It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time to think of the next pope?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Pope Francis currently is at the honourable age of 81.

The bishops retire at 75

en.wikipedia.org... Canon 401 §1 of the Code of Canon Law states that archdiocesan/diocesan bishops (including cardinals) must submit their resignation to the pope on reaching the age of 75 years. Some do so earlier with a view to having the resignation take effect immediately on reaching 75.

Over 80, the cardinals cannot elect and be elected as future popes.

Indeed, the popes are Exempt from that rule. John Paul II died 2005 aged 84, spending the last years practically incapacitated for most if not all of the papal duties. After his death it was revealed he considered retirement in the year 2000, but was persuaded by his aides to remain as pope (and they to remain in their positions together with him).

Benedict XVI retired aged 85, the first resignation of a pope for centuries, and the first one (known to me) to be made for health /age reasons, although other reasons might have played a strong role.

The age is not the only problem of pope Francis. The Catholic Church is not a happy place today. There is a clear division between conservatives and liberals, even within the local churches of Western countries, like USA. Let alone the African bishops who believe they hold the true (ultra conservative) doctrine, on one side, and the German and generally speaking the Western bishops who favour a much more liberal approach.

Making new cardinals is the main tool, if not the only one, for a pope to influence the election of his successor. Pope Francis appointed many cardinals from the outskirts, like the Italian cardinal of South Sicily and the small migrant-packed island Lampedusa, and the cardinal from the predominantly non-catholic Pacific island nation of Tonga. But will that change the spectrum?

Pope Francis has the example of his predecessor, and he himself said several times that a pope must resign when he cannot fulfil his obligations. Francis even gave himself a deadline of two years, that passed already. The biggest problem for the pope chosen to reform the Catholic church, is that reform is practically non existent on local level. No matter how many good words are written in every next encyclical. May be this is everything pope Francis could do, and it is the time he steps down, without waiting the poor example of John Paul II and his illness.

Is the new conclave on the horizon? Sooner or later that day will arrive, even for pure biological reasons.

Who might be the successor of the 81 year old pontiff, who managed to gather ovations of the non-catholic world, and bitter divisions inside his own flock and yard?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 11:13 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 2012newstart

“Peter the Roman”

Unless he is Francis that is.

"In the final persecution of the Holy Roman Church there will reign Peter the Roman, who will feed his flock amid many tribulations, after which the seven-hilled city will be destroyed and the dreadful Judge will judge the people. The End.”
edit on 22-3-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

[SNIPPED] the idea of unification with the Orthodox Church has been one of the main goals of the last several popes.

I don't know who of today's cardinals could do the so badly needed reform. or may be not a cardinal at all? There are enough good bishops and even priests who are zealous, not fanatic, and want to see and make a better Church.
Both papacy and cardinalate are not restricted to bishops only.

I don't understand why pope Francis didn't make even more cardinals out of them. He lost pace, as in everything else.
Instead of two Synods that took all energy and produced only bitter quarrels (should the remarried couples receive Holy Communion emerged as the sole biggest problem of the Catholic church today ?!), instead he could make a new Council Vatican III
edit on 22-3-2018 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

edit on 3.23.2018 by Kandinsky because: Snipped reference to removed comment

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

If that happens...but as of today it doesn't. Election of new pope will kind of break the prophecy too.
Or may be indeed Francis is the last pope of the Roman Church. And I stress the word Roman, not Catholic.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 11:32 PM
link   

While I was only half joking, the unification of East and West Rome is no joke. Justinian I once attempted it, and it resulted in a catastrophic earthquake that nearly leveled Constantinople, and two centuries of plague, thinning out the populations of Europe, but Rome will be unified first via nationalistic zeal, then religion will follow. It wont be a good thing when it happens. Mark my words.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: 2012newstart

If that happens...but as of today it doesn't. Election of new pope will kind of break the prophecy too.
Or may be indeed Francis is the last pope of the Roman Church. And I stress the word Roman, not Catholic.

Most probably Pietro Parolin

z3news.com...

“I believe Pope Francis was not canonically elected. I believe some hanky-panky went on in the conclave. In fact, I think that has something to do with why he picked St. Francis of Assisi as his namesake. His real name is Bergoglio, as you know, because Francis of Assisi prophesied about the final Pope and he said he will not be canonically elected. Now that means that he’s a placeholder for reasons that we can’t quite figure out, but I believe he’s either going to be removed from office or he’s going to step down like Benedict did, soon. And the guy that comes up to take his place is actually going to be the real Pope 112 by election, Petrus Romanus.

The people that actually… some of the Cardinals that voted for Pope Francis now want him to step down. They’ve published this. It’s in the news. They want him to step down and they want him to be replaced by the Secretary of State at the Vatican whose name literally means Petrus Romanus, Peter the Roman.”

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Maybe another sorcerer to take his place, like the founder, Peterthe magician, that tried to buy power of God when he asked to be baptized. Its a cult. All the way back to the founding. Its about power and money. Not about a personal relationship with the Living God.
Vatican will soon be destroyed. Just watch

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yeah...Ummm, Sorry. I really don't get the "pope" thing.

But, Hey, feel free to continue without me.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

hahahaha - I thought every man woman and child planet galaxy was corrupted after the fall

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   

There ain't gonna be a next pope. The pope is now a cast iron fubar cainstaff of about a foot length. Kept since I always owned cats and were surrounded by bastards. Saved its lives already. Great in small spaces. Carry it around the world. Git KE's fer yerselves.
edit on 23-3-2018 by Utnapisjtim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:44 AM
link   
White... Black... I want a Green Pope. Or maybe a Transparent Pope.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

We want the «our pope». You can find 'im on the bottom of a lake.
edit on 23-3-2018 by Utnapisjtim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 05:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

Actually, I've changed my my mind. I want a Tye Dye Pope!

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

originally posted by: 2012newstart

Most probably Pietro Parolin

Im thinking of someone not connected to the Curia, and even not a cardinal at the time of election. The non-canonical and non-dogmatic taboo that only cardinals are the ones to be elected popes, should be abandoned. The rule is every baptised man who is able to be consecrated bishop, is able to be elected pope as well. (he might be married, or non-catholic Christian). There were examples from history how a deacon was elected pope, consecrated as bishop after the election and before assuming the papacy.

One possibility is, a highly respected bishop who is not cardinal yet. As for example, Murilo Ramos Krieger, Archbishop of São Salvador da Bahia, Primate of Brazil en.wikipedia.org... who should be on the list of potential cardinals, being primate of Brazil.

But we may think further than that. There are holy priests, some of them mystics and visionaries, who will be no less capable of leading the Church after the DISASTER that we witness now. How about a second Padre Pio to be elected the next pope? These holy men do exist but they are skilfully hidden from the public view.

The next pope doesn't have to be a politically correct figure for the Rome establishment. It has to be spiritually correct figure before God. If there will be Roman Church of course. That question will rise and already rises among the cardinal electors, even without the prophecy of St Malachi. You could hardly pacify the views of cardinal Sarah with cardinal Marx. Then...how could a schism be avoided? Only a very holy person, who contacts with God (Jesus, Mary) directly, is needed to lead a sinking ship.

Francis did a great job, as Jesuit who tried to balance and put a little bit reforms. But let say it plainly, he didn't succeed in that.

The latest news from Brazil is that a bishop was arrested for corruption, www.foxnews.com... of amount of 600,000 dollars... the money in many rich dioceses are much higher than that. But there isn't corruption you know.

Appointing overseeing cardinals, young and zealous, that technically don't have to be even priests, could be an effective way of correcting the outdated system.

None of the current power holder cardinals should claim the papacy. They should agree to choose someone outside their circle. The experiment with the honoured cardinal Bergoglio a man outside the Curia to come and correct it, failed.

Some will say, history knew worse times for papacy such as the Avignon time. Well, yes, but in the beginning of 21st century the billion wide Church is somehow unwilling to let tradition go its course, without deciding any of their problems.

edit on 23-3-2018 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-3-2018 by 2012newstart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

Actually, I've changed my my mind. I want a Tye Dye Pope!

we already had one

his name was Jimi Hendrix

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Who should be the next pope?

Hillary is available...

top topics

join