It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self preservation in the social media world? Top security execs fleeing...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Twitter’s chief information security officer is leaving the company

Twitter’s chief information security officer is leaving the company, sources familiar with the matter have told The Verge. Michael Coates, who joined the company in January 2015, is quitting to start his own company, sources said. Coates announced the move internally about three weeks ago, sources said, but had not announced the move externally.

Twitter declined to comment.

News of Coates’ departure comes on the same day that Michael Zelewski, director of information security engineering at Google, announced his departure from that company after 11 years. And it comes two days after reports that Alex Stamos, Facebook’s chief security officer, plans to leave the company in August. The departures come at a time when tech companies are under mounting pressure to prevent their platforms from being misused by foreign governments and other bad actors ahead of the 2018 midterm elections.

What an interesting trifecta.

Here's my theory.

These guys are jumping ship because they see the writing on the wall. People are finally getting pissed about the misuse of their data. Eventually, calls for accountability will result in real action. As I'm willing to bet the farm that ALL of these guys know where the ticking time bombs are, they're getting out before the big kaboom.

About damn time.
edit on 21-3-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

As I read on Twitter today, mayhaps it's time for MySpace to make a comeback?

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
S&F. Another thing to watch.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

We need new social media where peoples rights and information are protected and they have the right to anonymity..

thats my two cents anyway

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

But...but..how would the Holy Corporations ever get the Holy data to sell PureCrap to Sheepy consumers! The horror!!!

...Yeah, I agree with you.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Best approach until then may be not to put so much personal information into social media sites.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I will worst case project it.
Imagine before war in past if Hitler had taken over social media sites if they were present back then...

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus 13

Best approach until then may be not to put so much personal information into social media sites.

Yes i have just about weaned myself off. That being said I do miss it sometimes. I have been looking for a good alternative but am yes to find one. I am sure something will come about in time.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

I will worst case project it.
Imagine before war in past if Hitler had taken over social media sites if they were present back then...

In my opinion something just as bad as Hitler is running the show here.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Good
seems a little self control online can go a long way.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I won't throw that lightning bolt yet

Things do seem suspect though (globally)

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
So it's been FB all along for the reason for all my spam emails. I'm talking with a attorney and going to start a suit. They used my image before and their was a class action I participated in and only got a $15 dollar check. This time I am investing and going to sue them direct. I suggest you all do the same, let's bankrupt FB!

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Things do seem suspect though (globally)

They sure do!

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Zuckerberg is about to be halled in front of politicians that are angry about their choice hillary losing, and demand answers for why facebook data was allowed to be taken by a company that used that info to help trump.

Then once the gnashing of teeth about how evil trump is and the sheer disbelief of how a disgusting it was for a company working for trump used this data, and zuckerberg assuring his pro hillary friends that he too thinks it was terrible and it wont happen again,

someone may ask "Oh and didnt you guys at facebook yourselves literally do the excat same thing to help Obama?"

And then we will get to watch the spin masters work, discussing how that should be allowed, and facebook needs to make sure no one but the democratic party can do this, and make sure that more conservatives are censored off of their platform.

It will be a fun circus to watch!

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I doubt that will come up in his CNN interview tonight.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

I doubt that will come up in his CNN interview tonight.

Wait, are you telling me that CNN will not bring up something that could hurt the democratic party?

Surely not!!!

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Will be fun to watch, nonetheless.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I don't normally support Government regulation, but when it comes to stopping Corporations from taking advantage of consumers it might be a necessary evil. I value my privacy and unfortunately these CEOs don't.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

People are finally getting pissed about the misuse of their data

It took long enough. But this is just more proof that capitalism is immoral, destructive and unsustainable. If stupid business people didn't believe in the stupid lie of infinite growth maybe they wouldn't be so eager to screw us over.

posted on Mar, 21 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I don't normally support Government regulation, but when it comes to stopping Corporations from taking advantage of consumers it might be a necessary evil. I value my privacy and unfortunately these CEOs don't.
I gave you that star, why? Cause I truly respect most of your opinions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join