It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs more than 10 rounds? It seems the police (each) do - even when there's 4-8 officers!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Time and again I hear gun control advocated complain about magazine capacity (or is it clips?....) and they ask "how many bullets do you need" (which is a ridiculous question to begin with). Well it seems that the latest incident in Sacramento, the answer is 20 and the threat was not even armed! In another case where San Fran cops (all 7 of them) unleashed 65 rounds at an unarmed suspect who, amazingly, wasn't even hit!

So by doing the math, it seems that if someone needed to protect themselves against an actual threat, maybe that 10 round mag might not be adequate for the job and anyone who is unwilling to see this is just being dishonest with themselves and those in the conversation.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

You can always come up with some ultra rare situation where ANY weapon MIGHT could have saved the day..

“If only I had had an RPG when the bank robbers showed up. I could have stopped it.. So obviously we should all have RPGs..”

I’m not saying we should ban all the guns, nor that assault rifle/extended clip bans would help in very many cases.

Just that the OP headline is what’s known as toddler logic.

edit on 24-3-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-3-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

You can always come up with some ultra rare situation where ANY weapon MIGHT could have saved the day..

“If only I had had an RPG when the bank robbers showed up. I could have stopped it.. So obviously we should all have RPGs..”

I’m not saying we should ban all the guns, nor that assault rifle/extended clip bans would help in very many cases.

Just that the OP headline is what’s known as toddler logic.

Can always tell when above the target b/c that's when the personal insults start to fly!

So, would you like to count how many police encounters involve more than 10 rounds being fired (often at unarmed suspects?)? These are HIGHLY trained people who need more than what gun control advocates deem as "adequate". The cognitive dissonance on this topic is strong on the left!!!

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

These are HIGHLY trained people

Yea that's not entirely accurate. Firearms training in the academy doesn't turn your average officer in to John Wick or something. Training post-academy is, for many officers, between a dozen and twenty hours a year. Anything beyond that is up to the officer to do.

In reality, most police departments only train about two times a year, averaging less than 15 hours annually. In contrast to our frequency of training, those same suspects revealed that they practiced on average 23 times a year (or almost twice a month) with their handguns. During a poll taken during this class which represented about a half dozen Florida law enforcement agencies, I asked how many train more than twice a year. No hands went up. When asked how many train or qualify with their duty guns only once a year, everyone raised their hands.

PoliceOne article

(often at unarmed suspects?)

That's a pretty relative term. The overwhelming majority of shootings are against armed subjects. 987 people were killed by law enforcement in 2017. Of that, 579 had a gun. 156 had a knife. 68 were unarmed.

WaPo stats.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
Time and again I hear gun control advocated complain about magazine capacity (or is it clips?....) and they ask "how many bullets do you need" (which is a ridiculous question to begin with). Well it seems that the latest incident in Sacramento, the answer is 20 and the threat was not even armed! In another case where San Fran cops (all 7 of them) unleashed 65 rounds at an unarmed suspect who, amazingly, wasn't even hit!

So by doing the math, it seems that if someone needed to protect themselves against an actual threat, maybe that 10 round mag might not be adequate for the job and anyone who is unwilling to see this is just being dishonest with themselves and those in the conversation.

I daily carry a 45 cal. with hollow points and 10 in the magazine+1 in the chamber. I have a 2nd clip of 10, but never carry it.

My theory is for my relatively closer personal space of mine or others...with my 45 "hand cannon"...I'm not gonna miss at close range, and wouldn't need more than 10 shots... even undoubtedly missing a few...

10 is plenty for self defense that isn't a running gang gun-fight.

Concealed Carrier
edit on 24-3-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

These are HIGHLY trained people

Yea that's not entirely accurate. Firearms training in the academy doesn't turn your average officer in to John Wick or something. Training post-academy is, for many officers, between a dozen and twenty hours a year. Anything beyond that is up to the officer to do.

In reality, most police departments only train about two times a year, averaging less than 15 hours annually. In contrast to our frequency of training, those same suspects revealed that they practiced on average 23 times a year (or almost twice a month) with their handguns. During a poll taken during this class which represented about a half dozen Florida law enforcement agencies, I asked how many train more than twice a year. No hands went up. When asked how many train or qualify with their duty guns only once a year, everyone raised their hands.

PoliceOne article

(often at unarmed suspects?)

That's a pretty relative term. The overwhelming majority of shootings are against armed subjects. 987 people were killed by law enforcement in 2017. Of that, 579 had a gun. 156 had a knife. 68 were unarmed.

WaPo stats.

I guess the difference here is the interpretation of "highly". My interpretation was based on the general public, many of which have never held a gun. 20-30 hours a year of training in shooting should qualify someone as pretty highly trained vs someone who shoots 1-5 hours/year or never.

The point wasn't that they are shooting unarmed people, it's that in many cases they aren't getting return fire. If you take a situation where another person is shooting at you and you aren't very well trained, you may need more than 10 rounds to get to a "safe place" or neutralize the target.

There are many cases where officers don't empty their magazine, but I've seen many where they have and it is astonishing to see (especially when some situations are examined!).

The point isn't to say "police bad" or "need more training" it's that you can't predict how many rounds are needed for any given situation and that is the entire point of having enough to do the job. Ask LE why they switched from old wheel guns to semi-automatics and it isn't reliability, is it. That alone should tell you that when defending one's self in a heated situation, having enough rounds often beats out many other factors.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

let's not forget that they were behind cover when they shot the cell phone bandit.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

To be clear, I think magazine restrictions are pointless and nothing more than a feel-good measure.

I just think "highly trained" gives the impression that most cops are crack shots, and data certainly doesn't support that idea.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Ha, ha, yea thats kinda funny. Apparently cops in Cali cant hit the broadside of a barn door. Cop in Ft. Worth TX, I believe it was, dropped a would be armed ISIS shooter/bomber with a 6 shot revolver. From the video it appeared to be Ruger's big frame revolver, .357 Magnum GP100 with 4 inch barrel.

Bit difference between TX and Cali.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Ha, ha, yea thats kinda funny. Apparently cops in Cali cant hit the broadside of a barn door. Cop in Ft. Worth TX, I believe it was, dropped a would be armed ISIS shooter/bomber with a 6 shot revolver. From the video it appeared to be Ruger's big frame revolver, .357 Magnum GP100 with 4 inch barrel.

Yeah that was an amazing shot! IDK if the point was clear enough, but just these two examples shows that even people with much more training than general public, can need many shots to accomplish their goal. I wonder if that TX guy was military trained?

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Who needs more than 10 rounds?

Same reason you need a smart phone.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
65 shots and no hits, most people would call that a fail . that's 65 potential unintended targets .
Maybe someone was watching over the unarmed suspect.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

The California cops couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a banjo.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I didn’t insult anyone.. I insulted the logic behind the argument..

Aka go for the ball, not the player.

I made zero mention of anyone as a person..

If people don’t like their arguments being called out. Then stop using toddler logic...

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

I’m sure cops in both places log a crazy amount of hours..

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Most cops can't shoot and hit anything. they rarely train and most of the range time is shooting paper targets.

Now this does not count the SWAT teams that in many departments are made up of military veterans. that were trained in live fire shooting houses and urban training complexes

Many of these veterans spent months training in the service on house to house combat in the marines or army rangers and navy seals.

I had a mining partner that had a daughter was a undercover narcotics officer in a major calif sheriffs department.

I trained her how to shoot a AR15 as she had never even trained on one. she thought they kicked a lot until i showed her they did not by putting mine up to my chin and firing it.

6 months later she came to the mine i was at and had her own AR15 and wanted me to mount a scope on it.

new topics

top topics

join