It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Buckets of rocks are Pennsylvania schools’ last defense against shooters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

"rural Pennsylvania school district has equipped all 200 of its classrooms with buckets of rocks that students and teachers could use as a “last line of defense” in the event of a school shooting, the district’s superintendent said on Friday.

The buckets are just one of the measures that Blue Mountain School District in Orwigsburg, Pennsylvania, has put in place this academic year, along with security cameras, secured building entrances and fortified classroom doors, Superintendent David Helsel said in a telephone interview.

“We didn’t want our students to be helpless victims,” Helsel said. “River stones were my idea"

Buckets of rocks are Pennsylvania schools’ last defense against shooters

I guess a bucket of Rocks is better than nothing and Superintendent Helsel has established a great legacy for the Blue Mountin School district.

I guess an armed guard is to expensive and/or unreliable.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I thought this was an article from "The Onion" based on the title... guess not

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
our forefathers are rolling in their Graves.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I mean... if the entire class rose up and pelted the shooter with 25 rocks, they might actually have a chance? Somebody's bound to hit him square in the head and knock him senseless, right? I wonder if they will have drills...

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
TF? So, engage an armed shooter with rocks. Gotcha.

Perhaps the US military can take cues?

SMGDH

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
while the initial reaction is "this is a joke", it's better than cowering in a corner, hoping the gunman doesn't stop at your classroom. I am of the opinion that a large portion of the shooters are actually giant pussies and would never stand and fight, but run away. I might be wrong, and with the Parkland one, that kid got into his share of scraps, so he doesn't fit the mold. But if rocks are all you are allowed to fight back with, go nuts. David sure did a number on Goliath with one.

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
But what if somebody shows up with paper?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Ever heard the expression "bringing a knife to a gunfight" ?

This is worse.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

I mean... if the entire class rose up and pelted the shooter with 25 rocks, they might actually have a chance? Somebody's bound to hit him square in the head and knock him senseless, right? I wonder if they will have drills...

So true and active shooter with an AR would be terrified of a group of rock yielding teens. Or perhaps they could text him and see if he would listen to reason and go home.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Ummm...sooo...rock...paper...bullets...?

Didn't anyone tell this idiot...you don't bring a pebble to a gunfight...

Rock on...Mr. superintendent...

Ya think this guy is...stoned...?

Rocks in his head I tell ya...

YouSir

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
how bout employing all the dif equipment to keep the shooter from coming into the room in the first place?

I swear everyone is acting like theres just no solutions but these are just 4 of many and they cost from 15-bucks to 120 bucks, youre telling me these cant be implemented along with an alarm system over the P.A that tells everyone to lock down?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'll probably sell my home defense weapon, my trusty James Purdy, for an inexpensive box of rocks. Actually free.
Seems reasonable!!

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

I wonder if they will have drills...

Ummm...maybe it's a Muslim school...and they're just training for...you know...

Stoners R us...

YouSir
edit on 23-3-2018 by YouSir because: I was under a compulsion...

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry
how bout employing all the dif equipment to keep the shooter from coming into the room in the first place?

I swear everyone is acting like theres just no solutions but these are just 4 of many and they cost from 15-bucks to 120 bucks, youre telling me these cant be implemented along with an alarm system over the P.A that tells everyone to lock down?

Naw, according to people who work in education, buckets of rocks are much better.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I had to laugh at how ridiculous this sounded. Then i started actually brain storming it....

....toss in some moderate quality sling shots, give them target practice during PE, and you have give the kids a decent skill that may come in handy one day.

I don't see a problem with teaching kids concepts like critical thinking and emergency planning. We all used to duck under our desks in elementary, as if that would keep a nuke from melting us to the floor.

link   

Only a matter of time before A student flips out and rocks someone to death in the classroom.

link   
Welcome to the USA super joke of the world

where the kids end up as dumb as a bucket of rocks

rock on merica
edit on 23-3-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Well in Parkland, the armed guard at the school just chickened out.

And rocks, really? I really wonder if I entered the world of Idiocracy.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If they're gonna give'em slingshots, give'em buckets of ball bearings.
20 kids with Wristrockets loaded with those would be formidable.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Deluxe

Ummm...precisely...where are they going to keep these stones anyway...under rock and key...?

Oh...so sowwy...bad toad...

On a lighter note...what happens when these classrooms are fortified and can only be opened from the inside...and the teacher loses it and stones the young skulls into full of mush...or what if the teach is a closet touchy feely and loses it...?

Olaru...there's a b movie in those scenario's somewhere...

YouSir

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join