It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drug rehab or jail, which is the better use of taxes?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
How about neither, since neither one works?

Get them to go to church. That's free.

And I can hear the Atheist sphincters pucker up now.

Hey, you want to solve the problem or not?

Lol, soz, I don't believe in any gods, from Abrahamic to Zoroastrian, and everything in between in our alphabet.

edit on 22-3-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: clarity

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

If a person makes the deliberate, conscious decision to use drugs that have ill effects or addictive qualities then they should be responsible for themselves.

It should not be the responsibility of the government to nanny adults.

Exactly. Nature has failsafes in place to self correct these problem if mankind would only set aside the arrogance involved in artificially blocking nature's course. I've always been highly amused at the fact that any country with legal abortion uses the old "it's their body, so it is their choice" argument to justify it's legality, yet watch how the same nincompoops bend over backward to save others from their choices when such choice only directly impact the sole individual who decides to hang a needle out of their arm or tie a rope from their rafters.

If someone wishes to exit this world, we should hold the door open for them, not waste precious time and resources that could be used on people who are actually productive, valued members of society in trying to save these idjits from their own lunacy.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Get them to go to church. That's free.

If it was so great, it probably would have caught on by now.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I think mandatory rehab on your second conviction. You need to cure the addiction and behaviors associated with it before you can end the problem.

At the same time, you could jail dealers.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yes I like Nature's failsafes where we care for fellow humans.
It's like we know we have to care for each other

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Nature has failsafes in place

failsafes for what exactly?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

Nature has failsafes in place

failsafes for what exactly?

Failsafes to remove dead weight from the necks of the population. Darwin's theory. Allowing death to happen when it is a naturally occurring consequence of a repeatedly stupid self-driven choice results in a stronger, healthier overall population.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Only when there is a tangible benefit. The benefits of repeatedly wasting resources on those who return nothing of value, particularly those who find themselves in the same quagmire soon after those resources are wasted on them escapes me at the moment.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

wrong

we would not be here if such were so

mankind has some fail safes but they are currently illegal

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

In other words, they are artificially manipulated and prevented from taking place, which is a fool's errand.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

ok
but humans are aliens and mother nature is not the same as human

we are unnatural

if anything she is trying to kill us through drugs and such and laws are proping us up.

kinda what you were saying in the first place

perhaps we can agree on attempted failsafes
edit on 22-3-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Only when there is a tangible benefit. The benefits of repeatedly wasting resources on those who return nothing of value, particularly those who find themselves in the same quagmire soon after those resources are wasted on them escapes me at the moment.

I see hope in all humans, maybe we don't share similar sentiments.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

"Humans are aliens" WHAT?!?!? We were born out of this Earth's clay just like all the rest of this planet's life was. You're right in one regard, all the rest of nature removes their own weak links from the chain, humans for some inexplicable reason bend over backwards to shield our weak links, usually to the gross detriment of the whole.

Stop serving those who have overdosed and many will stop taking the drugs. It is the knowledge that there will always be someone to save another from their own stupidity which affords a safety net to these people, allowing them to continue their destructive behavior with less fear of real consequences.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I see hope in all humans, maybe we don't share similar sentiments.

Start crapping in one hand and hoping in the other and see which one fills up first. "Hope" doesn't pay the bills, defend the family, or progress the species in any way. It is an illusion that amounts to a pair of rose colored glasses.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

It all depends on the user, age, and the crimes committed.

I think if the users are 25 or younger, mandatory 3 month rehab. (Unless someone was killed, or maimed.

Actual adults (imo over 25) mandatory rehab (unless someone was killed or maimed.

I have been the victim of drug addicts more than a few times. Robbery was bad enough, but being assaulted and threatened was hell.

My ex is an addict (started with oxy after car accident). He has been in and out of rehabs, I’m not sure how many times he was arrested, or how much jail time he’s done; but just this week he drove into a mini bus full of children DUI, fled the scene, wrastled with the police when they found him, and one officer fell down the stairs in the struggle. My ex has been in hospitals over 400 times (most of the time because he ran out of suboxone).

He also receives 1,500.00/month from SSDI because of mental illness I guess. Yet the state has paid for all these hospital trips, court appointed lawyers.

This has been going on for at least 8 years.

I know from experience, they cannot be enabled, and we need to get tougher on the big dealers, and repeat criminal offenders.

I used to think legalizing was the way to go; but all I can picture are people driving around wasted, hurting other people.

We need more training in trades, incentives for the younger generation to have hope of actually getting ahead and living a normal life. Like home ownership, pride in themselves.

Idle hands do the work of the devil.

President Trump knows this and is trying to make a better country for our children. I pray he is successful in turning things around.

edit on 22-3-2018 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

Your story saddened me, for the record. x

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Your story saddened me, for the record. x

Thank you for that 💙

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   

It has been the hardest on my son who used to idolize his dad. It breaks my heart for him, he didn’t deserve any of this. I pray constantly for him, and let him know his dad loves him. Even though his dad has become a monster.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Rehab has a better chance of making a productive member of society than prison. Prison just makes a more informed, more practiced and often more traumatized criminal, with even fewer options than when they went in.

Trouble is, even with rehab, when addicts go back into the same social situation that made them an addict in the first place they will almost certainly relapse, rehab or not.

A 2%-20% chance of success is better than 0% though. Prison doesn't scare people straight. It just doesn't. I know people like to think that, because they want to see people punished. It makes sense to our inner social animal.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
...couldn't do emoji justice on ats lol, but big heart your way x
edit on 22-3-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join