It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Half World's People to Live in Cities by 2007 -UN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
A recent U.N. study predicts that more than half of the worlds population will live in cities within two years. By 2030, that number could rise as high as 61 percent. In 1950, there were 2 cities with populations over 10 million (Tokyo and New York) whereas today there are over 20. By 2015 the biggest city in the world will be Tokyo at 36.2 million followed by Bombay with 22.6 million

news.yahoo.com
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Half the world's population will live in cities in two years, a huge jump from the 30 percent residing in urban areas in 1950, U.N. demographers reported on Wednesday.

Some 3.2 billion of the world's 6.5 billion people live in cities today, and the number will climb to 5 billion -- an estimated 61 percent of the global population -- by 2030, the U.N. Commission on Population and Development said in a report.

The number of very large urban areas was also rising, the commission said. Twenty cities now have 10 million or more inhabitants, compared with just four -- Tokyo, New York-Newark, Shanghai and Mexico City -- in 1975 and just two -- New York-Newark and Tokyo -- in 1950.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its interesting to see the rise of the sprawling super cities. The San Francisco Bay Area could also really be classified as one as well. The huge cities are almost states unto thier own and a city like Tokyo may have a gross domestic product that rivals some countries. However, aging infrastructure and close proximity make disease outbreaks all the more dangerous and such huge urban areas are ripe for a terrorist attack.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I find this information very interesting FredT - thanks.

It's disconcerting to know that cities are not built for good human heal;th. I wonder what kind of changes are needed? And what a healthy city might like like.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
And I thought our cities are already crowded.

I wonder who shall be living in the villages once everyone moves to the cities. And how long we are going to be struck in traffic after this?

Surf

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Good, I hate living in hillbilly infested rural areas.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I for one am getting tired of the rat race of city living.
Sure it has its conveniences but when this amount of people are grouped together everyone turns into a crab. When I first moved here people took pride in this city. Back then I'd always hear that people are so friendly here. Now I hear the opposite.
City life drains away your health and your soul. Get out while you can.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Ah, wow, that's rather interesting. Good catch.

I have to disagree Umbrax. I've been lucky enough to spend a lot of my life in both city and country environments. Nothing can match the city. Nothing. I absolutely love the woods, believe me, I get no greater pleasure than a month backpacking (with, mind you, nothing). The city, however, is just the place to be.

This, however, is a different story. Half the population, over 3 Billion people, in cities. That poses huge problems for the future.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
All the more reason to Tax the roads to fund public transportation! Can you imagine 3 billion people if say 70% of them had cars imagine the fricken gridlock! Hell if it ever got that worse we'd run out of Oil so fast we wouldn't have enough left over to make plasic(which is what Oil is really only good for IMO)

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
All the more reason to Tax the roads to fund public transportation! Can you imagine 3 billion people if say 70% of them had cars imagine the fricken gridlock! Hell if it ever got that worse we'd run out of Oil so fast we wouldn't have enough left over to make plasic(which is what Oil is really only good for IMO)

Tax... the roads? Well, that makes sense.

Cities are very common places to NOT have cars. Tax the bloody suburbs, they've got the bloody SUVs. And, while you're at it, make em use less water for their lawns.

Most of the world has no lawn, nor car, nor money for tax. Things ain't as peachy.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Wow, a Fifth Element New York type city...I like that. The more people we have here on Earth, the higher the cities will be. In about 30 years, we will see mile high sckscrapers everywhere.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Cities are very common places to NOT have cars. Tax the bloody suburbs, they've got the bloody SUVs. And, while you're at it, make em use less water for their lawns.

Sure could've fooled me as I was trying to make a 7 mile trip home during rush hour. BTW That 7 mile trip took 2 and a half hours. So if Half the worlds population is going to live in Urban centers(Suburbia is Urban not Rural btw) that is going to create even more problems. Look for instance at the UK plan in. They started taxing thier roads and traffic was reduced by 20-30% in the first month.

new topics

top topics

join