, it's just that so much of what they know isn't so"

Of course, he wasn't from the UK like you are, so you probably don't know the name.

Oh and as a child of the 80's born in the late 70's I remember Reagan.
edit on 25/3/18 by djz3ro because: Added an extra bit...

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: paraphi
Are you saying a 16 year old does not have the right to have an opinion on guns?

They can have an opinion. It's just not a very informed/educated opinion.

You have no way of knowing that. You don’t live their lives, you have no idea how much thought and research they may have put into an issue.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: craterman

There seems to be a fair number of idiots that do not understand the the right to bear arms is for the defense (self, state and country) against enemies.

Look in the mirror when you start calling historians and judges on the Supreme Court idiots. The purpose of the second amendment was clearly meant to arm an established militia.

The 2008 Supreme Court case District of Columbia v. Heller shows definitively that the Second Amendment is about an archaic issue relevant to 1790, not to 2012.

The Second Amendment reads as follows: “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

The purpose of the Second Amendment was to prevent the new Federal Government established in 1789 from disarming the state militias and replacing them with a Federal standing army. It was a concern that was relevant perhaps for a few years around the birth of the country. It is irrelevant today. Americans do not rely on state militias in 2012 for our freedom from the federal government.

Overcoming Delusions About the Second Amendment

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I am guessing the ones you are seeing really don't have much experience with it, no.

The ones who do haven't been invited to that party because they likely blame the shooter, not the tool he used.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vdogg

Are you saying a 16 year old does not have the right to have an opinion on guns?

You have no way of knowing that. You don’t live their lives, you have no idea how much thought and research they may have put into an issue.

Hi, I am David Hogg. I am smart enough and mature enough to lecture you on what I think the gun laws should be, but not smart enough or mature enough to own one myself.

That position does not indicate a great deal of thought, frankly.

Do you think my tweenage nephew who is too young to drive should be telling all the rest of us what the legal speed limits ought to be?
edit on 25-3-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

More worrisome is the fact that far too many who should know better are giving this child a bully pulpit that is, frankly, undeserved.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

More worrisome is the fact that far too many who should know better are giving this child a bully pulpit that is, frankly, undeserved.

Then they read off all the victims' names as if all the victims are supportive of their position that they don't articulate (no actual policy demands beyond "change" which is very Nazi if you've studied the movement), but at least one victim's brother is mad because he's sure his ROTC sister who lost her life trying to help evacuate other students, putting herself in harm's way to do it, would not at all be supportive of their message and wouldn't want her name used like that.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
Sixteen yr. old's protested the Vietnam War. The draft would eventually affect them and Vietnam was never a threat to the United States! Mass school shootings also directly affect students of every age including school personnel. These kids have grown-up with the threat of school shootings since the mass shooting at Columbine! They have every right to protest gun violence since they are directly affected by it! These young people have more courage than our law makers. It's sad how many school shootings and lost lives had to take place until the fire was lit under our representatives to start listening to the people.

How many mass shootings does it take until the lives of citizen's are more important than campaign contributions from special interest groups? Unless you're heartless, I can guarantee if a gun supporter's child was gunned down and killed, their perspective on the current gun laws would change.

Two questions. What percentage of gun deaths are caused by mass shootings in the United States? What do you think should be changed about the current gun laws?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

I think lying in a closet at school in your dying friend's blood is a pretty damn good education, and you don't need to be 21 to figure out in that moment that the laws have gone haywire.

: @@ :

The laws have gone haywire? So they used to be good but now they have gone haywire?

What exactly would you change about the current laws?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

My 7-year-old has opinions. Are you saying he ought to decide policy for the entire country?

I bet he has opinions on going to school sometimes too. Lots of kids don’t like going to school, perhaps we should allow them to have a say in that matter no?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I say, don't pay any attention to these silly kids. The adults in the room are doing such a bang up job running things and having intelligent civil discussions on the issues that really matter.

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Vdogg

Hi, I am David Hogg. I am smart enough and mature enough to lecture you on what I think the gun laws should be, but not smart enough or mature enough to own one myself.

That position does not indicate a great deal of thought, frankly.

Do you think my tweenage nephew who is too young to drive should be telling all the rest of us what the legal speed limits ought to be?

So are you saying that anyone who does not own a gun (like myself) is not smart enough or mature enough to have a valid input on gun laws - but that people like George Zimmerman are smart and mature and should be the ones deciding gun laws?

And if you are, then you certainly can support the position that no man should be making laws about women's reproductive systems because they don't have ovaries or a uterus.

(P.S.... you seem to be unaware that kids WERE involved in movements like MADD and campaigns about speed limits and drinking and driving - as well as many other social issues. You may be too young to remember this, but it did happen within my lifetime.)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

That child was shot at by an assassin. You don't think that he (and others who were fired upon) should be able to tell their story? That children should be seen and not heard until some age limit?

What age limit do you think is appropriate to deserve a chance at a bully pulpit? 18? 20? 40? (serious question. I'm not being snarky here. I understand I have different standards - I would accept a child's testimony about a criminal case and in court and if that child chose to speak in public about the experience, I would support the child's right to that public narrative.)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

People don't spend vast amounts of money modding and customising their stamps or knives though, and neither of those things are described as penis extensions...

Just a point here... not quite true about the knife culture. I do love me some knives and swords, and I have encountered some of the more... ah... enthusiastic collectors of pointy bits who felt that their gear made them quite manly.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join