It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm sure many are asking themselves "What's next?"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Dammit you guys...stop making DTOM do so much work. I'd hate to tally up the percentage of posts that have been removed or comments deleted. This might be the worst thread that I've seen for that in a long while.

As for the OP, the point that he makes is correct--far too often people call for tighter and tigher governmental grips over what people can and cannot do or have, and it's getting to the point in many nations, if not most, that the concept of freedom is a spark that is petering out to the point of not being able to ignite a fire any longer.
edit on 23-3-2018 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
But... but what?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Could you please explain why you think a knife is more dangerous than a firearm, a knife means you have to be up close and personal, where as a firearm is far less personal, and can be fired at a distance, and at multiple "targets".

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Do you/we have some type of right to own knives?

not in the usa we do not

Eh, yeah you *do* have some type of right to own knives - the second amendment.

Any reasonable interpretation of the second amendment includes the right to own arms. Put simply, you can't have the right to bear arms without the right to own arms.

Nah
they made that just for boom sticks
the laws specifically say the second covers firearms
i may be wrong but that is what i have gathered

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   
how about clothes is that covered by the great paper?

forks?
houses?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
Just to put this out there. The anti-knife campaign is about trying to stop teenage gangs carrying knives, not about some group that will enter your home and take away all your kitchen knives. A small"ish" number of inner city teens walk around with machetes and the like to "protect themselves" against other gangs. You guys seem to love the British tabloids and love spouting their nonsense like sheeple. Most British people ignore the tabloid press, because we know it's only "headline news" to keep them in business.

not to take away from your rant, but in the US, a rather large portion of the "gun crime" is done by "gangs of kids" just "trying to protect themselves". those numbers skew the opinions of many who aren't intelligent enough to verify facts, and may contribute to some of the insane comment by those "not from round here". Just sayin.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Just to put this out there. The anti-knife campaign is about trying to stop teenage gangs carrying knives, not about some group that will enter your home and take away all your kitchen knives. A small"ish" number of inner city teens walk around with machetes and the like to "protect themselves" against other gangs. You guys seem to love the British tabloids and love spouting their nonsense like sheeple. Most British people ignore the tabloid press, because we know it's only "headline news" to keep them in business.

not to take away from your rant, but in the US, a rather large portion of the "gun crime" is done by "gangs of kids" just "trying to protect themselves". those numbers skew the opinions of many who aren't intelligent enough to verify facts, and may contribute to some of the insane comment by those "not from round here". Just sayin.

I love how this person says that Sky news is a tabloid. Perhaps it just wasn't rectally cleansed as much as a story delivered from the BBC would have been, ya know?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Could you please explain why you think a knife is more dangerous than a firearm, a knife means you have to be up close and personal, where as a firearm is far less personal, and can be fired at a distance, and at multiple "targets".

can you please quantify the kind of "dead" that is allowed in our society? I am of the opinion that I don't give a rats ass if a person was killed by chronic halitosis, dead is dead and it's wrong. Which is why we enacted laws to prevent killing. Sometimes, people just don't listen to the laws. Damn them.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

I didn't get to read your "great response" as it was removed. A lot of what's posted here on ATS about the UK is what makes the headlines in tabloid newspapers and websites. The newspapers are aloud to be biased to either left or right politics and the headline is meant to get attention. They print similar things about America, hence why some many "Brits" post when a shooting happens there.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Death by cinder block is pretty darned dead to me.

And, honestly, were I to choose how to die... I'd rather die from gunshot than repeated blows to the head with a blunt object that left the victim unrecognizable.

But, surely that must be the tabloids talking, ya know?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

It has to do with rate of wounding and the severity of the wound when an attack is successful.

With a firearm, most times the bullets either miss their target altogether or then produce very insignificant wounds to the extremities from which one can easily recover, especially if the bullet passes through cleanly.

With a knife, regardless of the need to be close for an attack to be successful, stab wounds are often deep and severe, lacerating or disabling internal organs, and cuts are often deep and long, which have a tendency to sever arteries and ligaments/tendons/muscles, which often render someone incapable of defending themselves or leaves them bleeding to death.

You also must consider the amount of times one is attacked with the weapon--often times, few, if any, bullets strike the intended target of a firearm attack, but when it comes to blade attacks, which are generally up-close and personal, the victims are stabbed or cut many times during the same attack.

But to be fair, this is a debated topic all over the internet, and while some cite speed of the bullet and average penetration depth as indicating that firearms are more lethal, that also depends heavily on placement of shot, whereas multiple random slashes and stabs with a blade can and does produce critical and lethal injuries.

Keep in mind, though, that I'm also considering the total amount of unsuccessful firearm attacks into this equation, and in doing so, I come to the conclusion that I would rather be met by an unskilled shooter than an unskilled person with a knife--wild gunshots tend to miss, but wild slashes and stabs hit the target much more often.

Those are just a few reasons, but like I said, if you just take successful attacks and leave out the unsuccessful ones in each category, gunshot wounds tend to be a bit more lethal, statistically speaking. It just depends on how you want to look at it.

In any event, a pistol or rifle pointing at your head within arms reach is much safer against which to defend than a knife at the same distance.

(and yes, I do train in knife tactics, tactical use of a pistol, and gun/knife/stick defenses very regularly)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
BTW friends, I love you all...... and here is a 9mm round for each of you.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Do with said round what you will.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: FHomerK

I love how this person says that Sky news is a tabloid. Perhaps it just wasn't rectally cleansed as much as a story delivered from the BBC would have been, ya know?

You should see a doctor about the problem you seem to be having about rectal cleansing!!

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Nah
they made that just for boom sticks
the laws specifically say the second covers firearms
i may be wrong but that is what i have gathered

You have gathered from the wrong pile of information, then, because you are wrong. The writers of the 2nd Amendment knew the term "firearms"--if they had only intended in to address firearms, they wouldn't have said "arms," which is a much broader spectrum of weaponry, to include knives.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply, I only asked as I trained for many years with a katana, practiced Kendo and other martial arts but still think a gun could kill more in un-trained arms than a sword.

To other posters, YES I own a katana here in the UK, the shock!! I'm waiting for the government to come knocking any minute now.

edit on 23-3-2018 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Thanks for the reply, I only asked as I trained for many years with a katana, practiced Kendo and other martial arts but still think a gun could kill more in un-trained arms than a sword.

Yeah, that's why I tried to frame my response in a balanced way to note that it's a debated and oft-discussed topic that doesn't really have much empirical data to definitively say one way or the other.

And swords are different than knives, for sure...but I'd still prefer to take on an untrained person with a pistol pointing at my chest than someone doing the same with a knife, as it's just safer for me to defend against and attempt to disarm a firearm than a bladed weapon.

But in reality, I'd prefer not to be in either situation, and it would suck to be injured by either one (not that I haven't been cut before, just not by someone with malicious intent)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

it wasn't a rant, it was a way of informing. You're "over there" and I'm "over here", neither of us sees what the other sees, Just sayin.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join