It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon church catastrophe.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: slowisfast

How does any of that make it a "cult"?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Moroni is looking for you!

The "Elders" would like word with you too, and the Bishop is pissed!

Oh my heck,,,, you're in big trouble!

(ETA...even my sister-wife is pissed (but she's a slob and talks too much), I'm sendin' her down to Colorado City, wench! Elder Jeff's has the hots for her. But he ain't no damn Profit!

edit on 3/22/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Well. It kinda fits the definition of a cult, doesn't it?

It's a scet that deviates from orthodoxy that coalesces around a single leader.

Mormonism deviates from Christian orthodoxy with different views on who Jesus is and the Nature of God and came under the power of a single man that translated golden tablets with special glasses that no one else saw

If I am wrong, please correct me. But does that not make it a Christian cult?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You sound like a four-year-old.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   

So it's a cult.

Explain to me why cults are bad.

Especially ones that bring you cookies when you miss church.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 01:58 AM
link   

I never said cults are bad! I'm sure some cults are lots of fun...as a member or a leader.

It's just the misrepresentation that I don't like. The dishonesty. That Morman's say that they're Christians when
clearly they're not.

It is was it is, without judgement, a cult.

We need to define things properly.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Why not just call it a religion?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I’m not speaking about anything negative about the deity side of things.

I’m talking about the fact that to a religious person. Religious law, trumps state law. Gods law, trumps mans law.

So if the church leader says “god wants the offender punished this way”. Well that would take precedent over what the courts might do.

A buisness would never think that “Walmart law , trumps uS federal law...”

Only street gangs and religions operate under those rules.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 02:13 AM
link   

I would. I do! They are there own religion in my mind. With their own God and their own version of Jesus. A religion created by a man. But they themselves call themselves Christians and it causes a lot of confusion with people. So until they no longer call themselves Christians, they should be regarded as a Christian cult. Which is one reason clearly defining things is important.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 02:32 AM
link   

They believe they're Christians. They're not allowed to do that?

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   

They can believe whatever they want but it doesn't make it so.

This is getting off topic. Apologies to the OP

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I’m not speaking about anything negative about the deity side of things.

I’m talking about the fact that to a religious person. Religious law, trumps state law. Gods law, trumps mans law.

So if the church leader says “god wants the offender punished this way”. Well that would take precedent over what the courts might do.

A buisness would never think that “Walmart law , trumps uS federal law...”

Only street gangs and religions operate under those rules.

No, I don't think you know what you are talking about

Read Romans 13/1-7
Submit to government authority, the law of the land
Obviously with some exceptions that Jesus established.
How is having sex with children anything to do with Christianity, with christs teaching of love and respect. It's a criminal perverted element in the church, not church teaching.
The church has little authority over written NT text, where it can't be established in relation to questions, it can
Again you talk about things you don't understand

If Mormons claim to be Christian, then by harming children, they are operating outside of Christian teaching and the civil law, that is wrong

Religious law does trump state law, only if state Demands Christians do evil
We already know interfering with children is evil

The Mormons hid their actions because they knew it was evil.
edit on 22-3-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
IMO, as an ex-member myself, it is a religious cult based on Christianity. Their false prophet Joseph Smith added books to the Bible, changing or adding anything is forbidden in Christianity. He set up the church hierarchy based on a Masonic model and desired to become a king of a theocracy and ultimately a god. If he had met P. T. Barnum, they probably would have been best buddies.

Researching the history of the early Mormon church and what Smith did back then should be enough to prove he wasn't leading a truly Christian lifestyle. IMO he was merely a conman taking advantage of mostly uneducated common folks that believed he really was a prophet of God.

I must admit though, even as a cult they have many features that can be admired. They are big on family and genealogy, prepping for emergencies, and have a pretty good system for recruiting members. As a member, if you go through the program, you can move up in the hierarchy rather easily compared to other religions. But it really is a cult and is perceived as one by most main stream Christian sects.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

It is a cult, and God bless you for getting out. I think you should report it to the police, make sure the officer you talk to is not a Morman, for obvious reasons. You could even do it anonymously if you want.

Joseph Smith who founded the Church, did not talk to God, in 1830. Think about it, if I said the things that man did. I would be laughed out of town so to speak. God and Jesus are very real, so don't hold them responsible. Back then people were easier to sway. No internet cell Phones, or lights for that matter.

Yeah as far as the underwear, God had nothing to do with that either.

I would not put much stock into anything Joseph Smith said that God told him directly. Instead Keep your faith close, and talk to God about it when your thinking about it, and you will get an answer sooner than latter.

edit on 22-3-2018 by kurthall because: add

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Please...

Since when did ANY religion actually stick to the ancient text they are based on ?!?! Lmao

Ever???

The Bible also says “never suffer a witch to live”...

You haven’t seen any local churches burning Wiccans lately have you??

No..

They cherry pick what verses matter this week.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
It is.

And it's Joseph, not John Smith. Know a little about the topic before s# all over it, huh?

eeyuck!

you are so bitter, i spitteth you from my mouth.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   

the lds church official news site basically attempts to discredit the accuser, even though the man is recorded on tape admitting to offenses.

and here's the lds church official response - the short version? A multi billion dollar Corporation with an army of lawyers, who has dealt with many lawsuits, who has hotlines to call in case abuse is reported so they can cover their asses - claims they don't have the resources and ability to investigate these claims.

Which.. Is literally, a man on a tape, saying he molested a girl, and admitting he has addictions and problems with treating women like objects and such, the lady interviewing is a victim I believe.

transcript

It's lengthy, but there's a direct quote "did you molest her?" direct answer "yes"

Also, do your own damn studying. Look up how cults are defined - the lds church can definitely be said it has cult like elements, if it is not outright a cult.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Please...

Since when did ANY religion actually stick to the ancient text they are based on ?!?! Lmao

Ever???

The Bible also says “never suffer a witch to live”...

You haven’t seen any local churches burning Wiccans lately have you??

No..

They cherry pick what verses matter this week.

I think I might have to repeat myself JC
Judaism is Old Testament teaching, burn witches, if a Jewess was a witch then yes, they would consider burning her

The New Testament, that are the teachings for Christians, New Testament, doesn't teach Christians to burn witches. Christians don't follow Moses law, don't follow the Old Testament

Two different religions, Two different books.
Just spend a minut or two thinking about it before replying

It seems you pick and choose what you want to believe without thinking or understanding

Christians don't burn witches because we are not Jews

We have done this dance before and you learned nothing

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

I'll admit the following is biased, and being a disaffected ex member doesn't mean I hold the truth about my old religion.

But... I think those things you mention, are just other issues within the church. Genealogy and records are done because they baptize and marry people post-mortem, essentially claiming that those lost souls can now be brought into the membership of their cult. It creates a huge amount of loyalty and elevation ( another emotion, which the church constantly tells people is "the spirit") in people to believe that they are saving the souls of their ancestors. It also deepens the grip the lds church has on people, to believe that they have the only access to their loved ones in the afterlife.

Emergency preparedness was huge about a decade or so ago when Gordon hinckley was their leader. He had more of a "prepare for the last days of the world" mantra about him than other newer leaders do - I live in a small town, though, so I could be seeing only a small portion of their operation - but as far as I know, they've stepped back quite a bit on this preparedness and such, since the more recent leaders are not giving subtle or not so subtle hints that the world is ending.

posted on Mar, 22 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I hope it was obvious I was just kidding in my previous post.

Ironically, I actually have less of a problem with the Mormon church than I do with some other churches and organized religion in general. Having done a fair amount of research into the history of the church (growing up in WY and going to college in UT), some of their traditions are at least consistent with their history. The Mormon church doesn't get a pass though either, and certainly not the fundamentalist Mormons (who are outright sick in my book).

Probably the biggest detractors of the Mormon church are those who mock the whole Joseph Smith thing with the golden plates and the sacrilege of what they perceive as the re-writing of the Bible. Frankly, to me, this is almost laughable when one considers the Bible itself wasn't written for a couple hundred years after Christ. These same people immediately discount the Mormons based almost solely upon this, which is pretty hypocritical it seems to me.

Almost all organized religions are based almost solely on fear. At least the Mormons take a bit of the edge off this with the family values angle, and they do have a fairly clean lifestyle on a day to day basis. Some of the inner workings of the church are a bit bizarre (the Temple wedding ritual thing chief among these), but the genealogy compilation is pretty staggering when one looks at it for what it is, Mormon or not.

From a business perspective they're pretty cliquish, certainly in UT anyway, but I guess it makes sense when again one looks back into their history back to the time when Brigham Young made the declaration 'this is the place' in what had previously been essentially a wasteland in the Wasatch valley. One huge prop I give to the church is the layout of SLC. It is hands down one of the best laid out cities in the US! Armed with a simple address a person can find absolutely any place in Salt Lake. Yeah, it's all centered around the church, but it sure works well.

They also got the whole girl thing right, that's for sure! Mormon girls are some of the prettiest women on planet Earth in my book (and no, I didn't marry one. Close though). Guys, not so much.

All in all, I don't know, I can certainly think of worse.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join