It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The China-U.S. trade war thread.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

China doesn’t produce a damn thing we can’t make here in the good ol USA so let’s bring that manufacturing back home. They cheat on currency valuation, labor costs, and rip off our intellectual property. We don’t need them so let’s pay a little more and bring those jobs back home and quit taking it up the keister.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
Bush did the exact same tariffs in 2002 and it cost $4 billion in wages and 200,000 jobs all across the US. Why won't it be the same this time?

Not saying it wont be the same, and Bush got reelected. See my point?

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
china has the 'rare earth mining' industry all sewn up... china has natural deposits in China to be exploited and owns a strategic mining operation here in the USA that produced a particular rare-Earth metal used in the Defense industry as a highly strategic magnetic element used in all sorts of high tech weapons

there is also something called the 'section 301"....the vulture capitalists/globalists sold out America for quick Profits .... just like in the Uranium One act-of-treasonous behavior by a small group of profiteers...
Along With: Rare Earths/satellite orbit insertion codes to China/Fission material to Russia, the list is long

China has our military high tech in-the-crosshairs...also the real alternative to Western Financial Dominance & the Petro-Dollar strength with the 26 March 2018 launch of the Gold-Yuan-Oil Exchange along with the Eastern Version of the Western bankers Swift Code & BIS/IMF empire

trade war with China will strangle the USAs image-of-Itelf

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Of course. It IS a lot easier to build a more modern facility from the ground up, rather than tearing down or upgrading an existing one.

As the Asians have started later, their facilities are, per force, newer. Add in the cheaper labor rates and it got tough for the U.S., in general.

I wish I could show you the upgrades and new facilities that are going up around the nation...

As far as 'bad policies' goes, there seems to be a considerably different view from CEOs around the world than yours. Every economic indicator says otherwise.

Sorry, but I will take their view over yours.

edit on 25-3-2018 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
China does not have to trade with the US, they are a global power, and have both the manpower and the means to move and ship goods all on their own. And the very rules for business that the US has been doing, including Trump, China developed, perfected and has been using for years. So how much of a war is this really going to be?

Looking at the past 20 years, China has been focusing efforts in 2 different areas, one is Africa, with all of the natural resources, has been where China has been spending money and manpower to develop and establish strong trade relations, along with developing countries. The other is Latin America. It has been probing and getting into areas that either the USA has neglected or has been alienating due to bad policies.

When Trump announced that it was pulling out of the TPP, many countries, China came in and offered another deal that countries are considering on doing. Now if China is starting to flex its economic muscle and start to under-cut or even pick up and exceed trade that the USA is dropping how good would it be for the USA?

In short the USA is about to get into a trade war with China, which the USA can ill afford.

We can ill afford not getting into a trade war with China if it comes down to that. China offered an alternate to the TPP well before Trump nixed it. They had no choice.

If you think Africa and Latin America can even scratch the surface of China's trade with the U.S., your very mistaken.

While you make good points on China's economic imperialism and purchasing of resources- which also acts as a money laundering effort to get out of the Yuan, at the same time, by purchasing real assets with their 'cash'- you omit two huge factors in this potential fracas.

First, is many nations have followed China in this low cost labor and economic development. From India right across South east Asia, China has new competitors in the export field. Do not doubt that those nations, especially India, would love to grab a piece of the Chinese 'pie' and that preparations, to some degree, is already occurring.

That segways into your point of economic development of resources in Africa. Yes. That is occurring. South America, not so much. That region has had a much longer relationship with Japan who has invested mightily in South American ventures.

As far as alienating South America, politically, China has alienated virtually every single one of it's neighboring nations with it's land grab in the South China Sea. They are aligned with the U.S.. Add in that Trump has given exemptions to both Canada and Mexico, both very important trading partners, in the initial tariffs shows a pragmatic recognition of economic reality of neighbors. One that China has abused, by far, more than the U.S..

The most important point that you omit is China needs exports to the U.S. far more than the U.S. 'needs' exports to China. This is blatantly obvious. (Especially food!)

China is on the losing side of this confrontation and that, I suspect, is the reason China has named so many items that they could counter tariff with.

The U.S. list of potential tariffs is far, far larger.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

To further answer your question on why it will be different is simple. When Trump desn't get what he wants he doubles down.

Like he did on the budget he just signed?

www.axios.com...

An exception that proves the rule....One step at a time.....

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio
china has the 'rare earth mining' industry all sewn up... china has natural deposits in China to be exploited and owns a strategic mining operation here in the USA that produced a particular rare-Earth metal used in the Defense industry as a highly strategic magnetic element used in all sorts of high tech weapons

there is also something called the 'section 301"....the vulture capitalists/globalists sold out America for quick Profits .... just like in the Uranium One act-of-treasonous behavior by a small group of profiteers...
Along With: Rare Earths/satellite orbit insertion codes to China/Fission material to Russia, the list is long

China has our military high tech in-the-crosshairs...also the real alternative to Western Financial Dominance & the Petro-Dollar strength with the 26 March 2018 launch of the Gold-Yuan-Oil Exchange along with the Eastern Version of the Western bankers Swift Code & BIS/IMF empire

trade war with China will strangle the USAs image-of-Itelf

The rare earths is an issue. Do you really think that if it came down to it that the U.S. would allow those strategic resources to stay in Chinese hands? You'd be dreaming. Any and all paper agreements would be relegated to the bathroom for pragmatic use if came to an economic war with China.

Militarily, China is still well behind.....for now. All the more reason to fix this now.

It may well be our last chance.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well let's get this trade war going. 3 billion dollars of goods when trade is likely over a trillion is nothing but tough talk. Since Trump is talking Trade War, I assume he just wants to get a stock market correction over with early in his term instead of late. He could have just called it Fair Trade. China has been taking advantage of other countries for many years without equal trade practices. Europe may enact tariffs as well if they don't get special exemptions. I saw the US imports a lot of steel from Brazil. Is Brazil in cahoots with China now? I heard only 3% of domestic steel is used for the defense industry, that doesn't sound like much of an issue concerning national security. Has the defense industry been buying steel from overseas? I don't know. Instead of tariffs, could require a certain percentage be bought from the US and Canada. Maybe the defense industry already uses local steel. I have more questions than answers.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter
Well let's get this trade war going. 3 billion dollars of goods when trade is likely over a trillion is nothing but tough talk. Since Trump is talking Trade War, I assume he just wants to get a stock market correction over with early in his term instead of late. He could have just called it Fair Trade. China has been taking advantage of other countries for many years without equal trade practices. Europe may enact tariffs as well if they don't get special exemptions. I saw the US imports a lot of steel from Brazil. Is Brazil in cahoots with China now? I heard only 3% of domestic steel is used for the defense industry, that doesn't sound like much of an issue concerning national security. Has the defense industry been buying steel from overseas? I don't know. Instead of tariffs, could require a certain percentage be bought from the US and Canada. Maybe the defense industry already uses local steel. I have more questions than answers.

The steel tariffs are not specifically directed to China. It is all nations with Canada and Mexico exempted. All nations.

At no point did Trump say or imply a trade war with China. Merely a leveler playing field. IF we end up in a trade war, it will be due to China not being willing to make those adjustments. Simple.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 10:56 AM
link   
But isn't that too much, too late? Are the U.S. levies adequate?

"Given that the European Commission always imposes the minimum duties possible, unlike the US, then what we end up with are duties that are totally inadequate and may not have any material effect. “If this was the US, we would have seen duties set at 66pc and brought in after 45 days from the start of the investigation. Not 9pc after almost a year, from a drawn out and procrastinating EU machine." China now accounts for more than half of global steel production - up from 10pc a decade ago.

www.telegraph.co.uk...[edi tby]edit on 13CDT10America/Chicago057101031 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
F China... Do we need China or does China need the US? China already has a wide range of tariffs on US products. Our products go there and get hit with their tariffs THEN after the tariff they put a VAT (value-added taxes) on all of it THEN they hit companies with a corporate income tax rate of 25%. You ever wonder why your little IPhone cost so much...lol
I thought it was strange when China said they will increase their already 10% tariffs in response to Trump's.

Then we have this little issue below...Give us your tech and we will let you trade in our country. On the old good bad scale this is really really bad...

Until a few years ago, the Chinese government was using the Peoples Liberation Army’s (PLA) sophisticated cyber skills to infiltrate American companies and steal technology. Chinese officials denied all wrongdoing until President Barack Obama and President Xi Jinping met in California in June 2013. Obama showed Xi detailed proof that the US had obtained through its own cyber espionage. Xi then agreed that the Chinese government would no longer use the PLA or other government agencies to steal US technology. Although it is difficult to know with certainty, it appears that such cyber theft has been reduced dramatically.

The current technology theft takes a different form. American firms that want to do business in China are often required to transfer their technology to Chinese firms as a condition of market entry. These firms “voluntarily” transfer production knowhow because they want access to a market of 1.3 billion people and an economy as large as that of the US.

This takes us to the old mindset...don't make China angry or they will not buy our CA wine!!! Products will cost MORE!! Let China rape and pillage us as long as our crazy consumer society gets they crappy products!!! What will the soybean farmers do!!! Really, China in the last 10 years has gone soybean crazy. In the mid 1990s they were importing about 18 million bushels then something crazy happened around 2007 and today they import about 3 BILLION bushels. one third of US soybeans now go to China...They said that they were going to increase THEIR ALREADY 10% tariffs to 25% in resource...ALREADY...is the key word. I say good luck when you are talking about food...

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Good question. It is the first move, however. There's nothing to say they don't increase at a later date, if required.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Spot on, sir, spot on!

Let's see who they get the soy beans from if not us. There are some nervous soy bean producers in the U.S.. We can easily give them subsidies from the tariffs we earn. Perhaps do what we did for years, in the day. We paid farmers not to grow wheat. We could do the same for soy...

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Since this seems to be a big China issue...

My companies do not operate in side the USA specifically because to do so would require submitting all of our proprietary technology to US government authorities for 'inspection'.

I made that mistake once, and low and behold, my bid was high....which was extremely odd since I was the only person with the proprietary tech to do the job as specified. Imagine my surprise when we provided ourselves a little after hours tour, and found a US company installing our tech, with copies of our patent and tech info supplied direct from the US government.

Before any American ever bitches about IP theft...remember that your country perfected it, and still does it to this day. The only difference between China and you...the Chinese are honest about it.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: peck420

I'd say blatant, rather than honest. Get your point, though. I suppose stealing patents by the U.S. gov't from it's citizens is....patriotic. cough, cough.

China stealing U.S. patents?? Not so much.

I'd say it's not an issue of angels vs devils. More like i'll take our devils over their devils. Who knows? Maybe somewhere down the line even that gets cleaned up. Not holding my breath, though.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
President Trump tells China that he's open to negotiations, before launching the China tariffs.
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Good for him! Anyone betting the Chinese capitulate? Either way, Trump wins. They make concessions or they do not. If they don't, at least Trump has taken the high road, so to speak, and made the attempt.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: Xtrozero

Spot on, sir, spot on!

Let's see who they get the soy beans from if not us. There are some nervous soy bean producers in the U.S.. We can easily give them subsidies from the tariffs we earn. Perhaps do what we did for years, in the day. We paid farmers not to grow wheat. We could do the same for soy...

Our family farm was a recipient of federal funds for the soil bank. Basically paid to not work and not grow cotton or onions. Capitalism at it's finest!! USDA rawwwwkkkks! bigly! As does the DOE, for paying us to not pump natural gas. Sweet!

But do you honestly think Trump will pull off a trade embargo or cave like he did on the budget. Do you still trust him?

It's obvious to me he will do what ever the corporate oligarchy tells him to do...punked out as it were....
edit on 25-3-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I have never been, nor will ever be, a US citizen.

Your government has no problems stealing from the citizens of your allies.

My supposed 'enemy' asks if I am willing to pay the fee to play on their field. My 'ally' just takes it.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

I have never been, nor will ever be, a US citizen.

Your government has no problems stealing from the citizens of your allies.

My supposed 'enemy' asks if I am willing to pay the fee to play on their field. My 'ally' just takes it.

Fair enough. If what you say is true, then you have my apologies, for whatever that's worth. There IS a new sheriff in town. it remain to be seen to what degree, if any, he can or will change things. Here's hoping.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join