It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buckets of rocks are Pennsylvania schools’ last defense against shooters

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If they're gonna give'em slingshots, give'em buckets of ball bearings.
20 kids with Wristrockets loaded with those would be formidable.

silly
kids are not allowed to have weapons in schools

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If they're gonna give'em slingshots, give'em buckets of ball bearings.
20 kids with Wristrockets loaded with those would be formidable.

Don't disagree. I pointed out at the LV incident that someone in that room with a slingshot and ball bearings could have killed so many more people, as they are completely silent. Folks would just start dropping here and there, slowly, and no one would know what it was causing it. No muzzle flash, no smoke, no sound....

When I was a kid we had those with the ball bearings in handle. Ruined a few 55 gallon drums full of ash one summer day. Dad whooped my ass good for that...but he was also marvelling at how much power those suckers had.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Ah yes the rock.

This first projectile weapon.

You realize a gun is 250k yrs of rock throwing improved....

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
when are american state governments and the federal government going to stop being such cheapskates and start putting money and time into the things we actually need? this behavior is starting to become dangerous in many small ways like this and a few more significant ways too.

i mean really.... rocks?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Potential shooter of school in that district: "Note to self...wear helmet with face shield."

This is silly, both to think that the majority of students would be ready to attack in the face of a shooter, but also that this is the superintendent's idea of 'not wanting our students toe be helpless victims.'

But I do concede that this is much better than cowering in a corner, but hell, throwing scissors would be a better idea that rocks.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Too bad they blabbed about all over the news and gave away any element of surprise they may have had.

link   
trpl

edit on 23-3-2018 by tjack because: (no reason given)

link   
dbl
edit on 23-3-2018 by tjack because: (no reason given)

link   
Oh noes jim just killed sally with a bucket of rocks.....

It is definitely time to ban rocks?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I surely hope they consider limiting that box to only 10 rocks. After all, you don't need more projectiles than that to defend yourself, so I hear people cry on about.

SMH

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
But what if somebody shows up with paper?

Safety scissors are in the bright blue trays in the back, next to the Elmer's.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Pretty please can we admit that it is dumb to have a bucket full of weapons in class.

Now the "shooter" will not even have to bother with arming themselves.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Buckets of rocks is the last defense

can't they just use the rocks in their heads....

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
our forefathers are rolling in their Graves.

I think the've been doing that for quite some time.

Unrelated to this issue.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
when are american state governments and the federal government going to stop being such cheapskates and start putting money and time into the things we actually need? this behavior is starting to become dangerous in many small ways like this and a few more significant ways too.

i mean really.... rocks?

I think it fits in perfectly with the paradigm of Orange logic we are now experiencing; that is caused by errors in the formal inductive logic and data processing. Cognitive and Emotional Fallacies are currently very popular even among seemingly "normal" people.
edit on 23-3-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere

i mean really.... rocks?

Well, all the money goes into the politicians' pockets. Eliminate the greed, and then there'd be money for everything else.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Its better than nothing and as mentioned add in some sling shot type items and they can absolutely do some damage.

If we are not going to do real things to change the culture (not useless feel good laws that most likely wont be enforced along with many other laws) then we need to do anything that can help the kids.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Welcome to the USA super joke of the world

where the kids end up as dumb as a bucket of rocks

rock on merica

I'm sure the bucket of rocks will be skewing the grading curve for many of these kids.....

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
You know what?

Good on them for finding their comfort zone.

If i have learned anything it is that death in these cases is inevitable when it's your turn.

That is actually the way our system is supposed to work.

States rights.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
how bout employing all the dif equipment to keep the shooter from coming into the room in the first place?

I swear everyone is acting like theres just no solutions but these are just 4 of many and they cost from 15-bucks to 120 bucks, youre telling me these cant be implemented along with an alarm system over the P.A that tells everyone to lock down?

To address this, because you may have missed it.
From article:

The buckets are just one of the measures that Blue Mountain School District in Orwigsburg, Pennsylvania, has put in place this academic year, along with security cameras, secured building entrances and fortified classroom doors,

And some other points from the article:

“We didn’t want our students to be helpless victims,” Helsel said. “River stones were my idea. I thought they would be more effective than throwing books or book bags or staplers.” ADVERTISING

and continued:

Helsel said the idea of equipping classrooms with rocks grew out of his reading of the active-shooter defense program known as ALICE, which stands for Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate. He first spoke about the rock buckets in testimony at the Pennsylvania state house in Harrisburg last week. Helsel said his school board approved the rock buckets before they were put in the classrooms at the district’s five schools last fall. Parents in Orwigsburg, about 92 miles (148 km) northwest of Philadelphia, have been mostly supportive, he added. “It is so unbelievably tragic that our society has come to a point where schools have to arm themselves with buckets of rocks to defend the against active shooters,” said Robert Conroy, director of organizing with gun-control group CeaseFirePA. “We should be talking about real reform of gun laws.

Might as well have the full story.

And for S&G's here's a link that works

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join