It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God and the Temporal Lobes of the Brain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
God Module

Interesting discovery. Suggests that maybe the drive to understand the 'mystical' forces us to label our beliefs and quantify them. By that I mean, simply, create an understanding through story and myth based on the inner yearnings pressed on us from the God Module of the brain.

Which begs the question, what evolutionary requirement does religion statisfy?

Nature encourages adaptation through mutation and evolution. If the God module is a component embued in man through natural evolution, what is its purpose?

[edit on 17-2-2005 by thegreatimposter]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Good post!

Evolution doesn't just advance species by rewarding adaptation, it also punishes species for unsuitable adaptation. This module could be the result of an evolution that simply was not punished, rather than one that was actively rewarded. That being said, evolution could have rewarded primitive man in any number of ways. We can only speculate..so here goes!

All throughout human history, as far back as religion, there have been heretics. Those who believe, and those who don't. Those without the module were often killed by those with, and vice versa because of religious differences. Various Gods have had countless soldiers on their side, slaying all non-believers, I would argue the same number and fervor of adherents, historically had no match. Those who believed in God were more inspired killers.

Maybe the God module was an extension, a natural outgrowth, of the abstract thinking adaptation that led man to so many of his great wonders (and blunders). The ability to 'think well' is obviously a benefit for even the most primitive hunter/gatherer.

Maybe the module was a mutation that actually preceded mans inteligence, a spark to light the fire so to speak. I think the physiology proves this impossible, seeing as the back brain evolved first, and the forebrain last, but I'll throw it out there and see what gets caught.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Very interesting speculations.

I am interested in the suggestion that the God module is a device to provide man with a natural population regulator, by providing an ideal fuelled by intense passion. The relgious wars of mans history could be associated with this line of thought. Nature gives man the religious ideas. Man pursures them passionately, even violently, thus regulating population through war.

I'm not totally convinced of this, probably because I want to believe in a supreme being, but the irony of that is that it could be my Module acting against my logical side.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:27 AM
link   
It may be possible that the other 89% comes into play when we reach a particular stage of development. That achievment as many would think is achieved possibly through education.

My belief is that that other 89% holds the keys of the world. What we call education is merely discovery of what is already known.

This could envelope allot of areas. ALternative Dimensions, Aging, Disease, History, the future, life, God, and everything that we are continually debating.

Ill leave it at that.

Peace

[edit on 17-2-2005 by HIFIGUY]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Unfortunately the ten percent myth needs to die, it's lived a good life, but is invariably false.

ten percent myth

Not to say paranormal powers are not possible, just to clarify that we have all believed in the ten percent myth for way to long, time to put it to rest...

top topics

join